Why is Root-2 in the Denominator of the Homework Solution?

  • Thread starter Thread starter sugz
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Homework
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 1K views
sugz
Messages
110
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Attached below

Homework Equations


E = [kq/r^2]r -------> r is the unit vector

The Attempt at a Solution


I did the same thing as the solution below, however, I do not understand why there is root-2 in the denominator. I would appreciate it if someone could explain this to me.
 
Attachments
  • PhysQ.PNG
    PhysQ.PNG
    10.9 KB · Views: 510
  • PhysA.PNG
    PhysA.PNG
    69.7 KB · Views: 505
Physics news on Phys.org
How would you express the unit vector going from each Q to point P?
 
DelcrossA said:
How would you express the unit vector going from each Q to point P?
it would be E=[kQ/d^2]i
 
sugz said:
it would be E=[kQ/d^2]i

That's for one of the Q's. What about for the other one?

Note that it's essential to make sure you have set up a clear coordinate system for the problem.