1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Atwood's Machine, massive pulley and upwards force acting upon it.

1. Feb 19, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The usual configuration of an Atwood's Machine.
    Two masses: m1, m2
    Accelerations (unknown): a1, a2, ap (Pulley)
    Rope Tension: T (Unknown)
    BUT:
    Massive pulley: mp
    Upwards force acting on pulley (i.e the pulley is not in equilibrium): F

NOTE: Consider that all the pulley's mass in concentrated at the center of the pulley, so as not to consider the moment of inertia. (Is this ok?)

Question: Find the tension T, and the accelerations a1, a2.

2. Relevant equations
    Newton's Second Law

3. The attempt at a solution
    So this is what I tried:
    Analyzing the pulley.
    F - 2T - mp . g = mp . ap............................................(I)

Analyzing the whole System as a unit:
    F - (mp + m1 + m2) . g = (mp + m1 + m2) . ap.............(II)

Analyzing m1:
    T - m1 . g = m1 . a1...................................................(III)

From (II) I derived ap in terms of known constants, then I replaced ap (in terms of the constants) in (I) and I found T in terms of known constants. Finally I replaced the equation for T in (III).

So this is what I've got. Did I miss anything? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks-

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

That is only OK if the operation of the machine means that the pulley does not rotate.

The approach you want is to draw three free-body diagrams, one for each mass and another for the pulley. You need to relate the tensions to the torques on the pulley.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook