Why Is the Angular Velocity of a Clockwise-Spinning CD in the -y Direction?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Qnslaught
Messages
8
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A CD player spins a disc in a clockwise direction when looking at the player from the top. What is the direction of the angular velocity.


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


OK, the key for this practice exam says the answer is in the -y direction. I used the right hand rule to see that the direction is negative, but I thought it would be in the -z direction. Can someone explain why it is -y?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I believe they have made the answer this way as you are only using two dimensions. If you take the vertical y-axis as the axle for the rotation, your right thumb will be pointing in the negative y-direction when you use the right hand rule.