Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why is the Harmonic Oscillator so common in physics?

1. Jul 13, 2012 #1
    I've heard before that it's because when you expand around a minimum point in the potential energy you get a quadratic function, but I can't recall where I read this. Can anyone point me in the right direction, or give their own explanation?

I only ask because I just solved a problem in my research by assuming that the resistive force to something is F=-kx which of course leads to harmonic oscillation - and this was completely unexpected - nobody knew that the resistive force should be, it just happens that it fits the data bang on.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 13, 2012 #2

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

When you expand any "smooth" function as a Taylor series about ##x = a## you have
    ##f(x) = f(a) + f'(a)(x-a) + f''(a)(x-a)^2/2## plus higher powers of ##(x-a)##

At a minimum (or maximum) the first derivative ##f'(a) = 0## so ##f(x)## is approximately a quadratic.

Any book on optimisation theory or multi-variable calculus should give the corresponding results for functions of more than one variable.

4. Jul 13, 2012 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

To expand a little on what AlephZero wrote...
    If the potential approximates f(a) + f''(a)x2 then the restorative force, the derivative of the potential, is linear. At an energy minimum, the coefficient is negative, producing SHM.

5. Jul 18, 2012 #4
    That's really helpful guys, cheers.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook