Why is the human retina so large?

• Thread starter fluidistic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Human
In summary, the retina of humans covers about 65% of the surface of the interior of our eyes, but most light is focused around the fovea centralis, which results in a loss of resolution for light not focused there. However, the remaining light is sufficient for detecting movement, which is often the most important visual information. This explains the purpose of having a large retina, as it allows for a wide range of light detection.
fluidistic
Gold Member
Apparently the retina of humans covers about 65% of the surface of the interior of our eyes.
But most light is focused around the fovea centralis and if it isn't focused around there, we lose resolution. I understand that at night it's better not to focus too close to the fovea centralis but still, I see no way that light somehow ever reaches maybe 40% or 50% of cone and rod cells.
Am I missing something? Why do we have a so large retina?

Biology news on Phys.org
fluidistic said:
But most light is focused around the fovea centralis
Is it? The light from the center of our field of view, sure. The light from other directions is not.
We lose resolution, but it is still sufficient to see moving things - and in general, something that moves is very interesting and you don't want to miss it.

Likes sneakycooky and fluidistic
mfb said:
Is it? The light from the center of our field of view, sure. The light from other directions is not.
We lose resolution, but it is still sufficient to see moving things - and in general, something that moves is very interesting and you don't want to miss it.
That explains everything, thanks. I just tested with my finger and I all makes sense now, I guess almost all or all cones indeed get light.

1. Why is the human retina so large?

The human retina is large to optimize our visual acuity and to allow us to see fine details and perceive a wide range of colors. It also allows us to have a wide field of vision, which is important for survival.

2. How does the size of the human retina affect our vision?

The size of the human retina directly affects our visual acuity and the sharpness of our vision. The larger the retina, the more light-sensitive cells (rods and cones) it contains, which allows us to see more details and colors.

3. Do all animals have a large retina?

No, not all animals have a large retina. Some animals, such as birds and reptiles, have a smaller retina compared to their body size. This is because they have other visual adaptations, such as a higher concentration of light-sensitive cells, to compensate for their smaller retina.

4. Can the size of the human retina change?

No, the size of the human retina is genetically determined and does not change during our lifetime. However, certain diseases or conditions, such as macular degeneration, can cause changes in the size of the retina.

5. Are there any disadvantages to having a large retina?

Having a large retina can make us more prone to vision problems, such as retinal detachment, as there is more surface area for potential issues to occur. Additionally, a larger retina requires more energy to function, which may explain why humans have a high calorie intake compared to other animals.