Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why is the human retina so large?

1. Apr 2, 2015 #1

fluidistic

Gold Member

Apparently the retina of humans covers about 65% of the surface of the interior of our eyes.
    But most light is focused around the fovea centralis and if it isn't focused around there, we lose resolution. I understand that at night it's better not to focus too close to the fovea centralis but still, I see no way that light somehow ever reaches maybe 40% or 50% of cone and rod cells.
    Am I missing something? Why do we have a so large retina?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 2, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Is it? The light from the center of our field of view, sure. The light from other directions is not.
    We lose resolution, but it is still sufficient to see moving things - and in general, something that moves is very interesting and you don't want to miss it.

4. Apr 2, 2015 #3

fluidistic

Gold Member

That explains everything, thanks. I just tested with my finger and I all makes sense now, I guess almost all or all cones indeed get light.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook