Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dumb What kind of Object is 'My PC/This PC' in Windows 8.1?

Tags:
  1. Apr 6, 2015 #1

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Just a dumb question:

What kind of object is 'My PC' in Windows 8.1 ?
    when one goes to 'file explorer' , it contains a collection of folders. So I thought it is a directory, but
    my friend disagrees with me. Who's right?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2015 #2

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Is it not the same thing as "My Computer"? If so, it's the collection of all drives on your computer, which would contain all folders and all files.

You did not say what your friend thinks it is, so we cannot possibly claim he is right or wrong.

BTW, 'folders' and 'directories' are synonymous.

Since you are looking at a collection of folders/directories, one could say you are certainly looking at a directory.

4. Apr 6, 2015 #3

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, but 'MyPC' does not contain all the folders in the computer. AFAIK, a directory is a collection of folders.

5. Apr 6, 2015 #4

DaveC426913

Gold Member

How do you know? :smile:

A directory/folder is a container for files and/or directories/folders.

Directory is a PC term. Folder is simply a user-friendlier Mac synonym of the same entity.

6. Apr 6, 2015 #5

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I know because when I go to 'File Explorer' there is a graphical description of the file/folder structure. There are folders (literally) below 'MyPC' , which indicates these folders are contained in my PC , and there are other folders not directly below 'My PC' , showing these are not subfolders of it. For example, 'Desktop' is not contained or is a part of 'My PC'.
    But you're right, the term 'folders' is equivalent to 'directories'.

7. Apr 6, 2015 #6

DaveC426913

Gold Member

'Desktop' is a shortcut to a folder (users/documents/<yourusername/desktop> or somesuch) on your PC. Likely, others are 'Printers', and other such commonly-used locations.

It's a directory/folder structure that's been horribly bloated, corrupted and spaghettified with non-folder/directory functionality via the feature-creepy-bloatware style of MS.

8. Apr 6, 2015 #7

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't know enough about computers to pass a judgment; my biggest beef is the constant change of interface. Would gates like to have his car changed so that the steering wheel is in the roof, the pedal is on the left door, etc? The structure of the car may change, but the 'interface' does not have to.

9. Apr 7, 2015 #8

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Amen, brudduh, amen.

10. Apr 7, 2015 #9

OCR

Yeah, I think so... it's just called "This PC".

Looks something like this?

This PC(1).JPG
    Or this?

This PC(2).JPG

11. Apr 7, 2015 #10

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

12. Apr 10, 2015 #11

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Furthermore, in Windows, a file and a directory are both files, with the difference being that a directory has the directory bit (FILE_ATTRIBUTE_DIRECTORY) set in its attributes.

13. Apr 10, 2015 #12

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I just checked, and 'My PC' is not a directory: I used CLI , with the command CD My Computer, and the reply I got was that the path could not be found.

14. Apr 10, 2015 #13

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Well, OK. Sure. It's not literally a directory type of object. I thought you meant what is it functionally.

Apologies. I misunderstood.

15. Apr 10, 2015 #14

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No problem, DaveC, sorry myself for my useless nitpick, I am plenty confused about windows.. Just trying to figure things out myself --just give me a pepsi, all I want is a pepsi....

Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
  16. Apr 10, 2015 #15

OCR

I no doubt have a misunderstanding also, but it really is called... "This PC."

Desktop(1).JPG

If you can stand to do a bunch of reading, this seems to be a good site... it's my "go to" anyway.

https://www.winhelp.us/
    https://www.winhelp.us/sitemap.html [Broken]

Of course, you did do a Google search? :oldbiggrin:

https://www.google.com/#q=what+is+this+pc+in+windows+8.1

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  17. Apr 11, 2015 #16

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks, OCR, all. Problem with google searches is that, unless you know the topic well-enough, it is difficult to filter out the garbage.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
  18. Apr 11, 2015 #17

OCR

Ah, OK... maybe not.

If you click the "Properties" of This PC, you should see something about like this.?

System(1).JPG

The Properties of This PC (object) just shows your System Information... Hell, I don't know... lol... :oldbiggrin:

No ****... lol

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
  19. Apr 11, 2015 #18

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks all for your patience with my weirdness about this.

20. Apr 11, 2015 #19

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook