Dumb What kind of Object is 'My PC/This PC' in Windows 8.1?

  • Thread starter Thread starter WWGD
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    pc Windows
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
18 replies · 3K views
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Messages
7,908
Reaction score
13,226
Just a dumb question:

What kind of object is 'My PC' in Windows 8.1 ?
when one goes to 'file explorer' , it contains a collection of folders. So I thought it is a directory, but
my friend disagrees with me. Who's right?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Is it not the same thing as "My Computer"? If so, it's the collection of all drives on your computer, which would contain all folders and all files.You did not say what your friend thinks it is, so we cannot possibly claim he is right or wrong.

BTW, 'folders' and 'directories' are synonymous.

Since you are looking at a collection of folders/directories, one could say you are certainly looking at a directory.
 
Well, but 'MyPC' does not contain all the folders in the computer. AFAIK, a directory is a collection of folders.
 
WWGD said:
Well, but 'MyPC' does not contain all the folders in the computer.
How do you know? :smile:

WWGD said:
AFAIK, a directory is a collection of folders.
A directory/folder is a container for files and/or directories/folders.

Directory is a PC term. Folder is simply a user-friendlier Mac synonym of the same entity.
 
DaveC426913 said:
How do you know?A directory/folder is a collection of files and/or directories/folders.

Directory is a PC term. Folder is simply a user-friendlier Mac synonym of the same entity.

I know because when I go to 'File Explorer' there is a graphical description of the file/folder structure. There are folders (literally) below 'MyPC' , which indicates these folders are contained in my PC , and there are other folders not directly below 'My PC' , showing these are not subfolders of it. For example, 'Desktop' is not contained or is a part of 'My PC'.
But you're right, the term 'folders' is equivalent to 'directories'.
 
WWGD said:
folders not directly below 'My PC' , showing these are not subfolders of it. For example, 'Desktop' is not contained or is a part of 'My PC'.
'Desktop' is a shortcut to a folder (users/documents/<yourusername/desktop> or somesuch) on your PC. Likely, others are 'Printers', and other such commonly-used locations.

It's a directory/folder structure that's been horribly bloated, corrupted and spaghettified with non-folder/directory functionality via the feature-creepy-bloatware style of MS.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 256bits
I don't know enough about computers to pass a judgment; my biggest beef is the constant change of interface. Would gates like to have his car changed so that the steering wheel is in the roof, the pedal is on the left door, etc? The structure of the car may change, but the 'interface' does not have to.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 256bits
WWGD said:
I don't know enough about computers to pass a judgment; my biggest beef is the constant change of interface. Would gates like to have his car changed so that the steering wheel is in the roof, the pedal is on the left door, etc? The structure of the car may change, but the 'interface' does not have to.
Amen, brudduh, amen.
 
DaveC426913 said:
Is it not the same thing as "My Computer"?
Yeah, I think so... it's just called "This PC".

Looks something like this?

This PC(1).JPG

Or this?

This PC(2).JPG
 
DaveC426913 said:
A directory/folder is a container for files and/or directories/folders.

Directory is a PC term. Folder is simply a user-friendlier Mac synonym of the same entity.
Furthermore, in Windows, a file and a directory are both files, with the difference being that a directory has the directory bit (FILE_ATTRIBUTE_DIRECTORY) set in its attributes.
 
I just checked, and 'My PC' is not a directory: I used CLI , with the command CD My Computer, and the reply I got was that the path could not be found.
 
Well, OK. Sure. It's not literally a directory type of object. I thought you meant what is it functionally.

Apologies. I misunderstood.
 
No problem, DaveC, sorry myself for my useless nitpick, I am plenty confused about windows.. Just trying to figure things out myself --just give me a pepsi, all I want is a pepsi...
 
Last edited:
Thanks, OCR, all. Problem with google searches is that, unless you know the topic well-enough, it is difficult to filter out the garbage.
 
Last edited:
OCR said:
I no doubt have a misunderstanding also...
Ah, OK... maybe not.

If you click the "Properties" of This PC, you should see something about like this.?

System(1).JPG
The Properties of This PC (object) just shows your System Information... Hell, I don't know... lol... :oldbiggrin:

Problem with google searches is that, unless you know the topic well-enough, it is difficult to filter out the garbage.
No dang... lol
 
Last edited:
Thanks all for your patience with my weirdness about this.