Dumb What kind of Object is 'My PC/This PC' in Windows 8.1?

• Thread starter WWGD
  • Start date
  • Tags
    windows
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2019 Award
Just a dumb question:

What kind of object is 'My PC' in Windows 8.1 ?
when one goes to 'file explorer' , it contains a collection of folders. So I thought it is a directory, but
my friend disagrees with me. Who's right?

Answers and Replies

DaveC426913
Gold Member
Is it not the same thing as "My Computer"? If so, it's the collection of all drives on your computer, which would contain all folders and all files.

You did not say what your friend thinks it is, so we cannot possibly claim he is right or wrong.

BTW, 'folders' and 'directories' are synonymous.

Since you are looking at a collection of folders/directories, one could say you are certainly looking at a directory.

WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2019 Award
Well, but 'MyPC' does not contain all the folders in the computer. AFAIK, a directory is a collection of folders.

DaveC426913
Gold Member
Well, but 'MyPC' does not contain all the folders in the computer.
How do you know? :smile:

AFAIK, a directory is a collection of folders.
A directory/folder is a container for files and/or directories/folders.

Directory is a PC term. Folder is simply a user-friendlier Mac synonym of the same entity.

WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2019 Award
How do you know?

A directory/folder is a collection of files and/or directories/folders.

Directory is a PC term. Folder is simply a user-friendlier Mac synonym of the same entity.
I know because when I go to 'File Explorer' there is a graphical description of the file/folder structure. There are folders (literally) below 'MyPC' , which indicates these folders are contained in my PC , and there are other folders not directly below 'My PC' , showing these are not subfolders of it. For example, 'Desktop' is not contained or is a part of 'My PC'.
But you're right, the term 'folders' is equivalent to 'directories'.

DaveC426913
Gold Member
folders not directly below 'My PC' , showing these are not subfolders of it. For example, 'Desktop' is not contained or is a part of 'My PC'.
'Desktop' is a shortcut to a folder (users/documents/<yourusername/desktop> or somesuch) on your PC. Likely, others are 'Printers', and other such commonly-used locations.

It's a directory/folder structure that's been horribly bloated, corrupted and spaghettified with non-folder/directory functionality via the feature-creepy-bloatware style of MS.

Likes 256bits
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2019 Award
I don't know enough about computers to pass a judgment; my biggest beef is the constant change of interface. Would gates like to have his car changed so that the steering wheel is in the roof, the pedal is on the left door, etc? The structure of the car may change, but the 'interface' does not have to.

Likes 256bits
DaveC426913
Gold Member
I don't know enough about computers to pass a judgment; my biggest beef is the constant change of interface. Would gates like to have his car changed so that the steering wheel is in the roof, the pedal is on the left door, etc? The structure of the car may change, but the 'interface' does not have to.
Amen, brudduh, amen.

OCR
Is it not the same thing as "My Computer"?
Yeah, I think so... it's just called "This PC".

Looks something like this?

This PC(1).JPG

Or this?

This PC(2).JPG

A directory/folder is a container for files and/or directories/folders.

Furthermore, in Windows, a file and a directory are both files, with the difference being that a directory has the directory bit (FILE_ATTRIBUTE_DIRECTORY) set in its attributes.

WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2019 Award
I just checked, and 'My PC' is not a directory: I used CLI , with the command CD My Computer, and the reply I got was that the path could not be found.

DaveC426913
Gold Member
Well, OK. Sure. It's not literally a directory type of object. I thought you meant what is it functionally.

Apologies. I misunderstood.

WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2019 Award
No problem, DaveC, sorry myself for my useless nitpick, I am plenty confused about windows.. Just trying to figure things out myself --just give me a pepsi, all I want is a pepsi....

Last edited:
OCR
Last edited by a moderator:
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2019 Award
Thanks, OCR, all. Problem with google searches is that, unless you know the topic well-enough, it is difficult to filter out the garbage.

Last edited:
OCR
I no doubt have a misunderstanding also...
Ah, OK... maybe not.

If you click the "Properties" of This PC, you should see something about like this.?

System(1).JPG

The Properties of This PC (object) just shows your System Information... Hell, I don't know... lol... :oldbiggrin:

Problem with google searches is that, unless you know the topic well-enough, it is difficult to filter out the garbage.
No dang... lol

Last edited:
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2019 Award
Thanks all for your patience with my weirdness about this.

robphy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member