Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Why is this Isometry a rotation?

1. Jun 27, 2016 #1
    Hello,

i need a little help. Did someone have an idea how to prove this?

Thanks in advance.

Be ##\Phi## an direct isometry of the euclidean Space ##\mathbb{R}^3## with

##\Phi (\begin{pmatrix} 2\\0 \\1 \end{pmatrix})##=##\begin{pmatrix} 2\\1 \\0 \end{pmatrix}## and ##\Phi (\begin{pmatrix} 1\\1 \\0 \end{pmatrix}) ##=## \frac{1}{3} \begin{pmatrix} 1\\4 \\1 \end{pmatrix}##

Why is ##\Phi## a rotation?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2016 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

All schoolwork-type question should be posted in the Homework Help forums, and you need to show your efforts toward solving the question. Advanced schoolwork questions are sometimes allowed in the technical forums, but only if the poster shows substantial work.

Can you say what level class this is for, and please show your thoughts for how to proceed?

4. Jun 27, 2016 #3

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

Is it? Have you calculated the angles between the vectors before and after? Or the matrix wrt the basis (1,0,0), (0,1,0) and (0,0,1)?

5. Jun 27, 2016 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

It might also be a good idea to start with defining what you understand under "rotation" and "direct isometry".

6. Jun 28, 2016 #5

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

you might ask yourself whether every linear isometry might actually be an isometry, and if not why not. If you know the basic theory there is only one number to compute, (and that only up to sign!).

7. Jul 6, 2016 #6

chiro

Science Advisor

Hey Doradus.

In addition to the above advice I'd write down the conditions for a rotation matrix.

Hint - Think about determinants and other matrix properties of rotation matrices.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted