1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why is velocity in body fixed frame equals to angular veloc?

1. Jun 18, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I don't understand, physically speaking, how do we get from the first equation to the second: how do we get the fact that velocity in body fixed frame equals to angular velocity in body fixed frame.

Furthermore I dont' understand how we get the angular velocity in inertial frame:

2. Relevant equations

\begin{align*}\underbrace{\dot q}_{\text{Velocity in inertial frame}}&=\underbrace{\dot R p}_\text{Position in body fixed frame}:\hat \omega^b\ \text{This okay for me}\\
    \underbrace{R^T\dot q}_{\text{Velocity in body fixed frame}}&=\underbrace{R^T\dot R p}_\text{Angular velocity in body fixed frame}\text{I don't understand}\end{align*}

the angular velocity in inertial frame

\begin{align*}\underbrace{\dot q}_{\text{Velocity in inertial frame}}&=\underbrace{\dot R R^Tq}_\text{angular velocity in inertial frame}:\hat \omega^s \ \text{I don't understand}
    \end{align*}

3. The attempt at a solution

My callsmate told me in the bus that he wasn't sure if my equations were quite right...

Can you help me understand these equations?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 22, 2016 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted