1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derive the terrestrial equation of motion in the body-fixed frame

1. Jan 24, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Assume that the center of mass of the earth moves with approximately constant velocity with respect to the fixed stars, and that [itex]\mathbf{\omega}[/itex], the angular velocity of the earth, is constant. Rederive the terrestrial equations of motion
    [tex]\mathbf{F}'+m\mathbf{g}[/tex][tex]m\ddot{\mathbf{r}}-2m\mathbf{\omega}\times\dot{\mathbf{r}}[/tex]
    By writing Newton's laws in a body-fixed frame with the origin at the surface of the earth.

2. Relevant equations

For a particle with coordinates [itex]\mathbf{r}_0[/itex] in the inertial frame and [itex]\mathbf{r}[/itex] in the body-fixed frame, where the origin of the body fixed frame is at the instantaneous point [itex]\mathbf{a}[/itex] with respect to the inertial frame.
    [tex]\mathbf{r}_0 = \mathbf{a}+\mathbf{r}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm pretty confused on where to start here. I know that in the inertial frame [itex]\mathbf{F}=m\mathbf{A}[/itex]. Could anyone help get me started, or point me towards some literature on this?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2014 #2
    wait I think I just arrived at the first equation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted