Why isn't my homemade DC motor working?

In summary: John are discussing how to troubleshoot a two-coil DC motor project. Dave mentions that there are multiple reasons the motor might not be working, such as the magnets not being of opposite polarity, the coils not producing strong enough fields, or a poor connection to the aluminium commutator. John suggests that using a soft iron core for the coils and having a heavier rotor could potentially solve the issue. He also suggests sharing photos of the setup to further troubleshoot. In summary, Dave and John discuss various potential problems with the DC motor project and suggest possible solutions such as checking the polarity of the magnets, using a soft iron core for the coils, and having a heavier rotor.
shwaze
I am building a two coil DC motor as a project. I have two neodymium magnets, an aluminium split ring, and alligator clips acting as brushes, connected to a 9v battery. For some reason it is not working and I cannot figure out why. Can anyone think of something I may be doing wrong. I can post photos if needed. Thank you!

Engineering news on Phys.org
There are lots of reasons a motor might not work.

The magnets have to be of opposite polarity. Are they? Get a compass and check them or note which way the magnets attract each other.

The coils have to produce magnetic fields that are strong enough and of opposite polarity.
This means you have to have a lot of turns or a lot of current. A 9v battery is unlikely to give much current.

Coils with a soft iron core can generate stronger fields than coils without cores.

You may have a poor connection to the aluminium commutator. Connecting copper wire to aluminium is difficult.

The rotor needs to have as much mass as needed to keep the rotor turning when it isn't getting power.
Simple motors only get power in brief pulses.

some photos of your setup may help us to see where the problems areDave

1. Why won't my homemade DC motor turn?

There could be several reasons why your homemade DC motor is not turning. One possible reason is that the connections between the battery, wire, and magnets are not secure. Make sure all connections are tightly secured. Another reason could be that the wire used is not strong enough to support the weight of the magnets. Try using a thicker wire or adding more copper coils. Finally, check to make sure the magnets are oriented correctly and are not repelling each other.

2. Why is my homemade DC motor turning too slowly?

If your homemade DC motor is turning slowly, it could be due to several reasons. First, check the battery to make sure it has enough power to generate the necessary electric current. If the battery is weak, try replacing it with a fresh one. Additionally, the wire used may be too thin, causing resistance and slowing down the motor. Try using a thicker wire or adding more coils. Finally, make sure the magnets are strong enough to create a strong magnetic field, which is necessary for the motor to turn at a good speed.

3. Why is my homemade DC motor not producing any torque?

If your homemade DC motor is not producing any torque, it could be due to a few factors. First, check the connections between the battery, wire, and magnets to ensure they are secure. If the connections are loose, the motor will not be able to generate enough torque to turn. Additionally, make sure the wire used is properly insulated to prevent any short circuits. Finally, check the orientation of the magnets to make sure they are aligned correctly and creating a strong magnetic field.

4. Why is my homemade DC motor getting hot?

If your homemade DC motor is getting hot, it could be due to excessive resistance in the wire. This can be caused by using a wire that is too thin or too long, or by having too few copper coils. To prevent the motor from overheating, try using a thicker wire or adding more coils. Additionally, make sure the battery is not providing too much voltage, as this can also cause the motor to heat up.

5. Why is my homemade DC motor not working at all?

If your homemade DC motor is not working at all, there could be a few reasons for this. First, check the battery to make sure it is charged and has enough power to generate an electric current. Next, check the connections between the battery, wire, and magnets to ensure they are secure. If all connections are secure and the battery has enough power, it could be an issue with the wire or magnets. Try using a different wire or checking the polarity of the magnets to ensure they are attracting each other.