Why Linear Programming at all?

In summary, linear programming is a systematic method for finding active constraints and solving optimization problems with linear constraints and an objective function. It is more efficient than using Lagrange multipliers, which require manually identifying active constraints and can be time-consuming for larger problems. The theories of corner points and duals are important for general optimization problems, not just for linear programming. The success of linear programming has led to numerous applications in various fields.
flyingpig
I am taking Linear Programming and I haven't completed the course yet, but here is my question.

I've notice that all these problems could have been solved just as easily with Lagrange multipliers.

We got a bunch of linear inequality constraints and an obj function, we can use Lagrange.

Why do we have all of these weird theories about corner points and duals and all?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The basic idea of the LP method is a systematic way to finding which inequality constraints are really equalities (i.e. active constraints) and which are not. Because it is systematic, it is relatively easy to write a computer program to implement it.

If you try to solve the problem using Lagrange multipliers, you have to figure out which constraints are active for yourself, from the Lagrange equations. That might be OK for a problem with 2 or 3 variables and 2 or 3 constraints, but if you try it on a "real world" problem with say 20 variables and 100 constraints (almost all of which are inactive, but you don't know which ones), you need a systematic procedure.

Apart from that, ideas like duals, Kuhn-Tucker conditions, etc also apply to general (nonlinear) optimisation problems, not just to LP problems.

Linear programming is one of the successes of Mathematical Optimization (some may say OR). If you look at your Weierstrass theorem and the Local-Global, you can have a very useful result for all LP problems that have a bounded and non-empty constraint set (solution set, also called opportunity set). Thus, what you basically need is an algorithm to find a solution, and by the previous theorems you know is Global.

In terms of applications, many EXIST. You can probably google that. You'll find more than plenty.

It is about efficiency. Many areas of mathematics are about solving problems that are easy to solve in principle. There are theoretical and practical reasons for wanting to know if a problem you know can be solved in 10^6 hours with 10^3 computers could be solved in 10^2 hours with 10^1 computers.

But we are talking about linear constraints and obj function here. Is it really faster?

flyingpig said:
But we are talking about linear constraints and obj function here. Is it really faster?

YES, it is faster because the preference direction (or gradient) of the obj function is constant, and thus the solution for LP is always a CORNER or a convex combination of two corners!. All algorithms look on the boundaries!. In contrast, NonLinear Programs can have a interior solution besides boundary solutions.

flyingpig said:
I am taking Linear Programming and I haven't completed the course yet, but here is my question.

I've notice that all these problems could have been solved just as easily with Lagrange multipliers.

We got a bunch of linear inequality constraints and an obj function, we can use Lagrange.

Why do we have all of these weird theories about corner points and duals and all?

The simplex method provides a fast way to solve a linear program on the computer. Do you know of a faster way using Lagrange multipliers?

1. Why is Linear Programming important in the field of science?

Linear Programming is important in science because it is a mathematical optimization technique that helps scientists make decisions and solve complex problems. It allows for the efficient allocation of resources and the maximization of desired outcomes, making it an essential tool in various scientific fields such as economics, engineering, and operations research.

2. What are the benefits of using Linear Programming?

The benefits of using Linear Programming include the ability to model and solve complex problems, the optimization of resources and outcomes, and the ability to find the best possible solution. It also allows for the identification of trade-offs and the evaluation of different scenarios, making it a valuable tool for decision-making.

3. How does Linear Programming work?

Linear Programming works by defining a set of decision variables and a set of constraints that represent the limitations of the problem. The objective function is then defined, which is the goal that needs to be maximized or minimized. The linear programming algorithm then finds the optimal values for the decision variables that satisfy all the constraints and optimize the objective function.

4. What types of problems can Linear Programming solve?

Linear Programming can solve a wide range of problems, including resource allocation, production planning, transportation and distribution, scheduling, and many others. It is particularly useful in problems that involve multiple decision variables and constraints and require optimization of the objective function.

5. What are the limitations of Linear Programming?

While Linear Programming is a powerful optimization tool, it has some limitations. It is based on the assumption that all relationships between decision variables and constraints are linear, which may not always be the case in real-world problems. It also requires precise and accurate input data, and small changes in the data can significantly affect the results. Additionally, it may not be suitable for solving highly complex problems with a large number of decision variables and constraints.