1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why not embed F/R into F?

1. Aug 28, 2008 #1

tgt

Why doesn't such an embedding exist? When R is a normal subgroup of F.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2008 #2

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why would such an embedding exist? Conceptually it doesn't make sense.

By way of example, can you embed Z/2Z into Z?

4. Aug 28, 2008 #3

tgt

Sure, I see the exampe but can you explain the conceptual part? How is it conceptual to you?

5. Aug 28, 2008 #4

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, if you think about it for a bit, what does it mean to be able to embed F/R into F? Intuitively, modding out by a subgroup means you collapse that subgroup to zero. So for F/R to be isomorphic to some subgroup of F, it would be necessary for R to be 'complemented' inside of F by another subgroup (think of complementation here as you would in the setting of vector spaces). I personally don't see any reason why one would believe every normal subgroup of F to have this property. (But I admit to being prejudiced: functional analysis has made me very suspicious of the process of complementation!)

To make this a bit more precise, we can use semidirect products: If F/R embeds into F, then F is essentially [itex]R \rtimes F/R[/itex]. It's easy to see that a necessary and sufficient condition for this to happen is that the canonical exact sequence

[tex]1 \longrightarrow R \longrightarrow F \longrightarrow F/R \longrightarrow 1[/tex]

splits.

By the way, is there any specific reason you're using F and R to denote groups?!

6. Aug 28, 2008 #5

tgt

Some good points raised. Although what does split mean?

Those notations naturally fit into the notation of a presentation.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?