Why only kinetic energy in the work-energy theorem?

In summary, the work-energy theorem states that the sum of the work done by the internal and external forces on a system equals the change in potential energy. However, this concept does not work correctly when the system is open to the outside world and energy is added from outside sources.
modulus
I'm getting really confused about a specific application of the work-energy theorem, and I'm hoping you guys at PF could help out.
I'll start out by stating three concepts I've learnt, and I'll develop the apparent contradiction I run into.

Number one. the negative of the work done by the conservative internal forces on a system equals the change in potential energy of the system. Fine. It sounds good. It feels good. It makes sense. And I don't have problems applying it.

Number two. The work done by the external forces on a system equals the change in total (mechanical) energy. It makes perfect sense. Sounds perfectly natural. And it's easy to apply. But, this is exactly where my problems start. From what I know, and how I've been using this concept, I understand that the change can be in the kinetic or the potential energy of the system.

And number three. This is what I'm not getting. The work done by all forces (external and internal) equals the change in kinetic energy of the system. From the first concept, we get that the work done by the internal forces is indeed the change in kinetic energy (it's like the work-energy theorem). But the second part says the external forces change the kinetic energy too (or I should say 'only'). But that doesn't make sense, the external forces can cause changes in the kinetic or potential energy. So the sum of the internal and external forces' work cannot account for only the change in kinetic energy.

And before ending the post, I need to give you one example where the external forces cause a change in potential energy. This example really confirmed my doubts. There was a spring of spring constant k. It had two equal masses attached on each side, and was pulled by a distance x/2 on each side. as I evaluated, the total work done by the external forces equaled the negative of the work done by the spring, and, most importantly, the increase in potential energy of the spring. So, external forces do change potential energy.

Please help...

Physics news on Phys.org
Number 1: it can't be correct, since a system can do work on another system, not on itself. And if you divide the system in two subsystems, and if the first does a certain amount of work to the second, then the second does minus the same amount of work to the first.

Number 2: correct, in absence of dissipative forces.

Number 3: same as 1.

I think maybe there is some confusion concerning Open and closed systems. For instance Number two states:
modulus said:
Number two. The work done by the external forces on a system equals the change in total (mechanical) energy.
By having an "external force" do work on the system the system is by definition not enclosed. You added energy from an outside source. If you include that outside source as part of the system then no change in the total energy (kinetic and potential) has occurred.

modulus said:
And number three. This is what I'm not getting. The work done by all forces (external and internal) equals the change in kinetic energy of the system.
If the kinetic energy came from external sources then it had to reduce the potential energy by the same amount, so the total energy did not change. However, if the work was done by an external source then the total energy of the system can increase, including both kinetic and potential. It does however cost that external source the same amount of energy gained by the system. So external energy can change the total energy of the system, internal energy can only trade kinetic and potential energy.

What is or is not internal or external to the system is purely up to you to define how you wish, but once defined any change in kinetic energy from internal sources alone exactly matches the loss of potential energy and visa versa. A pendulum is a system which merely oscillates between kinetic and potential energy.

Related to Why only kinetic energy in the work-energy theorem?

1. Why is kinetic energy the only type of energy that can be converted into other forms?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is the only type of energy that can be converted into other forms because all other forms of energy, such as potential energy, thermal energy, and electromagnetic energy, are derived from kinetic energy. This means that in order for these other forms of energy to exist, there must first be some sort of motion or movement.

2. How is kinetic energy converted into other forms of energy?

Kinetic energy can be converted into other forms of energy through various processes such as friction, heat transfer, and chemical reactions. For example, when a moving object comes into contact with a surface, the force of friction converts its kinetic energy into thermal energy, causing the object and surface to heat up. Similarly, when an object is heated, its molecules vibrate and move faster, resulting in an increase in kinetic energy.

3. Can potential energy be converted into kinetic energy?

Yes, potential energy can be converted into kinetic energy. Potential energy is the energy that is stored in an object due to its position or state. When this position or state changes, the potential energy is converted into kinetic energy. For example, when you release a stretched rubber band, the potential energy stored in the stretched band is converted into kinetic energy as it snaps back to its original position.

4. Why do we use kinetic energy in most energy conversion processes?

Kinetic energy is used in most energy conversion processes because it is easily accessible and can be easily converted into other forms of energy. In addition, kinetic energy can be easily measured and controlled, making it more practical for use in various applications. For example, in a hydroelectric power plant, the kinetic energy of moving water is converted into electrical energy, which is then used to power homes and businesses.

5. Is it possible to convert all forms of energy into kinetic energy?

No, it is not possible to convert all forms of energy into kinetic energy. This is because some forms of energy, such as nuclear energy and gravitational potential energy, cannot be directly converted into kinetic energy. However, these forms of energy can be converted into other forms, such as thermal energy or electrical energy, which can then be used to generate kinetic energy.