1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why s is substitute with jw in transfer function?

1. Jun 20, 2015 #1
    Can anybody explain to me briefly on why in a transfer function like G(s), we substitute s=jw such that it become G(jw) in order to find its gain value?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 21, 2015 #2
    You can explain it in a variety of ways, but I prefer this one, since it's quite general:

The only difference between the bilateral Laplace transform:
    $$
    G(s) = \mathcal{L}\{f(t)\} = \int_{-\infty}^\infty e^{-st} f(t)dt\\
    $$
    and the Fourier transform:
    $$
    H(\omega) = \mathcal{F}\{f(t)\} = \int_{-\infty}^\infty e^{-j\omega t} f(t) dt
    $$
    is the variable substitution ##s = j\omega##, i.e. ##H(\omega) = G(s)\left.\right|_{s = j\omega} = G(j\omega)##.

For some system with transfer function ##G(s)##, ##G(s)## is also its impulse response, which makes ##G(j\omega)## the Fourier transform of its impulse response.

More intuitively:
    To find the gain of a linear system at some frequency ##\omega##, you could apply a sinusoidal input with frequency ##\omega## and unity amplitude, and observe the amplitude of the output signal, which directly gives you the gain of the system at ##\omega##.

An ideal impulse has components with unity amplitude at all frequencies, and thus ##G(j\omega)## "picks out" the gain and phase of the system at ##\omega## from its impulse response.

Makes sense?

4. Jun 22, 2015 #3
    Wow, I like your answer. I am still a beginner in this kind of things and I can understand most of your answer. But one question. What is exactly a linear system?
    Thanks in advance

5. Jun 24, 2015 #4

donpacino

Gold Member

a big thing in looking at systems like this is knowing if they are linear and if they are time invarient.

you should know these

Linear:: more or less to be a linear system the sum of two inputs have to equal the sum of the two outputs
    x1(n)=y1(n)
    x2(n)=y2(n)
    so in order to be linear
    x1(n)+x2(n)=y1(n)+Y2(n)

then continue that out to inf and -inf

for a system that is time invariant, delaying the input by a constant delays the output by the same amount.

given the system x(t)=y(t)

x(t-d)=y(t-d) for all values of t and d

6. Jun 24, 2015 #5

donpacino

Gold Member

7. Jun 24, 2015 #6
    Generally,

## s = \sigma + j \omega##

When ##\sigma = 0##, ##s = j \omega##

## \sigma ## is the Neper frequency. It tells us the rate at which the function decays (when it is negative).

## \omega ## is the radial frequency. It tells us the rate at which the function oscillates.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook