Why should arguments of certain functions be dimensionless?

• Thread starter Nirmal Padwal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functions
In summary: It is good practice to sanity check that the physical quantity represented by an expression is in fact dimensionless.
Nirmal Padwal
Homework Statement
Solutions to physical problems often involve functions like
$$ cos u, sin u, e^u, ln u, · · · $$
where the argument ##u ## is a scalar that depends on physical quantities such as time,
frequency, mass, etc. Explain why u must be dimensionless (that is, independent of
the system of units used for mass, length, and time).
Relevant Equations
This is my approach:

These quantities namely mass, length, and time, are all additive in nature. ##2 m + 3m = 5 m ##. If the argument of the functions mentioned in the problem statement is not dimensionless, then mass, length or time do not remain additive in the image space of the functions. ## e^{2 m} + e^{3m} \neq e^{5m}##

Furthermore, if the arguments are dimensionless, the functions which were originally dimensionless have to be now themselves will have to be associated with physical quantities.

Is this reasoning valid?

Physics news on Phys.org
##\cos(u)=1-u^2/2+\ldots## so you can not summate 1 and dimensional variable

Regarding log the situation is little bit more interesting. You can write ##\log a-\log b## if ##a,b## are of the same dimension

Likes Nirmal Padwal, etotheipi and cnh1995
Thank you for your answer. It makes more sense than mine. So was my approach completely incorrect?

Nirmal Padwal said:
Is this reasoning valid?
No. You could say exactly the same if the arguments are dimensionless.

The thing you are asked to prove is not strictly true. Consider e.g. ##e^{\lambda t}##, where t is a time and λ is a rate, like fissions per unit time. ##\lambda t## is dimensionless, so ok. But we could rewrite it as ##(e^{\lambda })^t##. This appears to violate the principle.
The resolution is that ##e^{\lambda }## has dimension, but rather a strange one. Where λ has dimension T-1, we could write the dimension of ##e^{\lambda }## as ##e^{T^{-1}}##. When this is subsequently raised to the power of t, provided the time units are the same, it all comes out in the wash.

Likes Nirmal Padwal
Thank you for answering

The main result in dimensional analysis, the Buckingham pi-theorem, explains this. It is a quite powerful statement about the possible forms of physical relationships.

Edit: I also wrote an insight on this some time ago.

• Informative
Likes etotheipi
Orodruin said:
The main result in dimensional analysis, the Buckingham pi-theorem, explains this. It is a quite powerful statement about the possible forms of physical relationships.

Edit: I also wrote an insight on this some time ago.
I don't see that it follows from that theorem. See post #4.

Nirmal Padwal said:
Thank you for answering
I should also have discussed the trig functions.
If we are defining cos(x) as the limit of ##1-\frac 1{2!}x^2+\frac 1{4!}x^4..## then clearly x must be dimensionless since the different powers of x would have different dimension.
... unless, that is, it has some funny kind of dimension such that it becomes dimensionless when raised to an even power. See https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/can-angles-assigned-dimension/

haruspex said:
I don't see that it follows from that theorem. See post #4.
It does, the Buckingham pi-theorem essentially states that any physical relationship must be possible to write as a level curve of a function of a number of dimensionless quantities ##f(\pi_1,\ldots,\pi_k) = 0##. This means that if the variable I am interested in is in ##\pi_1## only (this can always be arranged), then
$$
\pi_1 = g(\pi_2, \ldots, \pi_k),
$$
where ##g## is a dimensionless function of dimensionless variables. In other words, if you are interested in the variable ##a## where ##\pi_1 = a/b## (##b## being some combination of other variables that make ##\pi_1## dimensionless), then
$$
a = b g(\pi_2, \ldots, \pi_k).
$$
Here, since ##g## is a dimensionless function of dimensionless variables ##\pi_i##, you have a normalising variable of the correct dimension (##b##) multiplied by a dimensionless function of dimensionless combinations.

Edit: In other words, any functional form (apart from a multiplicative factor) must be a function of dimensionless parameters.

Orodruin said:
It does, the Buckingham pi-theorem essentially states that any physical relationship must be possible to write as a level curve of a function of a number of dimensionless quantities ##f(\pi_1,\ldots,\pi_k) = 0##. This means that if the variable I am interested in is in ##\pi_1## only (this can always be arranged), then
$$
\pi_1 = g(\pi_2, \ldots, \pi_k),
$$
where ##g## is a dimensionless function of dimensionless variables. In other words, if you are interested in the variable ##a## where ##\pi_1 = a/b## (##b## being some combination of other variables that make ##\pi_1## dimensionless), then
$$
a = b g(\pi_2, \ldots, \pi_k).
$$
Here, since ##g## is a dimensionless function of dimensionless variables ##\pi_i##, you have a normalising variable of the correct dimension (##b##) multiplied by a dimensionless function of dimensionless combinations.

Edit: In other words, any functional form (apart from a multiplicative factor) must be a function of dimensionless parameters.
Ok, my mistake was failing to read this part properly: "Solutions to physical problems".
I am used to performing the sanity check that if e.g. I have a term eexpression then expression should be dimensionless. But I am aware that in principle it need not be, because the term as a whole need not represent a physical quantity (as in my example in post #4).

1. Why do scientists use dimensionless arguments in equations?

Dimensionless arguments are used in equations because they allow for easier comparison and analysis of data. By removing units, scientists can focus on the underlying relationships between variables without being influenced by the specific units used.

2. How do dimensionless arguments simplify calculations?

Dimensionless arguments simplify calculations by reducing the number of variables involved. This makes equations easier to manipulate and solve, and also allows for generalization of results across different systems.

3. Can dimensionless arguments be used for all types of functions?

Yes, dimensionless arguments can be used for all types of functions, as long as the variables involved are dimensionless. This means that the units of the variables must cancel out when multiplied together.

4. What is the importance of using dimensionless arguments in scientific research?

The use of dimensionless arguments in scientific research is important because it allows for more accurate and meaningful comparisons between different systems. It also helps to identify and understand the underlying relationships between variables.

5. Are there any limitations to using dimensionless arguments in equations?

One limitation of using dimensionless arguments is that it may not always be possible to remove all units from the equation. In some cases, units may be necessary to fully describe the system being studied. Additionally, the use of dimensionless arguments may not always be intuitive or easy to interpret for non-scientists.