Why there is no current flowsin a reverse-biased arrangement?

• Thread starter Yh Hoo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Current
In summary: O. Then i understand. That means this very small current contribute to the very small rise in reverse current right ? And how about in a forward biased arrangement ? will the thermally generated charged carriers constitute a small current ?In summary, in a reverse-biased arrangement, the thermally generated charged carriers do not constitute a current.
Yh Hoo
Why there is no current flowsin a reverse-biased arrangement??

Once the polarity of the external voltage is the same as that of the junction voltage, electrons from the P-TYPE semiconductor will flow out and be attracted towards the positive terminal of the battery and then to the p-type semiconductor to fill the positively charged holes in the P-region. Likewise holes flow from p-type to n-type. However everything here will stop until an equilibrium between charge carriers and the repelling depletion is reached. So before that ARENT THE FLOW OF CHARGE CARRIERS NOT CONSIDERED AS ELECTRIC CURRENT ?
from the graph, there is a small current !

Attachments

• 300px-Diode-IV-Curve.svg.png
    300px-Diode-IV-Curve.svg.png
    2.3 KB · Views: 454
Engineering news on Phys.org

Yh Hoo said:
Once the polarity of the external voltage is the same as that of the junction voltage, electrons from the P-TYPE semiconductor will flow out and be attracted towards the positive terminal of the battery and then to the p-type semiconductor to fill the positively charged holes in the P-region. Likewise holes flow from p-type to n-type. However everything here will stop until an equilibrium between charge carriers and the repelling depletion is reached. So before that ARENT THE FLOW OF CHARGE CARRIERS NOT CONSIDERED AS ELECTRIC CURRENT ?
from the graph, there is a small current !

Hi YhHoo, what you are describing is the redistribution of charge carriers under the conditions of changing (increasing in this case) reverse bias. This is a capacitive effect (the diode behaving like a capacitor). Yes, it most certainly does constitute a current, however this current is transient and will cease when the voltage stops changing. This current component is not seen on the static V/I characteristics you posted.

The static reverse current shown on your diagram is predominantly due to thermally generated carriers in (or near) the depletion region. It's scale is exaggerated for the purpose of showing it easily on the diagram. Similar the scale of the reverse voltage is compressed.

uart said:
Hi YhHoo, what you are describing is the redistribution of charge carriers under the conditions of changing (increasing in this case) reverse bias. This is a capacitive effect (the diode behaving like a capacitor). Yes, it most certainly does constitute a current, however this current is transient and will cease when the voltage stops changing. This current component is not seen on the static V/I characteristics you posted.

thanks for your reply uart ! ok u meant that the current will only be constituted in this circuit when there is a changing voltage applied to it, is it? and what is actually meant by my graph while the voltage applied is below the Vbr ?

Yh Hoo said:
thanks for your reply uart ! ok u meant that the current will only be constituted in this circuit when there is a changing voltage applied to it, is it?
Yes that is correct (for the type of current you described in the original post).

and what is actually meant by my graph while the voltage applied is below the Vbr ?
(I'm assuming that by "below" you mean less negative than). That is the static reverse leakage current as I described above. It is only very small but is exaggerated on your graph.

Last edited:

uart said:
The static reverse current shown on your diagram is predominantly due to thermally generated carriers in (or near) the depletion region. .

Thx for your reply. Sorry what is meant by the thermally generated carriers in the depletion region? as i know, in the depletion region there is no mobile charge carriers, do u mean that the thermal energy form the surrounding causes the electrons in the uncompensated negatively charged acceptor ions in P-region to break free thus constituting to this static reverse current??

Yh Hoo said:
Thx for your reply. Sorry what is meant by the thermally generated carriers in the depletion region? as i know, in the depletion region there is no mobile charge carriers, do u mean that the thermal energy form the surrounding causes the electrons in the uncompensated negatively charged acceptor ions in P-region to break free thus constituting to this static reverse current??

Not "uncompensated negatively charged acceptor ions in P-region", but in fact just the normal Si atoms in the lattice. Thermal energy can cause them to release a free electron. At the same time this process leaves behind a hole in the Si atom that is free to move to adjacent atoms and so on. In effect an electron-hole pair has been thermally generated. This is the predominant cause of the reverse current, but as I said it's typically only very small.

Last edited:

uart said:
I said it's typically only very small.

O. Then i understand. That means this very small current contribute to the very small rise in reverse current right ? And how about in a forward biased arrangement ? will the thermally generated charged carriers constitute a small current ? ?

Sorry for bothering you again... Maybe you are busy but i have been hassled by the principle of the Transistor. Can you explain for me? Thanks.

Yh Hoo said:
O. Then i understand. That means this very small current contribute to the very small rise in reverse current right ? And how about in a forward biased arrangement ? will the thermally generated charged carriers constitute a small current ? ?

yes, it is always present. But it is on the order of uA. See the Irm spec in this data sheet for an example of real life values for a typical diode (notice it changes with temp. it can be much smaller with diodes designed to minimize it too). http://www.diodes.com/datasheets/ds28002.pdf

because it is uA, and forward current is so much larger than uA, people just ignore this current altogether in the forward region to keep the math simpler but thermally generated charge carriers are always present.

O i see. But can you please have a look at the graph i posted, before the magnitude of the applied positive voltage (with its polarity opposing the junction voltage) is greater than the built-in junction voltage, will there be any current flows ?? The applied voltage i meant here is steady voltage.

1. Why doesn't current flow in a reverse-biased arrangement?

In a reverse-biased arrangement, the p-n junction is connected in a way that the positive terminal of the battery is connected to the n-type semiconductor and the negative terminal is connected to the p-type semiconductor. This creates a potential barrier that prevents the flow of majority carriers, resulting in no current flow.

2. How does a reverse-biased arrangement prevent current flow?

When a reverse bias is applied, the negatively charged electrons in the n-type semiconductor are repelled by the negative terminal of the battery, while the positively charged holes in the p-type semiconductor are repelled by the positive terminal. This creates a depletion region in the middle of the p-n junction, where there are no majority carriers to conduct current.

3. Is there any current that flows in a reverse-biased arrangement?

In ideal conditions, there should be no current flowing in a reverse-biased arrangement. However, there can be a small amount of leakage current due to minority carriers and defects in the p-n junction. This is usually very small and can be neglected for most practical purposes.

4. Can a reverse-biased arrangement conduct current under certain conditions?

If the reverse bias is strong enough to overcome the potential barrier, a phenomenon called avalanche breakdown can occur. This causes a sudden increase in current flow, and the p-n junction can start to conduct in the reverse direction. However, this is not a desirable condition and can damage the semiconductor device.

5. How does a reverse-biased arrangement differ from a forward-biased arrangement?

In a forward-biased arrangement, the positive terminal of the battery is connected to the p-type semiconductor, and the negative terminal is connected to the n-type semiconductor. This reduces the potential barrier and allows majority carriers to flow, resulting in a current. In contrast, a reverse-biased arrangement has a higher potential barrier and does not allow majority carriers to flow, resulting in no current.