Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why use DNS ? Anonymous proxies

1. Feb 5, 2012 #1
    I have tried using Google DNS to access websites that are filtered likely by my government. I think it used to work fine with Facebook but now it didn't. Why could I pass the filter with just a minor change of DNS ? Except Google, are there still other DNS's that are free for me to use ?

Also, I used to use proxies from this site http://www.proxy4free.com to access different websites but now they don't provide the ports anymore for me to insert into port area in my browser. How can I check which port a particular free proxy is used so I can get it done with my browser ? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2012 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

I guess one way to nobble the net is to prevent successful DNS lookups by excluding from the lookup table IPs for those domain names. Most users would not know of other DNS servers that could be used. Yes, there are some other free ones. I recently noted these as open DNS servers: 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.222.200 but of course maybe they, too, have been blocked.

Besides blocking DNS lookups, your govt probably also totally blocks certain sites by a separate technique that can't be so easily evaded. Are you saying you now can't get to facebook?
    It would seem pointless for proxy4free to provide an address without a port. Maybe try some other list of free proxys?

4. Feb 11, 2012 #3

NascentOxygen

Most of those sites are ones that you surf to, and then on their home page in a box there type in the web address of the banned site you want to read. So it looks like it defaults to port 80. At proxy4free there are lists of other sites where you can obtain more proxies, e.g., http://www.centurian.org/

5. Feb 12, 2012 #4

NascentOxygen

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook