Why use DNS ? Anonymous proxies

• Thread starter lvu52
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker has tried using Google DNS to access websites that are filtered by their government. They have also tried using proxies from a certain website, but they are no longer providing ports for the user to insert into their browser. The speaker is looking for other free DNS servers to use and is also asking for advice on how to check the port of a specific free proxy. They mention that their government may also use other techniques to block certain websites. A potential solution is provided by another website that offers lists of free proxies.
lvu52
I have tried using Google DNS to access websites that are filtered likely by my government. I think it used to work fine with Facebook but now it didn't. Why could I pass the filter with just a minor change of DNS ? Except Google, are there still other DNS's that are free for me to use ?

Also, I used to use proxies from this site http://www.proxy4free.com to access different websites but now they don't provide the ports anymore for me to insert into port area in my browser. How can I check which port a particular free proxy is used so I can get it done with my browser ? Thanks.

Computer science news on Phys.org
I guess one way to nobble the net is to prevent successful DNS lookups by excluding from the lookup table IPs for those domain names. Most users would not know of other DNS servers that could be used. Yes, there are some other free ones. I recently noted these as open DNS servers: 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.222.200 but of course maybe they, too, have been blocked.

Besides blocking DNS lookups, your govt probably also totally blocks certain sites by a separate technique that can't be so easily evaded. Are you saying you now can't get to facebook?
lvu52 said:
Also, I used to use proxies from this site http://www.proxy4free.com to access different websites but now they don't provide the ports anymore for me to insert into port area in my browser. How can I check which port a particular free proxy is used so I can get it done with my browser ? Thanks.

It would seem pointless for proxy4free to provide an address without a port. Maybe try some other list of free proxys?

Most of those sites are ones that you surf to, and then on their home page in a box there type in the web address of the banned site you want to read. So it looks like it defaults to port 80. At proxy4free there are lists of other sites where you can obtain more proxies, e.g., http://www.centurian.org/

DNS, or Domain Name System, is a crucial component of the internet that translates domain names (such as www.google.com) into IP addresses that computers can understand. This allows us to access websites and other online resources easily without having to remember a series of numbers.

Using DNS is important for several reasons. Firstly, it helps to improve internet speed and efficiency by reducing the amount of time it takes for a website to load. Without DNS, we would have to manually enter the IP address of a website each time we wanted to access it, which would be time-consuming and prone to errors.

In the context of accessing filtered websites, using DNS can help bypass censorship or restrictions imposed by governments or other entities. By changing your DNS to a different provider, you may be able to access websites that were previously blocked. This is because different DNS providers may have different IP addresses for the same website, which can sometimes allow you to bypass filters.

In regards to your question about using anonymous proxies, these can also be helpful in bypassing filters and accessing blocked websites. However, they can also pose security risks as they act as intermediaries between your computer and the website, potentially exposing sensitive information. It is important to use reputable and secure proxies if you choose to use them.

In terms of finding free DNS providers and checking which ports a particular proxy uses, there are many resources available online. However, it is important to use caution and research the credibility and security of these sources before using them. It may also be helpful to consult with a trusted IT professional for guidance and assistance.

1. Why is DNS important for anonymous proxies?

DNS (Domain Name System) is important for anonymous proxies because it allows the proxy server to translate domain names into IP addresses. This helps to mask the original IP address of the user, providing an added layer of anonymity.

2. How does DNS protect my privacy when using anonymous proxies?

DNS helps to protect your privacy by hiding your original IP address. When you use an anonymous proxy, your internet traffic is routed through the proxy server, and any requests made by the proxy are made using its own IP address. This means that the websites you visit will only see the IP address of the proxy server, not your own.

3. Can I use DNS to bypass internet censorship with anonymous proxies?

Yes, DNS can be used to bypass internet censorship when using anonymous proxies. By using a proxy server, you can access websites and content that may be restricted in your region or by your internet service provider.

4. Are there any downsides to using DNS with anonymous proxies?

The main downside to using DNS with anonymous proxies is that it can slow down your internet speed. This is because each DNS lookup takes time, and using a proxy server adds an extra step in the process. Additionally, there may be some security concerns with using anonymous proxies, as the proxy server can potentially see and log your internet activity.

5. How can I ensure that my DNS requests are secure when using anonymous proxies?

To ensure that your DNS requests are secure when using anonymous proxies, you can use a VPN (Virtual Private Network). A VPN encrypts all of your internet traffic, including your DNS requests, making it more difficult for anyone to intercept or monitor your activity.