Is Water Really Blue? Explore the Mystery!

In summary, the conversation discusses the color of water and the perception of color. The author explains that water appears blue due to the scattering of light and the human eye's response to different wavelengths. They also mention a link about color perception and provide an example of water appearing blue underwater. It is noted that water is actually slightly blue, but the effect is more noticeable in larger quantities, such as in the ocean. The conversation concludes by pointing out the complexity of color perception.
Swapnil
SkyBlue=WaterBlue? No!

Hey guys, I always thought that water is blue because it reflects the color of the sky. Today when I was surfing through the web I found this webpage that says that water is blue because it really IS blue! Check it out:
http://www.eskimo.com/~billb/miscon/miscon4.html#watclr

Is this true? What do you guys think?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ah. Colour. Now that's an interesting one. Let's talk about air first:

The sky is blue because of scattering. The blue shorter-wavelength photons interact with electrons and bounce off sideways more than the red longer-wavelength photons. So when you look up at the clear blue sky what you're seeing is more of the blue photons. And when you look at the setting sun you're seeing more of the red photons. But this doesn't mean air is blue, because we know it's colourless and transparent.

Anyhow. Water is like air. Imagine you're swimming underwater in the middle of the ocean. You get this self same scattering thing going on. So when you look into the distance you see blue. But the water is colourless, transparent. It isn't really blue.

But: nothing's blue really. Blue is just our perception of some frequency band. And if that's what we perceive, maybe it's simpler to say what the hell, if it looks blue, it's blue.

Don't anybody mention violet. Or rainbows. And don't anybody ask what colour is the oil in that puddle.

It is tough to make a judgement on whether the author is correct because saying something 'is Blue' is a rather ambiguous statement. He doesn't say exactly what he is referring to, the absorption spectrum?, scattering spectrum?, reflecting spectrum?, a combination of these? It is hard to say he is wrong, because we certainly observe water to look blue, to some degree he is skirting the issue of WHY the sky is Blue.

There is an aspect of this scenario here that is often overlooked (and this goes for air as well as water), and that is the response of the human eye to different wavelengths. We observe the sky and the ocean to be blue (as opposed to say, violet), because our eyes are strongly receptive to blue, but relatively weakly receptive to violet.

We observe the sky and ocean to be blue primarily due to a combination of how light scatters and the natural response of the human eye.

Claude.

Claude Bile said:
It is tough to make a judgement on whether the author is correct because saying something 'is Blue' is a rather ambiguous statement. He doesn't say exactly what he is referring to, the absorption spectrum?, scattering spectrum?, reflecting spectrum?, a combination of these? It is hard to say he is wrong, because we certainly observe water to look blue, to some degree he is skirting the issue of WHY the sky is Blue.
I agree. But still, there is still a big difference between water being blue because it reflects the blue wavelength of light from the sky and water being blue because of its special properties.

I mean the point is that even if our sky "looked" green, water would still "look" blue right?

Claude Bile said:
There is an aspect of this scenario here that is often overlooked (and this goes for air as well as water), and that is the response of the human eye to different wavelengths. We observe the sky and the ocean to be blue (as opposed to say, violet), because our eyes are strongly receptive to blue, but relatively weakly receptive to violet.

We observe the sky and ocean to be blue primarily due to a combination of how light scatters and the natural response of the human eye.

Claude.
That's interesting. I didn't know that.

Swapnil said:
I mean the point is that even if our sky "looked" green, water would still "look" blue right?
To answer that question just look at the water on a overcast day.

Farsight said:
http://www.echalk.co.uk/amusements/O...erception.html

Q: When is blue yellow?
A: When they're both grey.
Okay, that's the third time that I've tried that link, on 3 different computers, and it always comes up with 'page cannot be found'. :grumpy:

:redface:

I'm awfully sorry Danger. I copied and pasted, and picked up the abbreviated version. I've mended the link above. It's on:

//www.echalk.co.uk/amusements/OpticalIllusions/colourPerception/colourPerception.html

Janus said:
To answer that question just look at the water on a overcast day.
I can't wait that long. :zzz: Can anyone please just tell be the answer?

As a diver, I can tell you that the deeper you go, the less reds and yellows you will see. Below about twenty feet, there are no reds and yellows at all. If you turn on a flashlight, which has comparatively very red light, but is in fact simply white(ish) all those colours will come leaping back.

Water preferentially absorbs reds, while blues can reach farther down.

The colour of water has nothing to do with the colour of the sky.

Water is actually very slightly blue, but you have to have a copious amount of the it to notice this effect. If you just have a glass of water, it will look transparent to you because it is emitting only a tiny amount of "blue light" but when you are looking at an ocean, the effect adds up and you see it as blue.

It's perhaps not best described that way, Rozenwyn. You can do a "scattering" experiment with a fishtank, a torch, and a little milk in the water. From the side the beam makes the milky water look bluish. From the end looking up the beam, the milky water looks reddish. So it's kinda of got two different colours depending on how you look at it.

Colour isn't quite as simple as you might think. Do try the little perception test I mentioned earlier:

http://www.echalk.co.uk/amusements/OpticalIllusions/colourPerception/colourPerception.html

Last edited:
Actually, "water is blue because it reflects the color of the sky" is close to being true! You just have to realize that the word "reflects" cannot be taken literally. Water is blue for the same reasons that the sky is blue- blue scatters better than other colors.

DaveC426913 said:
Yes yes, but you're actually confusing the issue here. The colour of water is not a perceptual thing.
Have you tried that link?

Farsight said:
Have you tried that link?
Yes. I tried it when you first posted it. It's all about visual perception - which has nothing to do with why water is blue.

DaveC426913 said:
Yes yes, but you're actually confusing the issue here. The colour of water is not a perceptual thing.
Thanks for doing the perception experiment. As far as I can tell you're the only one who has.

The point I was trying to make, is that "colour" is more complicated than many people appreciate. A scattering experiment shows (milky) water to appear pale blue side-on to the beam, yet orange/yellow looking up the beam. And yet we know water to be colourless and transparent. Meanwhile the perception experiment shows that one colour can appear to us as two totally different colours.

That's why "Why is water blue?" is a hard question to answer. The question itself contains wrong assumptions.

About your last point. All physicist know that a photon has a property that is a frequency, not colour. So surely, don't they all agree that the colour of anything is a perceptual thing?

No.

Water preferentially absorbs certain frequencies of light. This can be demonstrated by any means you see fit, whether involving unreliable human perception or reliable photodetection machinery.

Farsight said:
Colour isn't quite as simple as you might think. Do try the little perception test I mentioned earlier:

http://www.echalk.co.uk/amusements/OpticalIllusions/colourPerception/colourPerception.html
I tried it. But I have to say that I wan't that convinced by the first two illusions. For the first one, I was still seeing blue on the left and yellow on the right even after I used the mask. The second one was alright but at first I didn't know if it is my eyes or is it something to do with those yellow and blue layers on top.

I loved the third illusion though. It definitely convinced me that color can be a matter of perception.

Swapnil: thanks. The first one is better if you get a bit of paper, and make a little hole in it to serve as a do-it-yourself mask. You could replicate this in a cliff-top-room experiment involving a projector and a hole in the wall, and then you'd be telling me the sea is yellow.

Dave: Are we talking at cross purposes here? What does your photodetection machinery actually measure? What colour is a gamma photon? What might a super-evolved bat see? No problem with water absorbing longer frequencies first. But you're the diver, you must have looked sideways two metres down, or done some underwater photography and know there's lots of effects going on:

http://www.seafriends.org.nz/phgraph/water.htm

All I'm saying is colour is a complicated subject.

Farsight said:

All I'm saying is colour is a complicated subject.
Yes. But why water is blue is not complicated. Water is blue because it absorbs longer wavelengths more readily. A camera picks it up, a colorimeter picks it up. Any means you care to use picks it up, and none of them have to do with human perception of colour.

1. Is water really blue?

Yes, water does appear to be blue in certain conditions. This is because water molecules absorb longer wavelength colors, such as red and yellow, and reflect shorter wavelength colors, such as blue and green. This gives the appearance of blue water.

2. Why does water appear colorless in some situations?

Water can appear colorless when there is not enough light to reflect off the water molecules, or when there are other substances present in the water that can change its color. For example, if there is a lot of sediment in the water, it may appear brown or murky instead of blue.

3. Does the depth of the water affect its color?

Yes, the depth of the water can affect its color. The deeper the water, the more light is absorbed by the water molecules, making it appear darker and bluer. In shallow water, more light is able to reflect off the bottom, giving the water a lighter, more transparent appearance.

4. Can water appear to be different colors in different bodies of water?

Yes, the color of water can vary depending on the environment it is in. For example, water in a lake may appear greener due to the presence of algae, while water in the ocean may appear bluer due to the presence of salt and other minerals.

5. Does the color of water affect its quality or safety to drink?

No, the color of water does not necessarily indicate its quality or safety to drink. There are other factors, such as contaminants and bacteria, that determine the safety of drinking water. However, if water appears to be a strange or unnatural color, it may be a sign of pollution or other issues that could affect its safety.