Why water compressibility is neglicable

In summary, compressibility is the change in volume or density in response to changes in pressure. Water has a neglible compressibility compared to air, with only a 2% change in density up to 7000 psi. Oil and water have similar compressibility properties, with both being incompressible up to very high pressures.
bigbrother
can anyone help me to have simple definition for compressibility and oil compressibility and why water compressibility is neglicable and for synthetic oils what is the effect of compressibilit on them compared to wter and diesel

Physics news on Phys.org

Compressibility can be looked at as the change in volume with change in pressure. Or, similarly, you can look at in terms of change in density with respect to pressure.

If you look at the density of air over a range of pressures, you'll see that it doesn't take much pressure to have a significant affect on the density. However water's density will only vary about 2% up to pressures of about 7000 psi.

It is a judgment call on whether or not to use the incompressible assumption or not.

many thanks for your response but kindly could you advice about the oil comperssibility compared to water

They are both incompressible up to some very large pressures. I'll see if I can't dig some actual numbers up.

many thanks for this valuable link
but could you please confirm with me what i understood from this is that oil comperssibility is the same as water,no great diferrences between them
is that true

1. Why is water compressibility considered negligible?

Water is considered an incompressible fluid because its compressibility is extremely low compared to other substances. This means that even under high pressures, water does not significantly change in volume. Therefore, for most practical purposes, the compressibility of water can be considered negligible.

2. How is water's compressibility measured?

Water's compressibility is measured by its bulk modulus, which is a measure of how much pressure is needed to cause a given percentage decrease in volume. For water, this value is approximately 2.2 x 10-9 Pa-1, which is significantly lower than most other liquids and gases.

3. What factors affect water's compressibility?

The compressibility of water is affected by temperature, pressure, and salinity. As temperature and salinity increase, water becomes more compressible. However, even at extreme temperatures and pressures found in the deep ocean, water's compressibility is still considered negligible.

4. Why is the compressibility of water important in engineering?

The negligible compressibility of water is important in engineering because it allows for accurate calculations and predictions when designing structures or systems that involve water. For example, when designing a dam or a submarine, engineers can assume that the volume of water will not significantly change, making it easier to determine the necessary dimensions and materials.

5. Can water be compressed at all?

While water is considered an incompressible fluid, it can still be compressed to some extent. However, to achieve a significant change in volume, extremely high pressures are needed. For example, to compress water by just 1%, a pressure of over 2200 atmospheres (32,000 psi) is required.