How to advoid water condensation in compressed air piping

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with a compressed air system in a factory where the clean rooms are maintained at a temperature of 23°C while the outside temperature is 32°C. The issue is that water is appearing in the clean rooms even though there is no water in the compressed air supply points outside. The reason for this is likely due to the humidity in the air, causing the dew point to be between 32 and 23. The solution is to either decrease the humidity or increase the temperature to avoid condensation in the pipes. It is recommended to add a compressed air dryer after the air compressor to prevent this issue.
medo
Hello all,
I'm having problems with my compressed air system. In the factory have some clean rooms with temperature are maintained around 23°C. The outside of clean rooms are normal condition (around 32°C). When i checked some air supply points outside. There were no water in compressed air. But water appreared in cleam rooms.
Does anyone know what is reason and how to advoid it?

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds like the humidity in your air is such that the dew point is somewhere between 32 and 23. You need to either decrease the dew point by dehumidifying the air or increase the temperature so that it is above the dew point.

Probably the 23 temperature is required for whatever process is done in the clean room. So you would need to dehumidify the air.

Likes medo
All air has water in it. The dew point is a measure of the amount of water in the air. When air is compressed, the dew point is increased. When the dew point is higher than the pipe temperature, the excess water condenses to form liquid water in the pipes.

The solution is to add a compressed air dryer (search the term) immediately after the air compressor. This is one particularly good link: https://www.atlascopco.com/en-us/compressors/wiki/compressed-air-articles/choosing-a-dryer. I see that Harbor Freight sells an air dryer.

Home shop users can get away with a simple air filter near the end of the line, but compressed air systems should have an air dryer.

Likes medo and Dale

1. How does water condensation occur in compressed air piping?

Water condensation occurs in compressed air piping when the temperature of the compressed air drops below its dew point. This causes the water vapor in the air to turn into liquid and accumulate in the piping.

2. What are the consequences of having water condensation in compressed air piping?

Water condensation in compressed air piping can lead to corrosion, clogging, and damage to equipment. It can also affect the quality of the compressed air and cause malfunctions in downstream processes.

3. How can I prevent water condensation in compressed air piping?

To prevent water condensation in compressed air piping, you can use a compressed air dryer or install a water separator in the piping system. It is also important to properly insulate the piping to maintain a consistent temperature and prevent condensation.

4. What is the ideal dew point for compressed air piping?

The ideal dew point for compressed air piping is -40°F or lower. This ensures that the compressed air remains dry and free from water vapor, preventing condensation from occurring.

5. How often should I drain the water from my compressed air piping system?

The frequency of draining water from a compressed air piping system depends on the usage and environmental conditions. It is recommended to drain the system at least once a day to remove any accumulated water and prevent it from causing damage.