1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why we calculate B of solenoid with this way?

1. Jun 7, 2015 #1
    We see the magnetic field calculation by Biot-Savart law for a circular current I on some distance z on the vertical axis throw it centre as:
    $$ B(z) = \frac{\mu_0I}{2}\frac{r^2}{(r^2+z^2)^{3/2}} $$
    where r is the radius of circle.

When we use summation of N rings lays on L length, like solenoid, we integrate as:
    $$ B(z) = \frac{\mu_0nIr^2}{2}\int_{-L/2}^{L/2}\frac{dz}{[r^2+(z-z_0)^2]^{3/2}} $$

I think that ##B_i## for one ring gives to total ##B## an amount:
    $$ B_i = B(z_i) = \frac{\mu_0I}{2}\frac{r^2}{[r^2+(z_i-z_0)^2]^{3/2}} $$

How we take the integral ##\int\,dz## ?

Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 7, 2015 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

How would you normally take the integral?
    (You may want to try a trig substitution.)

Have you set up the integral correctly?
    When you take the definite integral over a variable, it goes away - so you cannot have a function like ##f(z)=\int_a^b g(z)\;dz## because that implies that f is a function of z.

Usually you want to say something like - the ring between z=z' and z=z'+dz' contributes dB=something to the overall field at position z on the axis... then you put ##B=\int dB##. Then ##z'_i## is the position of the ith ring and you need to add them up.

##z_0## appears to be playing the role of ##z'## in your integral - so you need to integrate over that.

Have you examined the physics carefully ? - usually a solenoid has a finite number of rings in length L.
    The integral implies that the rings are very thin.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
  4. Jun 8, 2015 #3
    I think this is the point I need. Thanks.

5. Jun 8, 2015 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

No worries.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook