Why we use wavelength to divided into ray, wave and particle

In summary, light can be defined as a ray, wave, or particle, depending on its wavelength in relation to the dimension of the equipment. When the wavelength is much smaller than the typical equipment size, it is considered a ray and when it is equal to the dimension of the equipment, it is considered a wave. When the wavelength is larger than the equipment, it is considered a particle or photon. Wavelength is chosen as a parameter because it is closely related to frequency and is often used in place of it. The intensity of the light also plays a role in determining whether it should be treated as a classical wave or a quantum particle.
isnainidiah
I want to ask something about light, light can be defined as ray, wave, or particle. The group formed because of the wavelength, if the wavelength is less than the dimension of equipment it is grouped into ray, if the wavelength is equal to the dimension of equipment it is grouped into wave, and the last if the wavelength is bigger than the dimension of the equipment it is grouped into particles/foton. My question is, why we use wavelength to divided into ray, wave and particles ?

Physics news on Phys.org
isnainidiah said:
The group formed because of the wavelength, if the wavelength is less than the dimension of equipment it is grouped into ray,
When the wavelength is much smaller than the typical equipment size, phenomena inherent to a wave, such as interference and diffraction, are much less apparent - such light passing through an iris will practically be just going through it with the beam size after is the same as the iris opening.
isnainidiah said:
if the wavelength is equal to the dimension of equipment it is grouped into wave,
Interference and diffraction become important.
isnainidiah said:
the last if the wavelength is bigger than the dimension of the equipment it is grouped into particles/foton.
Have never heard of it, but I suppose, when the measuring element is much smaller than the wavelength, the sensitivity to the electric field fluctuation may be excalated. This is the realm of quantum optics.

But, why wavelength is choosen as parameter ?

isnainidiah said:
But, why wavelength is choosen as parameter ?
I believe the answer to this question is already implied in my previous post.

I mean, why not another quantity such as amplitudo or frequency become the parameter ?

isnainidiah said:
I mean, why not another quantity such as amplitudo or frequency become the parameter ?
Frequency can also be used in place of the wavelength as these quantities are related by ##c=\lambda f##. It just happens that we use wavelength more often than we do frequency. You are right, in some cases, actually the intensity of the light, which is directly related to the amplitude must also be taken into account as to whether we should resort to treating the light as classical wave or quanta. In particular, when the intensity is very high (meaning this light beam contains thousands of million of photons) it's sufficient to treat it as a classical wave. If there is only a few photons (let's say below a hundred), then we must resort to the quantum treatment which is quantum optics.
PS: I recognize your name is native to certain southeast Asian countries.

blue_leaf77 said:
Frequency can also be used in place of the wavelength as these quantities are related by ##c=\lambda f##. It just happens that we use wavelength more often than we do frequency. You are right, in some cases, actually the intensity of the light, which is directly related to the amplitude must also be taken into account as to whether we should resort to treating the light as classical wave or quanta. In particular, when the intensity is very high (meaning this light beam contains thousands of million of photons) it's sufficient to treat it as a classical wave. If there is only a few photons (let's say below a hundred), then we must resort to the quantum treatment which is quantum optics.
PS: I recognize your name is native to certain southeast Asian countries.

Hmmm i got the idea,, thank you for your explanation
Yeah, you're right i come from southeast asian countries

1. Why do we use wavelength to divide into ray, wave, and particle?

Wavelength is used to divide into ray, wave, and particle because it is a physical property of electromagnetic radiation that helps us understand its behavior and characteristics. By measuring the wavelength of a wave, we can determine its frequency, energy, and other important properties.

2. How do we use wavelength to differentiate between ray, wave, and particle?

Different types of electromagnetic radiation (such as visible light, radio waves, and X-rays) have different wavelengths. This allows us to categorize them into different groups and study their unique properties and behaviors. For example, shorter wavelengths are associated with higher energy and more particle-like behavior, while longer wavelengths are associated with lower energy and more wave-like behavior.

3. What are the advantages of using wavelength to classify electromagnetic radiation?

Using wavelength to divide into ray, wave, and particle allows us to understand the diverse behaviors and properties of electromagnetic radiation. It also helps us to categorize different types of radiation and make predictions about their interactions with matter. Additionally, measuring wavelengths is a precise and accurate way to characterize electromagnetic radiation.

4. Can all forms of electromagnetic radiation be categorized using wavelength?

Yes, all forms of electromagnetic radiation can be categorized using wavelength. This includes visible light, radio waves, microwaves, infrared radiation, ultraviolet radiation, X-rays, and gamma rays. Each type of radiation has a unique range of wavelengths and properties that allow us to differentiate them from one another.

5. How does understanding wavelength help us in practical applications?

Understanding wavelength is crucial in many practical applications, such as telecommunications, remote sensing, and medical imaging. By knowing the specific wavelengths of different types of radiation, we can design devices and systems that can detect, transmit, and manipulate these waves for various purposes. For example, in medical imaging, different types of radiation with specific wavelengths can be used to create detailed images of the human body for diagnostic purposes.