Will 22 AWG 17 Strand Wire Work In My Crimp Connector?

  • Thread starter Thread starter roeb
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Wire Work
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
roeb
Messages
98
Reaction score
1
I have a crimp connector that currently works with 22 awg 7 strand wire. Does anyone have any insight on whether or not 22 awg 17 strand wire would work? I would like to just test it but I don't want to drop $30 on wire that won't work. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't but perhaps someone can verify this? (the datasheet specifies stranded 18-22 awg, but doesn't seem to indicate the amount of strands)
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
It should work fine. If this is a mission-critical application you should be double-crimping and/or soldering anyway.
 
negitron said:
It should work fine. If this is a mission-critical application you should be double-crimping and/or soldering anyway.

Agreed on both counts. The crimping itself should depend solely upon the gauge, not the number of strands. Soldering is always better than a mere crimp, though.