Will a Ball or Newtonian Liquid Bounce Indefinitely in an Isolated Container?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Amr Elsayed
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Energy
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 1K views
Amr Elsayed
Messages
90
Reaction score
3
Hi,
I want to make sure what is going to happen if I release ball to fall in an isolated container where no sound or heat is a production of collision. Would it keep going up and down without any change in height reached every single time ? what if I release a Newtonian liquid ? would it bounce too ? giving that liquid cannot transfer energy to ground , does this condition of isolated ground make no sense ??
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Amr Elsayed said:
I release ball to fall in an isolated container where no sound or heat is a production of collision.
The container cannot prevent the ball from heating up during the collision.
Amr Elsayed said:
what if I release a Newtonian liquid ?
Same as above, you cannot prevent it from heating up.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Amr Elsayed
Energy is conserved. Perpetual motion machines do not exist. Using those principles, can you answer your own questions?

By the way, discussion of perpetual motion is forbidden on PF.
 
anorlunda said:
Energy is conserved. Perpetual motion machines do not exist. Using those principles, can you answer your own questions?
My own question is already answered in post #2

anorlunda said:
By the way, discussion of perpetual motion is forbidden on PF.
All I did talk about was conservation of energy. I don't know if it's forbidden or even why, if so I didn't know before posting, thanks for telling me