Is Physics Right for Me If I Find the Basics Boring?

• Thread starter divexo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the person is interested in exploring topics such as string theory and 'spacetime cloak' in physics, but finds the basics of the subject to be boring and wonders if that means they won't like physics overall. The expert suggests that they need to start at the beginning and work their way up to more advanced topics, and that a general understanding of popular science concepts doesn't necessarily mean understanding the actual physics. They also clarify that a physics degree is more focused on understanding how the universe works rather than exotic topics like string theory.
divexo
Hi,

I've just thought of how interesting parts of physics sounds, such as elements of string theory (the broad idea, not indepth about differing dimensions - imagining the tenth dimension, probably a really noob book around here haha) among other time/space topics, and would love to know how some of the new research like 'spacetime cloak' work - so freakn cool.
Never really done any physics before, so decided to start reading about the basics so i can explore the interesting topics later, but i find motion and most of the basics i came across quite boring (fundamentals of physics extended book, flicked through the topics in the first half, and didn't seem to find any appealing to read over), and not too keen on going over them.

Does this mean i won't like physics then, considering all the initial topics seem so dry..? Not for me? Or is this initial bump happen for all..?

Thanksssss

Divexo

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have to get your feet wet before you jump off the board into the deep end. If you haven't done any physics before you need to start at the beginning.

You've got about 5 or 6 years of physics to get through before you can start really chipping away at string theory. Good luck!

divexo said:
Does this mean i won't like physics then, considering all the initial topics seem so dry..? Not for me? Or is this initial bump happen for all..?

It means that 'physics' probably isn't what you think it is - string theory certainly isn't what you think it is, either. You might have a general understanding of popular science concepts, but won't have a clue about the actual physics and what it's describing.

If you want to study physics so you can look at string theory and such flamboyant topics, you'll probably just be disappointed. It isn't an 'initial bump for all' in that I chose to study physics because I like understanding how things work. Physics is a sort-of general knowledge degree where you'll find out, piece by piece, how our universe works. This includes things like mechanics, thermodynamics and optics - the topics that you have probably found to be boring. String theory is a tiny area of a tiny part of physics - so the goal of a physics degree doesn't lead up to the exotic topics you'll read in popular science books.

Hi Divexo,

It's great to hear that you are interested in exploring topics like string theory and spacetime cloak in physics. These are definitely fascinating areas of research and it's exciting to see that you want to learn more about them. As for your question about whether or not you will enjoy physics, it's important to remember that the fundamentals are the building blocks of any subject. While they may not seem as exciting as the more advanced topics, they are essential for understanding the more complex concepts. It's also possible that the way the fundamentals were presented in the book you mentioned may not have been engaging for you.

I would encourage you to continue exploring different resources and approaches to learning about physics. There are many interesting and interactive ways to learn about the basics, such as through online videos, simulations, or hands-on experiments. And as you gain a better understanding of the fundamentals, you may find that they become more interesting to you. Additionally, keep in mind that physics is a vast and diverse field, and there are many different areas you can focus on and explore. So even if some topics may not interest you as much, there may be others that capture your attention.

In short, don't let the initial bump in the road discourage you from pursuing your interest in physics. Keep exploring and finding ways to make the fundamentals more engaging, and you may discover a passion for the subject that you never knew you had. Thank you for your question and all the best in your learning journey!

Sincerely,

1. What is physics?

Physics is the branch of science that deals with the study of matter, energy, space, and time. It seeks to understand the fundamental laws and principles that govern the natural world and how objects and particles interact with one another.

2. Is physics difficult to understand?

Physics can be challenging to understand, but it is also a fascinating and rewarding subject. It requires critical thinking, problem-solving skills, and a strong mathematical background. However, with dedication and practice, anyone can grasp the basic concepts of physics.

3. How is physics relevant to everyday life?

Physics plays a crucial role in our everyday lives. It helps us understand how things work, from the motion of everyday objects to the functioning of complex technologies. Many modern inventions, such as smartphones and computers, rely heavily on the principles of physics.

4. What career options are available in physics?

Studying physics can lead to a wide range of career opportunities in various industries, including research, engineering, technology, healthcare, and education. Some common job titles for physicists include research scientist, data analyst, aerospace engineer, and teacher.

5. How can I get started learning physics?

If you are interested in physics, the best way to get started is by taking introductory courses in high school or college. You can also read books, watch online lectures, and participate in hands-on experiments to gain a deeper understanding of the subject. It is essential to practice regularly and seek help from teachers or tutors when needed.