Will NaOH dissolve aluminum without damaging fiberglass?

  • Thread starter Thread starter bikeguy
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Aluminum Dissolve
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
32 replies · 83K views
Borek said:
Compounds like aluminates are notoriously difficult to describe, as their composition - in terms of number of water molecules and OH- attached to the cation - is a matter of multistep equilibrium. Hence you will find different formulas in different sources.
Yes, this is true, but that one I've never seen it before.
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
lightarrow said:
Are you sure Na3AlO3 really exists? Anyway, I don't see any problem in the previous reaction you wrote:

2Al + 2NaOH + 2H2O ---> 2NaAlO2 + 3H2
+ ---
Hello, no I am not sure it exists ,but i don't have a problem with 3Na and AlO3
in solution.
The problem with the previous reaction i was having is that it implies that the hydrogens
in the two waters are reduced/released in the product as hydrogen gas.
And I could not see any mechanism for that in the reaction with NaOH and Al.
If you can describe that mechanism I would appreciate it
(please place the pos & negs over the ions)
 
morrobay said:
+ ---
Hello, no I am not sure it exists ,but i don't have a problem with 3Na and AlO3
in solution.
The problem with the previous reaction i was having is that it implies that the hydrogens
in the two waters are reduced/released in the product as hydrogen gas.
And I could not see any mechanism for that in the reaction with NaOH and Al.
If you can describe that mechanism I would appreciate it
(please place the pos & negs over the ions)
Al reacts with water when the oxide layer is removed:

2Al + 3H2O --> Al2O3 + 3H2

NaOH dissolves the oxide layer.