Dissolve Aluminum from Spiral Drills - Machinists Tips

• Thread starter Zach.L
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Aluminum
In summary: Goggles are mandatory, long gloves a good idea. Neutralize it with dilute HCL (muratic acid) or vinegar before doing anything else with the left overs.Goggles are mandatory, long gloves a good idea. Neutralize it with dilute HCL (muratic acid) or vinegar before doing anything else with the left overs.
Zach.L
I have a few spiral drills that are 3.3 mm diameter and have 2 tiny holes that are supposed to allow coolant to flow through the tool. Unfortunately they got clogged with chips of aluminum.
I was wondering if there was a way to dissolve the aluminum out of the holes.
I was told muriatic acid would work but over here we're machinists, not chemists, so I wouldn't know.
Any help in saving these 200 dollar tools would be much appreciated.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
What is the material of the spiral drills?

Boil them in a solution of baking or washing soda.

mfb said:
What is the material of the spiral drills?
They are made completely of carbide.

Zach.L said:
They are made completely of carbide.
That being tungsten carbide?

Did you try the hot soda solution? I'm not confident it will work.

Last edited:
I don't know about baking soda, could be slow or impractical.
But NaOH will dissolve aluminum easily if you can get the solution to flow through your coolant ports.

As with all DIY chemical stuff don't' boil your everyday corrosive agents on your stove. Pour some mildly hot water in a plastic vessel dunk your drills, ad a 1/4 teaspoon of sodium hydroxide (slowly) and leave overnight. Handle the drills with plastic instruments, rinse them nicely and finally kill your caustic soda solution with a shot of vinegar before disposal.

Lok said:
I don't know about baking soda, could be slow or impractical.
But NaOH will dissolve aluminum easily if you can get the solution to flow through your coolant ports.

As with all DIY chemical stuff don't' boil your everyday corrosive agents on your stove. Pour some mildly hot water in a plastic vessel dunk your drills, ad a 1/4 teaspoon of sodium hydroxide (slowly) and leave overnight. Handle the drills with plastic instruments, rinse them nicely and finally kill your caustic soda solution with a shot of vinegar before disposal.
Do you have a suggestion of a place to pick up some sodium hydroxide? Or a place to order any?

NascentOxygen said:
That being tungsten carbide?

Did you try the hot soda solution? I'm not confident it will work.
I think it is tungsten carbide but I don't know for sure.

Zach.L said:
Do you have a suggestion of a place to pick up some sodium hydroxide? Or a place to order any?

Many granulated drain openers have this as the main ingredient. You can buy sodium hydroxide online, as well. People use it for making hand-made soap. It is probably cheaper to buy the drain opener.

Zach.L said:
Caustic soda (NaOH crystals) is often sold in supermarkets, in the cleaners section. Also hardware stores. "Draino" is one source, but check ingredients list.

I would try it in warm water, leave drill soaking for a day or two. Check at intervals to make sure it does not affect the drill coating.

NascentOxygen said:
Caustic soda (NaOH crystals) is often sold in supermarkets, in the cleaners section. Also hardware stores. "Draino" is one source, but check ingredients list.

I would try it in warm water, leave drill soaking for a day or two. Check at intervals to make sure it does not affect the drill coating.
Thanks for the help, I'll definitely try this in the next couple of days.

I seem to recall a product (likely recalled) that had NaOH (Lye) and bits of aluminum to create a self-heating reaction in a drain cleaner. I believe it puts off hydrogen during the process, so you probably want to keep it slow, or have ventilation (ignites with a 10% - 90% fuel-air mix)
I've used dilute solutions on finished aluminum to etch it...
Be careful with the stuff though. It's subtle and evil at getting to your skin and tiny drops seem to get everywhere when pouring. If it gets on you, you'll usually know because you have slippery skin (yep,that's you becoming soap), irritation, or outright burning. You have to wash like a maniac to get the slippery feeling to go away.
Goggles are mandatory, long gloves a good idea. Neutralize it with dilute HCL (muratic acid) or vinegar before doing anything else with the left overs. If you see gooey slime, that's probably just aluminum hydroxide.

Mike_In_Plano said:
I seem to recall a product (likely recalled) that had NaOH (Lye) and bits of aluminum to create a self-heating reaction in a drain cleaner. I believe it puts off hydrogen during the process, so you probably want to keep it slow, or have ventilation (ignites with a 10% - 90% fuel-air mix)
I've used dilute solutions on finished aluminum to etch it...
Be careful with the stuff though. It's subtle and evil at getting to your skin and tiny drops seem to get everywhere when pouring. If it gets on you, you'll usually know because you have slippery skin (yep,that's you becoming soap), irritation, or outright burning. You have to wash like a maniac to get the slippery feeling to go away.
Goggles are mandatory, long gloves a good idea. Neutralize it with dilute HCL (muratic acid) or vinegar before doing anything else with the left overs. If you see gooey slime, that's probably just aluminum hydroxide.
True in that it does give of hydrogen. But just to ease Zach's mind. It is not a lot of aluminum in those drills (they are small) so not much hydrogen will be generated. And the port holes are small so the reaction will be retarded by the fact that the NaOH will have a hard time reaching the aluminum.
The stuff is corrosive but, as I've seen above you will probably use the diluted version of some drain cleaner (the best choice :)), so it will be able to burn but not be that dangerous.The necessary quantity of drain cleaner is hard to estimate in this case.

But safety first. Also you have the Al + NaOH reaction in the same section
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_hydroxide#Safety

Likes Mike_In_Plano
It goes without saying, but ...

Probably best to remove any oil coating by first washing the drill bits in warm water with detergent. Rinse well before adding to the caustic soda solution.

1. What is the best method for dissolving aluminum from spiral drills?

The best method for dissolving aluminum from spiral drills is to use a strong acid, such as hydrochloric acid or nitric acid. These acids can break down the aluminum without damaging the drill bit.

2. How long does it take for the aluminum to dissolve from the drill?

The time it takes for the aluminum to dissolve from the drill will vary depending on the strength of the acid and the size of the aluminum deposits. However, it typically takes anywhere from 30 minutes to a few hours.

3. Is it safe to use acids to dissolve aluminum from drills?

While acids can be dangerous if handled improperly, as long as proper safety precautions are taken, it is safe to use acids to dissolve aluminum from drills. It is important to wear protective gear, such as gloves and goggles, and to work in a well-ventilated area.

4. Can I reuse the acid after dissolving the aluminum?

Yes, you can reuse the acid after dissolving the aluminum. However, it is important to neutralize the acid before disposing of it properly. This can be done by adding a base, such as baking soda, to the acid solution until it stops fizzing.

5. Are there any alternative methods for dissolving aluminum from spiral drills?

Yes, there are alternative methods for dissolving aluminum from spiral drills, such as using a caustic solution or mechanical methods like sandblasting. However, these methods may be more time-consuming or may require specialized equipment, so using acid is often the most efficient option.