Will there be a large two-face factor

• News
  • Thread starter tribdog
  • Start date
LURCH
Science Advisor
I think that race will certainly play a huge roll in this election...in Obama's favor. There may be a few people who will vote for McCain "because he's white," but I am sure these numbers will be insignificant compared to the multitudes who will vote for Obama "because he's black." If race makes a difference at all in this election (and I think it will), it will be overwhelmingly in favor of the Dem party. I'm not saying there won't be people voting for Obama because of his policies, or his proposed plans, but among those who do base their vote solely on the colour of the candidate's skin, the vast majority will vote for Obama. I am certain the race issue will help him far more than it will hurt.
Obama has a two factor lead over McCain in electoral counts , if he should not become president by election day then this means that people have been giving dishonest answers on the polls , perhaps due to conscience , after all the election day is the one that counts. Should this huge discrepancy be the case the world image of the US as a stunted nation is going to be established especially in Europe where they already perceive us as a bunch of infantile mongrels...
"Mongrels"? Now that is racist.

Amp1
True, RootX - intolerance is blind and ignorant for the most part, then it becomes malicious when it has some intellect.

Peace

Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I think that race will certainly play a huge roll in this election...in Obama's favor. There may be a few people who will vote for McCain "because he's white," but I am sure these numbers will be insignificant compared to the multitudes who will vote for Obama "because he's black."
Can you explain who are the people that make up the multitudes that will vote for him because he is black? And when you say "insignificant", what kind of ratio does that imply?

Roughly 10% of the electorate admitted to making a race based decision when they voted in the Primaries, and the overwhelming majority of those people did NOT vote for Obama. And that was just among registered Democrats (and in some cases, Independents).

LowlyPion
Homework Helper
I think that race will certainly play a huge roll in this election...in Obama's favor. There may be a few people who will vote for McCain "because he's white," but I am sure these numbers will be insignificant compared to the multitudes who will vote for Obama "because he's black." If race makes a difference at all in this election (and I think it will), it will be overwhelmingly in favor of the Dem party. I'm not saying there won't be people voting for Obama because of his policies, or his proposed plans, but among those who do base their vote solely on the colour of the candidate's skin, the vast majority will vote for Obama. I am certain the race issue will help him far more than it will hurt.

I tend to think that it will be a net negative, if only because those that will vote for him because he is black, without thought to issues, would be the ones that would vote for a Democrat anyway. Getting 85% of the black vote out as opposed to 80% may be important, but will it outweigh those that would have voted Democratic - their natural economic interest - but would choose to vote against a black - letting Race divide their vote. In short then those people that have voted for Bill Clinton, but won't for Obama.

I think then that overall that makes a bit of a headwind that he must make up in persuading independent whites on the issues. This he has apparently done to date, but the question remains whether the fickle electorate may yet be influenced to forget the negatives that McCain/Palin have racked up so far and tricked into believing that they have any policy except the perpetuation of their brand of special interest politics.

GCT
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

You haven't been to Europe have you? I'm am not a European - although I have ancestry there - , however , I have lived there for a while. It is partly a seated belief that much of the US' constant tendency to do whatever it wants without regard to other nations stems from the deliberate ignorance of the people there to acknowledge their own history and heritage.

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I am certain the race issue will help him far more than it will hurt.

With the exception of the last couple of elections, blacks have voted overwhelmingly for Democrats since the 60s..

As LBJ correctly prophesied when he signed the Civil Rights Act, that act cost the Democrats the white Southern vote for the lives of everyone present. Likewise, the Democrats have won the black vote ever since.

Why? Think about it.

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
It must have been fraud, because people couldn't possibly have preferred Bush or his idology, right?

It was likely fraud because that's what Statisticians at Berkeley and Cal Tech concluded after studying the results. It was likely fraud because the President of Diebold - the voting machine company - promised Bush [in a memo made public] that he would deliver the votes for Bush.

What's more, we have discussed this before and you know that.

turbo
Gold Member
Apart from fraud, the GOP will engage in voter-suppression in heavily Democratic districts, including but not limited to disenfranchising voters whose ID's don't match the information on the registrar's print-out EXACTLY. This allows simple transcription errors by the registrars' staff members to deny a voter his or her rights. "Wrong middle initial? Too bad!" The GOP has also constructed caging lists and will challenge as many people in these districts as possible, slowing the lines and causing people to wait hours, some of whom (who have to get to work, perhaps, or take care of a child) will have to leave before they get the chance to vote. We can also expect that there will be insufficient numbers of voting machines and/or ballots in minority districts, and the excuse will be "we never had this many voters before", ignoring the fact that any reasonable person would expect record turnouts in among minority voters.

Our elections have been plagued with such dirty tricks, especially recently, and the culprits never get prosecuted. The right to vote is a fundamental right, and it is increasingly under attack by the GOP.

LURCH
Science Advisor
...any reasonable person would expect record turnouts in among minority voters...

What makes you say that?

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
With Obama leading in the polls, the racists are getting angry and desperate. CNN was just running a number of stories about open and blatant racism directed towards Obama.

Here is one story
http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/politics/2008/10/17/racist.obama.newsletter.kcal

Also in the news of late:
(CNN) -- Pennsylvania Rep. John Murtha, a supporter of Barack Obama's presidential bid, apologized Thursday for calling western Pennsylvania "a racist area."
http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/10/16/murtha.racism.apology/

Should Murtha have apologized, or did he merely succumb to the pressure for fear of his job? Is it likely that having represented his district since 1974, he knows what he's talking about?

Evo
Mentor
More on racism in the campaign.

Republicans allege that the Association for Community Organizations for Reform Now is engaged in rampant voter fraud, but they've offered no proof of such a systematic effort.

On Friday, the U.S. Supreme Court overruled an attempt by Republicans to challenge the validity of 200,000 voter registrations in Ohio, saying that the party lacked the standing to sue.

The Republicans had sued to force Ohio Secretary of State Jennifer Brunner, a Democrat, to provide county election officials with lists of registrants whose personal information did not exactly match Social Security or driver's license data, a step that would leave those voters vulnerable to eligibility challenges.

Kettenring said that a senior ACORN staffer in Cleveland, after appearing on television this week, got an e-mail that said she "is going to have her life ended." A female staffer in Providence, R.I., got a threatening call from someone who said words to the effect of "We know you get off work at 9," then uttered racial epithets, he said.

McClatchy is withholding the women's names because of the threats.

Separately, vandals broke into the group's Boston and Seattle offices and stole computers, Kettenring said.

Since McCain's remarks, ACORN's 87 offices across the country have received hundreds of hostile e-mails, many of them containing racial slurs, Kettenring said. "We believe that these are specifically McCain supporters" sending the messages, he said.

The e-mail to the Cleveland employee was traced to a Facebook Web page in the name of a Baltimore man. It featured a photo of a McCain-Palin sign.

Kettenring said that the bulk of the e-mails had been either "flat-out racist" or had racial overtones. Most of the group's 400 members and about 80 percent of the 13,000 voter-registration canvassers are African-American or Latino.

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/312/story/54386.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Kettenring said that a senior ACORN staffer in Cleveland, after appearing on television this week, got an e-mail that said she "is going to have her life ended." A female staffer in Providence, R.I., got a threatening call from someone who said words to the effect of "We know you get off work at 9," then uttered racial epithets, he said.
Sounds like the GOP (or perhaps it's the McCain campaign) has become a terrorist organization. :rolleyes:

As far as I know, Ayers has not threatened anyone in the GOP.

It seems members of the GOP are inclined to threaten those with whom they disagree. That's the modus operandi of terrorists.

Last edited:
LURCH
Science Advisor
...any reasonable person would expect record turnouts in among minority voters...
Seriously; why?

turbo
Gold Member
Seriously; why?
Because activists have been registering voters in poorer neighborhoods at a furious clip. Why do you think that the GOP is hyperventilating about ACORN? These community activists are not scouring wealthy neighborhoods, and the GOP expects that the vast majority of the new registrants will vote Democratic. One way to suppress this new bloc is to say "we had 10 voting machines at this polling place last year, and that should be fine this year." despite the expectations that voter turnout will hit record levels. There will be slow lines blocks long if this happens, and many people will be disenfranchised as a result, especially those who who have jobs that they have to get to, or have children or elderly relatives to care for.

turbo
Gold Member
Some of the voting machines appear to be two-faced.
http://wvgazette.com/News/200810180251 [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
LURCH
Science Advisor
Can you explain who are the people that make up the multitudes that will vote for him because he is black?
These people:
Not "economically disadvantaged voters," not "inner-city voters," but "minority voters." A racially specific segment of the population that "any reasonable person" can see will show up to vote for Obama. Race will play a significant roll in this election, alright. In Obama's favor.

turbo
Gold Member
Not "economically disadvantaged voters," not "inner-city voters," but "minority voters." A racially specific segment of the population that "any reasonable person" can see will show up to vote for Obama. Race will play a significant roll in this election, alright. In Obama's favor.
Minorities are heavily represented in inner-city neighborhoods, poor neighborhoods, etc.

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
These people:

You seem to be missing the point. Blacks always heavily favor the Dems. So the percentage of blacks that would vote Dem probably won't change much from a historical pov. What will change is the level of participation. As will I, yes, black people will take great pride in casting their first vote for a black president.

On the other hand, how many white racist do we still have in the country? The Civil Rights Act cost the Dems the entire South, so racism plays a huge role here.

The next question is one of cultural fear. How many people will simply be afraid to vote for a black man? These people aren't racists. Most are just underexposed.

Last edited: