Will this calculus book 'clear' me for mechanics textbooks?

In summary, the book will help you cover topics in differential and integrative calculus, along with finite and infinite series and vector calculus. It is an upper division textbook, so you should go through a lower division mechanics book first.
Heatherfield
Hey,

I'm one of those people who's been trying to learn Physics for ages before finishing high school (writing it down like this really makes me sound like some hopeless nerd with nothing better to do..) but never got around to doing it because my calculus knowledge sucks so much. :-)

My knowledge of relevant topics is:
- high school algebra
- high school trig
- high school physics (that being mechanics and some SR all in one dimension)

To me, it seemed like the thing I lacked the most was a solid background in Calculus: our textbooks only cover the processes of differentiation and integration in very little detail. Thus, I started working myself through the seventh edition of Calculus Early Transcendentals by Stewart about a month ago. This textbook covers:
- Limits and Riemann sums
- Differentiation, integration and their applications in Maths
- Integration strategies
- Differential equations
- Polar coordinate systems
- Infinite series, including Taylor series
- Vectors and vector functions
- Partial derivatives and vector calculus

Combining these topics with my high school knowledge, will I be competent enough to get through a book such as Taylor's Classical Mechanics while being able to focus on the Physics instead of feeling mathematically incompetent? *also, if any of the topics above (the ones from the book) are useless to my pursuits, please tell. I'm pretty sure they're all essential (and interesting in their own way) but I'd rather get to the physics as soon as possible*

Kind regards

Physics news on Phys.org
If I'm not mistaken, Taylor's classical mechanics is an upper division book. You should go through a lower division mechanics book like Kleppner first (which is not necessarily easier than Tayloer).

Thanks for the tip! Could you clarify 'division' just in case though?

Heatherfield said:
Thanks for the tip! Could you clarify 'division' just in case though?
Lower division mechanics is mostly Newtonian mechanics (Which Kleppner is meant for), while upper division mechanics is Lagrangian and Hamiltonian mechanics. Don't worry about what Lagrangian and Hamiltonian Mechanics is right now; just focus on Newtonian mechanics and calculus.

1. What level of calculus is required for mechanics textbooks?

The level of calculus required for mechanics textbooks varies depending on the specific textbook and course. However, most mechanics textbooks assume a strong understanding of both differential and integral calculus, including techniques such as integration by parts and substitution.

2. Will this calculus book cover all the necessary topics for mechanics?

It is unlikely that any single calculus book will cover all the necessary topics for mechanics. Typically, mechanics textbooks will assume a strong foundation in calculus and will only review or briefly touch on certain topics as they apply to specific concepts in mechanics.

3. Can I use a pre-calculus book as a substitute for a calculus book for mechanics?

No, a pre-calculus book will not be sufficient for understanding mechanics. Pre-calculus covers basic algebra, geometry, and trigonometry, but does not include the necessary concepts and techniques for solving the complex problems in mechanics.

4. How can I tell if I am ready to move on to mechanics textbooks?

If you have a strong understanding of calculus, including both differential and integral calculus, and can confidently solve problems using techniques such as integration by parts and substitution, you are likely ready to move on to mechanics textbooks.

5. Are there any recommended calculus books for preparing for mechanics textbooks?

There are many calculus books that can provide a strong foundation for understanding mechanics. Some popular choices include "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by James Stewart and "Calculus" by Michael Spivak. It is important to choose a book that aligns with your learning style and covers the necessary topics for your specific mechanics course.