Wind-Turbine Gearbox Design project

In summary, the conversation is about a project to design a prototype conceptual gearbox for a wind turbine. The gearbox specifications include minimizing weight and size, and having a gear ratio between 33:1 to 28:1 with co-linear input and output shafts. The loading and input torques need to be calculated for a 10-year design life and continuous operation. The chosen turbine is the V80-2.0 MW located at Horns Rev 1 in Denmark, and the wind profile will be used for the project. The person is seeking guidance on how to proceed with the project.
denK24
Hi engineers and future engineers!
I have a project given by my lecturer which is to design just the gearbox in a wind turbine.
The goal of this project is to design a prototype conceptual gearbox that will power a generator on a wind turbine. The blades are about 25ft in diameter and are held in the air by a 60 foot tall tower. The turbine blades spin the input shaft of the gearbox which increases speed and decreases the torque.
Specs for the gearbox: Weight and size is minimized

Gear ratio Max 33:1 and min 28:1
Shaft arrangement Co linear input and output shafts(reverted gear train)
Input shaft protruding 4" out of the front gearbox
Output shaft protruding 2" out of the rear gearbox
Provide adequate key slots on the input and output shafts

We need to find the loading and to calculate the input torques. The turbine speed is constant at 120rpm. Weight of the turbine blades and generator will be carried on separate bearings. These component will be connected to the gearbox with flexible couplings. THE LOADING TO THE INPUT AND OUTPUT OF THE GEARBOX IS TORQUE ONLY.

The design life is 10 years. continuous operation and the loading mention above(which needs to be calculated)
I have decided to choose Denmark and the turbine i choose is V80-2.0 MW (Vestas) located at Horns Rev 1. So, i can get the wind profile from there but what's next? This is my 1st time designing such a project and my lecturer just won't help. I am desperate for help that's why i decided to seek help here.

I just need some guidance on how should i proceed after knowing the wind profile. Thanks!:smile: [/SIZE][/SIZE]

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
edited

Moderator, can I have this post deleted? I can't seem to edit my post, and I have to delete it. Thanks :D

1. What is the purpose of a wind-turbine gearbox design project?

The purpose of a wind-turbine gearbox design project is to create a reliable and efficient gearbox that can withstand the harsh conditions of wind turbine operation. This gearbox is responsible for converting the low rotational speed of the blades into a higher speed that can generate electricity.

2. What factors are considered in the design of a wind-turbine gearbox?

Several factors are taken into account when designing a wind-turbine gearbox, including the size and weight of the turbine, the wind speed and direction, the power output required, and the expected lifespan of the gearbox. Other considerations may include cost, material availability, and environmental impact.

3. What are the main challenges in wind-turbine gearbox design?

One of the main challenges in wind-turbine gearbox design is finding the balance between durability and cost. The gearbox must be able to withstand high loads and harsh weather conditions while still being cost-effective to produce. Additionally, the design must be optimized for efficiency to ensure maximum energy production.

4. How is the reliability of a wind-turbine gearbox tested?

Reliability testing of a wind-turbine gearbox typically involves subjecting the gearbox to various simulations and real-life conditions. This may include testing the gearbox under different wind speeds, loads, and temperatures. The gearbox may also undergo endurance testing to simulate its long-term performance and identify potential weaknesses.

5. What advancements have been made in wind-turbine gearbox design in recent years?

In recent years, there have been significant advancements in wind-turbine gearbox design, particularly in the use of new materials and technologies. These advancements have led to more durable and efficient gearboxes that can withstand higher loads and operate in harsher environments. Additionally, there have been developments in predictive maintenance techniques, allowing for early detection of potential gearbox failures and reducing downtime for repairs.