Reduction Gearbox Calculation question

In summary, the conversation is discussing the calculation of torque required to turn the output shaft of a 500:1 Gearbox with no load. The question is whether this information can be used to calculate the opposite, which is the torque required to turn the output shaft with a force applied. The difficulty lies in the fact that the friction loading is also multiplied at each stage, making the calculation more complex.
UrSleyeNess
If Have have the torque needed to turn the input shaft of a 500:1 Gearbox with no load, can that information allow me to calculate the opposite. I want to know the torque required to turn the output shaft.

What I mean is, if you were to apply the force to the output shaft. In other words, use a Reduction gearbox in reverse.

This has been driving me nut to figure out if it is as simple as taking the torque required to turn the input shaft and multiply it by 500 since I am talking a 500:1 ratio...

Reply here if you know or email me directly at <email address deleted by Moderator>

Thanks
Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
UrSleyeNess said:
This has been driving me nut to figure out if it is as simple as taking the torque required to turn the input shaft and multiply it by 500 since I am talking a 500:1 ratio...

No - not for a ratio as high as 500:1 .

Nidum said:
No - not for a ratio as high as 500:1 .

If not then why and how would I calculate it?

The difficulty is that the friction loading due to any bearing friction and any contact friction between the gear teeth is going to be multiplied at each stage as well.

What is a reduction gearbox?

A reduction gearbox is a mechanical device that is used to reduce the speed and increase the torque of a motor or engine. It works by using a series of gears to decrease the rotational speed of the input shaft, while increasing the torque output.

Why is it important to calculate the reduction gearbox ratio?

Calculating the reduction gearbox ratio is important because it helps determine the final output speed and torque of the system. This information is crucial for selecting the appropriate gearbox for a specific application and ensuring optimal performance.

How do you calculate the reduction gearbox ratio?

The reduction gearbox ratio can be calculated by dividing the number of teeth on the output gear by the number of teeth on the input gear. For example, if the input gear has 20 teeth and the output gear has 40 teeth, the ratio would be 40/20 or 2:1.

What factors should be considered when calculating the reduction gearbox ratio?

When calculating the reduction gearbox ratio, it is important to consider the desired output speed and torque, as well as the input speed and torque of the motor or engine. It is also important to take into account the efficiency of the gearbox and any potential losses due to friction or other factors.

How can the reduction gearbox ratio be optimized for a specific application?

The reduction gearbox ratio can be optimized by selecting a gearbox with the appropriate gear sizes and number of stages. It is also important to consider the type of gears used, such as spur, helical, or planetary, as this can affect the overall efficiency and performance of the gearbox.