• Thread starter WWGD
  • Start date
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2019 Award

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hi All,
I was using my Win10 HP for standard surfing ; nothing that would require intensive processing and it just turned off at random, for no apparent reason. I was unable to turn it on for a few minutes ( no response when pressing the power switch) , after which it turned on , did the POST and everything went down to normal. This happened 3 times in a period of some 2 hours. Any ideas? I don't know enough to go through the thousands of options in event viewer. I do have a copy of MSInfo32, attached.Any Ideas? Will go to sleep soon, and will followup tomorrow morning. Thanks for any suggestions.

Attachments

Answers and Replies

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2019 Award
Sounds like your computer is overheating. Try raising it up from the surface it's on to get more air circulation for the heat dump (my HP laptop has no fan so I'm assuming yours also may not)

Tom.G
Science Advisor
I don't know enough to go through the thousands of options in event viewer.
You can tell the Event Viewer to sort by date and time (I think that is the default), that makes it (relatively) easy to find what happened.

@phinds suggestion seems the most likely though.

CWatters
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Check cpu fan? Although some have a warning alarm. Did the motherboard make an beeps?

Dr Transport
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Besides heat buildup, the root cause may be dust in your case. A couple of years ago my computer kept kicking itself off of my network even though I was hardwired. Culprit was dust (seems I was remodeling my house and the dust and dirt from that was shorting out my network card). Worth a can of air to see.....

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2019 Award
Good point. Dust can also be the cause of heat buildup.

WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2019 Award
Thanks all again. Computer seems to be back to normal without my having done anything. Will keep you posted if anything special happens.

Svein
Science Advisor
Insights Author
In my experience, faults that come and go for no apparent reason are usually due to a faulty RAM (die fault, connector fault etc.).

First line check: Try pushing hard down on the RAMs to make sure they are seated properly.
Second line try: Buy a new RAM set and exchange.

Tom.G
Science Advisor
Or just unplug and replug the RAM a few times; cleans oxidation and contamination off the contacts.

russ_watters
Mentor
Spontaneous shutdowns can also be a symptom of a failing power supply.