Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Windows 10 HP Turns off at Random

1. Sep 12, 2018 #1

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi All,
    I was using my Win10 HP for standard surfing ; nothing that would require intensive processing and it just turned off at random, for no apparent reason. I was unable to turn it on for a few minutes ( no response when pressing the power switch) , after which it turned on , did the POST and everything went down to normal. This happened 3 times in a period of some 2 hours. Any ideas? I don't know enough to go through the thousands of options in event viewer. I do have a copy of MSInfo32, attached.Any Ideas? Will go to sleep soon, and will followup tomorrow morning. Thanks for any suggestions.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2018 #2

phinds

Gold Member

Sounds like your computer is overheating. Try raising it up from the surface it's on to get more air circulation for the heat dump (my HP laptop has no fan so I'm assuming yours also may not)

4. Sep 13, 2018 #3

Tom.G

Science Advisor

You can tell the Event Viewer to sort by date and time (I think that is the default), that makes it (relatively) easy to find what happened.

@phinds suggestion seems the most likely though.

5. Sep 13, 2018 #4

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Check cpu fan? Although some have a warning alarm. Did the motherboard make an beeps?

6. Sep 14, 2018 #5

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Besides heat buildup, the root cause may be dust in your case. A couple of years ago my computer kept kicking itself off of my network even though I was hardwired. Culprit was dust (seems I was remodeling my house and the dust and dirt from that was shorting out my network card). Worth a can of air to see.....

7. Sep 14, 2018 #6

phinds

Gold Member

Good point. Dust can also be the cause of heat buildup.

8. Sep 16, 2018 #7

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks all again. Computer seems to be back to normal without my having done anything. Will keep you posted if anything special happens.

9. Sep 18, 2018 #8

Svein

Science Advisor

In my experience, faults that come and go for no apparent reason are usually due to a faulty RAM (die fault, connector fault etc.).

First line check: Try pushing hard down on the RAMs to make sure they are seated properly.
    Second line try: Buy a new RAM set and exchange.

10. Sep 18, 2018 #9

Tom.G

Science Advisor

Or just unplug and replug the RAM a few times; cleans oxidation and contamination off the contacts.

11. Sep 18, 2018 #10
  12. Sep 18, 2018 #11

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Spontaneous shutdowns can also be a symptom of a failing power supply.

13. Sep 25, 2018 #12

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted