Wire size and type for gain clone type amp?

• Thread starter JohnM24018
  • Start date
I have constructed a gain clone type amp based on the LM3886 chip from Texas Instruments. I have wired it using some available 16 gauge stranded wire. It is powered by a centertapped 34 volt (68 volt total) transformer that is fused by a 2 amp fuse. It is working with no issues however I would like to rewire the thing with smaller wire to clean it up. Would you please advise me as to the minimum size and what the wire is called if there is a particular type of trade name. Project wire is unavailable to me where I live. The auction site works best for service and inexpensive shipping. Thank you John.

Answers and Replies

davenn
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I have constructed a gain clone type amp

never heard of the term before

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gainclone
now that I know what it is, nothing special

It is working with no issues however I would like to rewire the thing with smaller wire to clean it up.

is it really worth the effort ?? seriously ?

there's an old saying ... " if it aint broke, don't fix it"

For only a couple of amps for each rail, you could easily drop down to 20SWG, I wouldn't go any smaller

look up insulated hook-up wire

Dave

Tom.G
Science Advisor
Keep the 16ga to pins 1,3,4,5, the power supply, and the speaker connectors. The rest can be whatever is easy to get and work with. I usually use 22ga, stranded if there will be vibration or flexing in use or solid otherwise. I find the solid a little easier to work with. Even 30ga would be OK If you like working with tiny wire.

If you have good speakers needing more than 6 feet (2meters) of wire, you may get better sound using 12ga to them.

sophiecentaur
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2020 Award
is it really worth the effort ?? seriously ?
Decide what actual spec you need from this amplifier before you spend more time on it. That's the basis of all 'good' Engineering.