Wire size and type for gain clone type amp?

In summary: Is it worth it to you to do the job twice?In summary, John has constructed a gain clone type amp based on the LM3886 chip from Texas Instruments and wired it using 16 gauge stranded wire. It is powered by a center-tapped 34 volt transformer and is working well. However, he wants to rewire it with smaller wire and is seeking advice on the minimum size and type of wire to use. He is unable to access project wire where he lives but prefers to use an auction site for service and inexpensive shipping. Some suggested using 20SWG or 22-30 gauge insulated hook-up wire, with 12 gauge for speakers needing more than 6 feet of wire. It is also recommended to consider the necessary specifications
JohnM24018
I have constructed a gain clone type amp based on the LM3886 chip from Texas Instruments. I have wired it using some available 16 gauge stranded wire. It is powered by a centertapped 34 volt (68 volt total) transformer that is fused by a 2 amp fuse. It is working with no issues however I would like to rewire the thing with smaller wire to clean it up. Would you please advise me as to the minimum size and what the wire is called if there is a particular type of trade name. Project wire is unavailable to me where I live. The auction site works best for service and inexpensive shipping. Thank you John.

Engineering news on Phys.org
JohnM24018 said:
I have constructed a gain clone type amp

never heard of the term before

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gainclone
now that I know what it is, nothing special

JohnM24018 said:
It is working with no issues however I would like to rewire the thing with smaller wire to clean it up.

is it really worth the effort ?? seriously ?

there's an old saying ... " if it aint broke, don't fix it"For only a couple of amps for each rail, you could easily drop down to 20SWG, I wouldn't go any smaller

look up insulated hook-up wireDave

Keep the 16ga to pins 1,3,4,5, the power supply, and the speaker connectors. The rest can be whatever is easy to get and work with. I usually use 22ga, stranded if there will be vibration or flexing in use or solid otherwise. I find the solid a little easier to work with. Even 30ga would be OK If you like working with tiny wire.

If you have good speakers needing more than 6 feet (2meters) of wire, you may get better sound using 12ga to them.

davenn said:
is it really worth the effort ?? seriously ?
Decide what actual spec you need from this amplifier before you spend more time on it. That's the basis of all 'good' Engineering.

What is the recommended wire size for a gain clone type amp?

The recommended wire size for a gain clone type amp is typically 18-22 AWG (American Wire Gauge). This is because it is thick enough to handle the current and power requirements of the amplifier, but not too thick to cause unnecessary resistance and affect the sound quality.

What is the difference between solid and stranded wire for a gain clone type amp?

The main difference between solid and stranded wire is the construction. Solid wire is made up of a single piece of conductive material, while stranded wire is made up of multiple strands of smaller wires twisted together. In general, stranded wire is more flexible and less prone to breakage, making it a better choice for applications where the wire may need to be bent or moved frequently.

Can I use speaker wire for my gain clone type amp?

It is not recommended to use speaker wire for a gain clone type amp. Speaker wire is typically much thicker than the recommended wire size for an amp, and can cause resistance and affect the sound quality. Additionally, speaker wire is not typically rated for the voltage and current requirements of an amp.

Is there a specific type of wire that works best for a gain clone type amp?

For the most part, any wire that meets the recommended size and is made of a good quality conductor (such as copper or silver) should work well for a gain clone type amp. However, some audiophiles may prefer certain types of wire (such as silver-plated or oxygen-free copper) for their perceived sound quality benefits.

Do I need to use shielded wire for my gain clone type amp?

It is not necessary to use shielded wire for a gain clone type amp, as the signal being carried is typically not sensitive enough to be affected by outside interference. However, if you are experiencing any interference or noise issues, you may consider using shielded wire for added protection.

Back