Wired question request some pro help

• Thread starter jacobgong
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Request
In summary: If you have propulsion, you can escape at any speed, as long as you're willing to wait long enough for a cumulative effect of the thrust. So yes, the rocket can go into space, and yes, it can enter an Earth orbit, as long as it has enough fuel to keep accelerating at a rate of just over 9.81M/s. In summary, the question is whether a rocket with constant mass and limited power can get into space and enter an Earth orbit, and the answer is yes, as long as it has enough fuel to maintain a constant acceleration of just over 9.81M/s.
jacobgong
I have a question that is not present in any physics book I've ever seen:
Supose I have a rocket with infinite fuel, but it's mass is constant. This rocket's power is limited and can only provide enugh thrust to accelerate it self at a rate of just over 9.81M/s. If I were to lunch this rocket straight up into the air with a equipment onboard(with zero mass) that will absolutly keep the rocket from changing direction.(reletive to Earth's rotation axis)
The question is, is this rocket able to get into space (higher than the lowest stable Earth orbit).
The second question is, without increasing it's power, is it possible to enter an Earth orbit after it's in space.
---------------
this question is driving me crazy trying to convince people that the escape velocity and so on don't apply to this situation... They just keep saying I make no sense and nothing can go into space without a minimum orbit velocity.
I know I'm right that this thing can go into space but looks like most people don't even understand what do the words in those physics textbooks mean. too bad I'm not good at school physics and can't explane with super pro-looking equations...

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

jacobgong said:
The question is, is this rocket able to get into space (higher than the lowest stable Earth orbit).
The second question is, without increasing it's power, is it possible to enter an Earth orbit after it's in space.
---------------
this question is driving me crazy trying to convince people that the escape velocity and so on don't apply to this situation... They just keep saying I make no sense and nothing can go into space without a minimum orbit velocity.
I know I'm right that this thing can go into space …

Hi jacobgong! Welcome to PF! :smile:

You're right, of course, that it can go into space …

if you rise at a constant speed of one metre per second for a million seconds, you'll obviously go a million metres (1000 Km) …

keep going long enough, and you can go as far as you want! :smile:

But getting into circular orbit will be more difficult … I suppose you could use the extra acceleration (you'll need less and less as you go higher, so there'll be some over :wink:) to go sideways a little, and gradually build up the sideways velocity until you reach orbital velocity.
btw, H. G. Wells had the identical idea …
in The First Men in the Moon, a Professor Cavor invented cavorite, an gravity-blocking device which took him to the moon at roughly that speed. :biggrin:

Thanks, I thought so...
But the problem remains, without a super mind-blowing and eye catching list of equations, my reputations remains as knowing nothing about physics and ignores the laws of gravity, escape velocity and so on and so forth... So, how can I convince people that I'm right about it? cause they're taking what I said as a joke and posting them on forums to make fun of me...
I just want to prove to them that I've been right and they didn't understand what Newton's laws ment. and don't worry it's not cyber bullying...:smile:

What "they" appear to be missing is that escape velocity is the velocity you need to escape without propulsion.

1. What is the purpose of "Wired question request some pro help"?

The purpose of "Wired question request some pro help" is to seek assistance from professionals in answering a complex or difficult question related to technology or science.

2. How do I submit a "Wired question request some pro help"?

To submit a "Wired question request some pro help", you can either post your question on a community forum or reach out to a specific expert or organization for assistance.

3. Is there a cost associated with "Wired question request some pro help"?

It depends on the platform or expert you are seeking help from. Some may offer their services for free, while others may charge a fee for their expertise and time.

4. Can I request "Wired question request some pro help" for any topic?

Yes, you can request "Wired question request some pro help" for any topic related to technology or science. However, it is important to make sure that the platform or expert you are seeking help from has knowledge and expertise in that particular topic.

5. How long does it take to receive a response for "Wired question request some pro help"?

The response time for "Wired question request some pro help" can vary depending on the platform or expert you are seeking help from. Some may respond within a few hours, while others may take a few days. It is important to be patient and understand that the experts may have other commitments as well.