Wolfram alpha giving wrong solutions?(link)

In summary, the function x^2/ln(x) has no real solution under zero, however, the real and imaginary parts of the complex solution are shown.
Jarfi
So yeah, Just using wolfram to help draw a nice function, when this happens:

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=x^2/ln(x)

It shows a real part under zero, when the function given, x^2/ln(x) has no real solution under zero ! It's domain being:

Dm(f) = ]0;11;infinity[

need explanations fast.

Physics news on Phys.org
$$\ln(-x) = \ln(-1 \times x) = \ln(-1) + \ln(x) = i \pi + \ln(x)$$

DrClaude said:
$$\ln(-x) = \ln(-1 \times x) = \ln(-1) + \ln(x) = i \pi + \ln(x)$$

This is the imaginary solution.

Jarfi said:
This is the imaginary solution.

I'm confused by the question, but if I understand right what's the of ln(.5), that would give you a negative solution.

If that's not what you mean select real valued plot, and not complex.

Student100 said:
I'm confused by the question, but if I understand right what's the of ln(.5), that would give you a negative solution.

If that's not what you mean select real valued plot, and not complex.

It shows both the real and complex plot, however the real plot is drawn what seems incorrectly, it should stop at zero since x is not defined under zero for the real solution.

Then you don't understand what it shows - blue and red are imaginary and real parts of the complex solution, you have to switch to real valued plot (select it from the drop down).

Jarfi said:
It shows both the real and complex plot, however the real plot is drawn what seems incorrectly, it should stop at zero since x is not defined under zero for the real solution.

It's showing you the real and complex parts of the solution. You need to tab down to real valued plot.

Borek said:
Then you don't understand what it shows - blue and red are imaginary and real parts of the complex solution, you have to switch to real valued plot (select it from the drop down).

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks.

1. Why is Wolfram Alpha giving me a different solution than other calculators?

Wolfram Alpha uses a unique algorithm and computational methods to provide solutions, which may differ from other calculators that use different methods. Additionally, Wolfram Alpha has a vast database of information and can provide more complex and accurate solutions.

2. How do I know if the solution provided by Wolfram Alpha is correct?

Wolfram Alpha is a trusted and reliable source for computational and mathematical solutions. However, it is always recommended to double-check the solution and its steps to ensure accuracy.

3. Can I change the settings or inputs to get a different solution on Wolfram Alpha?

Yes, Wolfram Alpha allows users to customize their inputs and settings to get different solutions. You can also specify the desired precision of the solution and choose from various mathematical methods.

4. Why does Wolfram Alpha sometimes give a complex solution instead of a real one?

Wolfram Alpha provides solutions based on mathematical principles, which may include complex numbers in certain cases. If the solution seems incorrect, you can specify the desired output type in the settings.

5. How often are the solutions and data on Wolfram Alpha updated?

Wolfram Alpha is continuously updating its database and algorithms to provide the most accurate and up-to-date solutions. However, there may be some delay in updating certain data, so it is always recommended to check the date of the solution provided.