Women and painting: is it just me or do they really, really like it?

• Thread starter OAQfirst
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Women
In summary: I think it's down to the nurturing side of women. They like to feel like they're making a difference in the world, even if it's just for one room.
ViewsofMars said:
Furthermore, if you had a 4,000 sq. foot house built with a pool and landscaped you would know otherwise.
Maybe she has a pool, a landscape, a garden, a farm, maybe she also produces her own electricity (or part of it, yet), and designed and built a well where she stores her own water, which she gets both from a spring and by cleaning rain water using her own patent.

Do you know Moonbear ?

Physics news on Phys.org
For my wife, painting is a thrill that is second only to WALLPAPERING. She can agonize over wallpaper books and never seems to be able to choose (only narrow down) and when she is desperate she passes the selection on to me. Generally, I pick a pattern in a few minutes, and then she says "WOW! that's perfect", and she buys it and installs it (she's good with wallpaper). We just had new kitchen cabinets and counters installed, and I did most of the design-work around the countertops and backsplashes. I wanted (demanded!) a combination of stone framed with oiled cherry and paid a little extra to get that, but the WOW factor is worth it all. My wife and I cook a lot, and it cost quite a bit to re-design and build the kitchen to make it a more productive space for us, but once we were committed, it was a no-brainer to incorporate some style. What's not a no-brainer is that we live in a log cabin, so there is a fine line to walk between "rough" and "nice". Got to simplify the "nice" enough not to clash with "rough".

turbo-1 said:
For my wife, painting is a thrill that is second only to WALLPAPERING. She can agonize over wallpaper books and never seems to be able to choose (only narrow down) and when she is desperate she passes the selection on to me. Generally, I pick a pattern in a few minutes, and then she says "WOW! that's perfect", and she buys it and installs it (she's good with wallpaper). We just had new kitchen cabinets and counters installed, and I did most of the design-work around the countertops and backsplashes. I wanted (demanded!) a combination of stone framed with oiled cherry and paid a little extra to get that, but the WOW factor is worth it all. My wife and I cook a lot, and it cost quite a bit to re-design and build the kitchen to make it a more productive space for us, but once we were committed, it was a no-brainer to incorporate some style. What's not a no-brainer is that we live in a log cabin, so there is a fine line to walk between "rough" and "nice". Got to simplify the "nice" enough not to clash with "rough".

:rofl:

The visual image in my head of a wall-papered log wall...ahahahaha...!

lisab said:
:rofl:

The visual image in my head of a wall-papered log wall...ahahahaha...!
We don't wallpaper exterior walls, but these rough "beaver puke" interior walls have been a handful as have the assemblage of obstacle courses that we faced while trying to get the rough walls to conform to a nice, slow, custom-fit installation.

ViewsofMars said:
It seems to me that the men you know are very different from the men I know.

Obviously, because the men I know work in the professions you apparently lack the knowledge to be familiar with. My father was a contractor, my stepfather a mechanic, my step-brother a roofer, the next door neighbor when I grew up did gutter installation, the guy down the street was the one who installed furnaces and A/C.

While you're bragging about inviting the hired help to your fancy pool party, I am actually related to those people. It goes without saying that they are invited for my parties. Your arrogance is astounding.

Sorry, humanino, I don't have a 4000 sq foot house. Those are for the rich snobs who hire housekeepers because they can't be bothered doing their own dirty work. I keep my house within a size I can manage myself. I don't mind getting dirt under my fingernails.

Moonbear said:
Sorry, humanino, I don't have a 4000 sq foot house. Those are for the rich snobs who hire housekeepers because they can't be bothered doing their own dirty work. I keep my house within a size I can manage myself. I don't mind getting dirt under my fingernails.
What I escribed exists, and is entirely managed by the owner on his spare time. Carrying a pager, he can be called at night even on week ends and does not necessarily have so much of spare time. Well, he wakes up at 3am and goes to bed at 11pm. After he's done with the chicken and the garden, he also renews old cars and brews his own beer. Only, I have no idea what a sq foot is.

humanino said:
What I escribed exists, and is entirely managed by the owner on his spare time. Carrying a pager, he can be called at night even on week ends and does not necessarily have so much of spare time. Well, he wakes up at 3am and goes to bed at 11pm. After he's done with the chicken and the garden, he also renews old cars and brews his own beer. Only, I have no idea what a sq foot is.

sq foot is 1 foot2.

4000 ft² = 371.6 m², which refers to floor space in a house, in this context. It's is a really big house in the US.

lisab said:
sq foot is 1 foot2.
Thanks lisab :shy:

You know, I've heard a talk by Harald Fritzsch recently. He claimed that during Bush senior, there was a movement to adopt the metric system in the US. He gave a talk for Gell-Mann's (maybe ?) birthday. And Gell-Mann asked him to talk about the electron mass. Since he really did not know what to discuss, he computed the electron mass in american pounds, and found 2.00x10-30 (please note, at that time W|A was not yet producing results in fundamental physics), and mentioned it as a joke during the birthday talk. Unfortunately, somebody in the audience picked it up, and later used it seriously against the metric system, as if it was anything more than a mere coincidence. Fritzsch thought he should apologize for that.

Do you happen to know how the Fahrenheit was chosen ? I hear contradicting theories.

Moonbear said:
Obviously, because the men I know work in the professions you apparently lack the knowledge to be familiar with. My father was a contractor, my stepfather a mechanic, my step-brother a roofer, the next door neighbor when I grew up did gutter installation, the guy down the street was the one who installed furnaces and A/C.

What makes you think I don't have family members that are in the trades or people I know in the trades? I surely do or I wouldn't have addressed your comments. I wasn't picking things out the air without any previous knowledge about the subject matter! You earlier said, "This is why men try not to let women do these jobs...they fear that the more of us who do them for ourselves, the less they can get away with pretending it's a long, hard job to do because we'll know better." And you also said, "Honestly, they are simple tasks that don't require a lot of intelligence. That's why people can be employed in those professions even if they haven't graduated high school." Are you referring to "your" family members? And please remember I made it very clear that 'the men you know are very different from the men I know'. (ref. #34) We don't have the same life experiences. Chances are we don't know the same men.

Moonbear said:
While you're bragging about inviting the hired help to your fancy pool party, I am actually related to those people. It goes without saying that they are invited for my parties. Your arrogance is astounding.

I wasn't bragging about anything. I plainly stated, "Plus, I have enough work to do. I like to garden, but I'm not going to chop down a 50 foot tree or build an harbor. I leave it for a professional." By the way, I never said I had a pool nor a 4,000 sq. foot house. You were the one who jumped to the conclusion that I did. I don't. You assumed wrong when I wrote, "Furthermore, if you had a 4,000 sq. foot house built with a pool and landscaped you would know otherwise." That was in reference to my comment:

I'm really surprised by your response Moonbear. You obviously lack the knowledge to make assumptions about who is and who isn't intelligent. The majority of people in those professions that I do know are skilled and have a high school education and 4 years of trade school (union) with continuing madatory educational courses. And they do make plenty of $$$$$$$. They have an extremely high level of intelligence. They build hospitals, refineries, hotels, prisons, etc. I should mention that I have friends from every walk of life. And, if I throw a party everyone is invited including scientists, the garbage man, paper boy, musician, kids, CEO's, Trustees, etc. No power play there. Just living life to the fullest and enjoying the company. (I most definitely wouldn't ever tell a child they weren't intelligent.)

Moonbear said:

Well, I'm not humanino. I get dirt under my fingers when I garden. But you again wrongly assume that people who have a 4,000 sq foot house are as you wrote, "Those are for the rich snobs who hire housekeepers because they can't be bothered doing their own dirty work." Wow! Astounding ignorance! None of my friends including scientists that have a 4,000 sq foot house or larger are snobs! Some of them are professors at several universities. I know a few of them do have a professional cleaning service come in once a week because they are busy at work, travel, or involved with their children's after school activities and their wives are busy with kids and volunteer programs. And many of them with large homes do have wives that do their own gardening! Yep, they get dirt under their fingers too! I will tell you flat out that I am totally ticked that you have now called my friends snobs which is not the case! I consider everyone I invite to my house not hired help but rather a friend that comes to help me.

Moonbear, if you think intelligence is based on your perfect world then reconsider others aren't of your mindset.:smile:

As far as women painting, there is a small group of women artists who invited me to join their monthy painting club. We go to remote localities where we do landscape paintings. I just sold a small 12 in. x 8 in. painting. A friend of mine who is a scientist bought it for $350.00 which was donated to charity. A great indicator of intelligence is giving to charities that support underpriviledged children. I don't think there's an ounce of snobbery in doing that. That is if you care about people.

Last edited:
<h2>1. Why do women seem to be more interested in painting than men?</h2><p>There are a variety of factors that may contribute to this observation. One possible explanation is that societal norms and expectations have historically encouraged women to pursue artistic hobbies and interests, while discouraging men from doing so. Additionally, women may have more opportunities to engage in painting and other creative activities due to their roles as caregivers and homemakers.</p><h2>2. Is there any scientific evidence to support the idea that women are naturally better at painting?</h2><p>No, there is no scientific evidence to support the idea that women are inherently better at painting than men. While there may be differences in artistic preferences and styles between genders, these differences are largely influenced by societal and cultural factors rather than biological ones.</p><h2>3. Are there any notable female painters throughout history?</h2><p>Absolutely! Women have been creating beautiful and influential works of art for centuries. Some notable female painters include Frida Kahlo, Mary Cassatt, Georgia O'Keeffe, and Artemisia Gentileschi.</p><h2>4. What impact have women had on the art world?</h2><p>Women have had a significant impact on the art world, both as artists and as subjects of art. Throughout history, women have challenged traditional gender roles and societal expectations through their artwork. They have also brought attention to important social and political issues through their artistic expression.</p><h2>5. Is there a gender gap in the art world?</h2><p>Yes, there is a gender gap in the art world. Women are often underrepresented in galleries, museums, and art exhibitions. They also tend to receive less recognition and lower prices for their artwork compared to male artists. However, there have been efforts in recent years to address and close this gap through initiatives such as the Guerrilla Girls and the #MeToo movement in the art world.</p>

1. Why do women seem to be more interested in painting than men?

There are a variety of factors that may contribute to this observation. One possible explanation is that societal norms and expectations have historically encouraged women to pursue artistic hobbies and interests, while discouraging men from doing so. Additionally, women may have more opportunities to engage in painting and other creative activities due to their roles as caregivers and homemakers.

2. Is there any scientific evidence to support the idea that women are naturally better at painting?

No, there is no scientific evidence to support the idea that women are inherently better at painting than men. While there may be differences in artistic preferences and styles between genders, these differences are largely influenced by societal and cultural factors rather than biological ones.

3. Are there any notable female painters throughout history?

Absolutely! Women have been creating beautiful and influential works of art for centuries. Some notable female painters include Frida Kahlo, Mary Cassatt, Georgia O'Keeffe, and Artemisia Gentileschi.

4. What impact have women had on the art world?

Women have had a significant impact on the art world, both as artists and as subjects of art. Throughout history, women have challenged traditional gender roles and societal expectations through their artwork. They have also brought attention to important social and political issues through their artistic expression.

5. Is there a gender gap in the art world?

Yes, there is a gender gap in the art world. Women are often underrepresented in galleries, museums, and art exhibitions. They also tend to receive less recognition and lower prices for their artwork compared to male artists. However, there have been efforts in recent years to address and close this gap through initiatives such as the Guerrilla Girls and the #MeToo movement in the art world.