Wondering how to wire led series

In summary, the speaker is trying to get a series of 17 white LEDs to run in their car as a custom LED gauge cluster. They are unsure of the voltage supply needed and wondering about the best way to wire them. They have been told they need 100 ohm resistors, but this doesn't make sense with a 12V example. Another speaker suggests designing the string to work on 14V, using 4 LEDs and a 100 ohm resistor, or 3 LEDs and a 240 ohm resistor.
darrylmcl
Hi there, I have a series of LEDs that I need to get running. i plan to use this series in my car as a cutom LED gauge cluster (you know, speedometer, fuel, engine heat). Anyhow, I've got 17 white LEDs

Specs:
Voltage Supply = Unkown
17 LEDs
3.1 Voltage
20 - 30 mA

I was wondering if anyone may know the amount off voltage needed to power something like this and also the best way to wire them (i was thinking series).

Using a resistor calculator I've been told that I need 100 oHm resitistors. (this was with a 12V example) which doesn't make sense as the 12V's couldn't posibly illuminate this seires.

Thanks in advance

Darryl

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Darryl-
You have to design this string to work on about 14 volts, the maximum voltage when the engine and alternator are on. My guess is that you want 4 LEDs and 100 ohm resistor in a string. There will be 12 volt drop across 4 LEDs in series, and 2 volts across the 100-ohm resistor. You could also do 3 LEDs and a 240 ohm resistor in series.
Bob S

Hi Darryl,

Wiring LED series can be a bit tricky, but it's definitely doable. First, you need to determine the voltage supply for your LEDs. This can usually be found on the packaging or in the product specifications. Once you have that information, you can use a resistor calculator (like the one you mentioned) to determine the appropriate resistor value for your specific voltage supply.

In your case, it seems like you have 17 LEDs with a voltage requirement of 3.1V each. This means that for a series circuit, you would need a total of 52.7V to power all 17 LEDs (3.1V x 17 LEDs = 52.7V). This is obviously not possible with a 12V supply, so you will need to find a different power source or reduce the number of LEDs in your series.

Assuming you are able to find a power source that can provide 52.7V, you can then use a resistor calculator to determine the correct resistor value. For example, if you have a 52.7V supply and your LEDs require 20-30mA, you would need a resistor value of approximately 1,760 ohms (52.7V / 0.03A = 1,760 ohms). This will ensure that each LED receives the correct amount of current and does not get damaged.

As for wiring, series is the correct way to wire your LEDs. This means that the positive (+) end of one LED should be connected to the negative (-) end of the next LED, and so on until all 17 LEDs are connected in a single line. The positive end of the first LED and the negative end of the last LED should then be connected to your power source and ground, respectively.

I hope this helps and good luck with your LED gauge cluster project!

1. How do I determine the correct wiring for a series of LED lights?

The correct wiring for a series of LED lights depends on the voltage and current requirements of the LEDs. You will need to calculate the total voltage and current of the LEDs in order to select the appropriate power source and wire them in series.

2. Can I use any type of wire for LED series wiring?

No, it is important to use the correct type of wire for LED series wiring. The wire should have a low resistance and be able to handle the voltage and current requirements of the LEDs. It is recommended to use stranded wire rather than solid wire for flexibility and better connectivity.

3. What is the purpose of wiring LEDs in series?

Wiring LEDs in series allows you to connect multiple LEDs to a single power source. This helps to conserve energy and reduce the number of power sources needed for a lighting setup. It also helps to maintain a consistent level of brightness among the LEDs.

4. How do I avoid damaging the LEDs during wiring?

To avoid damaging the LEDs, it is important to use the correct voltage and current for the LEDs. Make sure to use a power source that matches the voltage and current requirements of the LEDs. It is also recommended to use a resistor in the circuit to regulate the current and prevent damage to the LEDs.

5. Can I wire different colored LEDs in series?

Yes, you can wire different colored LEDs in series as long as they have the same voltage and current requirements. However, keep in mind that the different colored LEDs may have slightly different brightness levels due to variations in their manufacturing process.