Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wondering how to wire led series

1. Sep 12, 2009 #1
    Hi there, I have a series of LEDs that I need to get running. i plan to use this series in my car as a cutom LED guage cluster (you know, speedometer, fuel, engine heat). Anyhow, I've got 17 white LEDs

Specs:
    Voltage Supply = Unkown
    17 LEDs
    3.1 Voltage
    20 - 30 mA

I was wondering if anyone may know the amount off voltage needed to power something like this and also the best way to wire them (i was thinking series).

Using a resistor calculator Ive been told that I need 100 oHm resitistors. (this was with a 12V example) which doesnt make sense as the 12V's couldnt posibly illuminate this seires.

Thanks in advance

Darryl

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2009 #2
    Hi Darryl-
    You have to design this string to work on about 14 volts, the maximum voltage when the engine and alternator are on. My guess is that you want 4 LEDs and 100 ohm resistor in a string. There will be 12 volt drop across 4 LEDs in series, and 2 volts across the 100-ohm resistor. You could also do 3 LEDs and a 240 ohm resistor in series.
    Bob S

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook