Wood Shield For Magnetic Field?

In summary, the show said that the Nazis initially had problems with the compass on their V-1 terror drone because of magnetic interference from the metal in the chassis. They solved the problem by encasing the compass in a wooden shell.
Hexogen
So, I was watching PBS's Nazi Mega Weapons, and they were discussing the V-1 terror drone when they said something that made me scratch my head. They said that the Nazis initially had problems with the compass that facilitated navigation because of magnetic interference from the metal in the V-1 chassis. The part that confused me is that they solved this problem by encasing the compass in a wooden shell. I didn't think that an insulator could stop magnetic field lines. In fact, I'm pretty sure of it, unless we can make monopoles now. Any speculation on how this worked, or if the show meant something else when they said this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure the wood was a shield? My interpretation of what you wrote would be that the part of the shell of the drone that surrounded the compass was made of wood so that the compass was outside the metal chassis, yet still securely attached to it. ie the wood was to put the compass where the metal chassis wouldn't shield the compass from the Earth's magnetic field.

Likes Hexogen and berkeman
Maybe the metal was blocking the Earth's magnetic field and the use of wood allowed the compass to work properly.

Likes berkeman
Hexogen said:
PBS's
Hexogen said:
if the show meant something else
Consider the source; consider the number of different conflicts in which the source has sunk HMS Barham. Ignore source soundtrack and examine raw footage.

Hexogen said:
I didn't think that an insulator could stop magnetic field lines.

You don't want to "stop magnetic field lines" from reaching the compass, right? :wink:

Hexogen said:
So, I was watching PBS's Nazi Mega Weapons, and they were discussing the V-1 terror drone when they said something that made me scratch my head. They said that the Nazis initially had problems with the compass that facilitated navigation because of magnetic interference from the metal in the V-1 chassis. The part that confused me is that they solved this problem by encasing the compass in a wooden shell. I didn't think that an insulator could stop magnetic field lines. In fact, I'm pretty sure of it, unless we can make monopoles now. Any speculation on how this worked, or if the show meant something else when they said this?
IDK what this program was talking about, but the V-1 was guided by an on-board gyrocompass, which is not the same thing as a magnetic compass.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V-1_flying_bomb#Guidance_system

A gyrocompass works by spinning up a disk to a very high speed, so much so that the disk maintains its original orientation even though the vehicle carrying it may be moving about.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyrocompass

Gyros are used to guide all sorts of vehicles, from aircraft to ships to missiles, etc.

The V-1 guidance system was crude and only allowed the craft to fly on a heading set before launch. The range to the target was counted down by a spinner in the nose which cut off fuel to the ramjet when the missile had traveled the required distance. The V-1 then dived unpowered into the target after that point.

Likes Hexogen
Steamking. The gyroscope remained true on the basis of feedback received from a magnetic compass. found that on your wiki page link =)

Wouldn't the wooden frame create extra distance between the compass and the metal rocket ? That would surly decrease the magnetic interference. It would probably help somewhat with vibrations to I'm guessing?

Last edited:
Google found a description..

http://www.zenza.se/vw/

In the front of the war head is a light-alloy fairing with a detachable nose cap built of the same material. The object of using duralumin at this point is to keep down magnetic influences, since the magnetic compass is carried in the nose. The compass can be pre-set to guide the aircraft on the desired course; it is carried in a large bowl-shaped wooden receptacle.

So basically they used wood/duralumin instead of steel because steel would affect the compass. Wood/duralumin is also lighter than steel

There is actually a photo of the wooden cover for the V1 compass on this page. Sorry I can't link direct to the photo. Search the page for "V1 wooden nose"

http://spitfirespares.co.uk/Rockets 1.html

Likes Hexogen
Emerging consensus is that it functioned as a spacer and non-ferrous enclosure, rather than any kind of "blocking" which seems to make sense, but is an oddly disappointing answer somehow.

1. What is a wood shield for magnetic field?

A wood shield for magnetic field is a piece of wood that is placed between a magnet and an object to block or reduce the magnetic field.

2. How does a wood shield for magnetic field work?

A wood shield for magnetic field works by creating a barrier between the magnet and the object, preventing the magnetic field from passing through and affecting the object.

3. What types of wood are typically used for a wood shield for magnetic field?

Commonly used woods for a wood shield for magnetic field include pine, cedar, and balsa. These woods have a low density and low magnetic permeability, making them effective in shielding magnetic fields.

4. What are the benefits of using a wood shield for magnetic field?

Using a wood shield for magnetic field can protect sensitive electronic devices from being affected by strong magnetic fields. It can also prevent interference between nearby magnets, making it useful in industrial and scientific applications.

5. Can a wood shield for magnetic field be customized for specific needs?

Yes, a wood shield for magnetic field can be customized to fit specific shapes and sizes. It can also be painted or coated with materials that provide additional shielding properties, such as metal or conductive paint.