1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Word Problem with Geometric Series

1. Nov 24, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The total reserves of a nonrenewable resource are 600 million tons. Annual consumption, currently 20 million tons per year, is expected to rise by 1% each year. After how many years will the reserve be exhausted?

Part 2. Instead of Increasing by 1% each year, suppose consumption was decreasing by a constant percentage per year. If existing reserves are to never be exhausted, what annual percentage reduction in consumption is required?

2. Relevant equations
    Ʃar^n Geometric series

3. The attempt at a solution

i know that the common ratio r=1.01
    I'm just not really sure how to write a geometric series summation to fit the problem.
    I also am having a difficult time starting part B.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2013 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, the first year the consumption, call it ##C## is ##600##. Next year it is ##600(1.01)##. Next year ##600(1.01)^2## and so on. What is it in year ##n##? What is the sum of those? Where exactly are you stuck?

[Edit] Woops, I typed 600 instead of 20. Was in a hurry this morning I guess. :frown:

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  4. Nov 24, 2013 #3
    i think it's 20(1.01)^n, which is then added up with all the previous terms, and that is supposed to equal 600. I am having issues figuring out what n should be

5. Nov 24, 2013 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

First year consumption is 20 (million tons), rising by 1% each year.

6. Nov 24, 2013 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

20(1.01)n would be the consumption after n years. You're going to have to write a sum to represent the total consumption in all of the years. You can write the sum either as a summation or in expanded form.

Since you are learning about geometric series, there must be some presentation in your text about how to find the sum of a particular number of terms in a geometric series.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted