Wordle Lovers - Play the NYT Daily Game

  • Thread starter Thread starter fresh_42
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Game
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
8,778 replies · 458K views
gmax137 said:
⬛🟩⬛🟨⬛ info gathering
See, this is what you cannot do in ”hard mode” and resulted in this death sentence:
Mister T said:
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Orodruin said:
See, this is what you cannot do in ”hard mode” and reaulted in this death sentence:
In the end, it is a matter of someone's specific personal risk aversion function. E.g. I value the experience of a lost attempt (damn, I could have gotten it in less) as more negative than a lost attempt by risking it.

There is no one strategy fits all, since everybody has a different risk aversion function ##\mu(\sigma ).##
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Herman Trivilino
fresh_42 said:
In the end, it is a matter of someone's specific personal risk aversion function. E.g. I value the experience of a lost attempt (damn, I could have gotten it in less) as more negative than a lost attempt by risking it.

There is no one strategy fits all, since everybody has a different risk aversion function ##\mu(\sigma ).##
That’s fine. My beef with ”hard mode” is that it removes the choice. You cannot make the choice of risking it or not. In particular when you happen to make what should a priori be a good guess it can actually lock you into a situation where you cannot guarantee solving it even if you have 4 correct letters early on. That is what is absurd about the hard mode rules in my mind. Getting 4 correct on the opening guess should be a ”Great!”, not an ”oh crap!”
 
I self-impose hard mode rules on myself, but when I get to third guess:
AUDIO
EARTH
HATCH

and think through the possibilities:
BATCH, CATCH, LATCH, MATCH, PATCH, WATCH
then i think the "hard" thing to do is narrow those down as efficiently as possible, so my fourth guess bypasses "hard mode":
BALMY which I know is wrong, but...it leaves only one of those six choices.
 
gmax137 said:
BALMY which I know is wrong, but...it leaves only one of those six choices.
BLIMP would have been guaranteed to narrow it down to at most two CATCH/WATCH. All others would have been resolved.
 
gmax137 said:
I self-impose hard mode rules on myself, but when I get to third guess:
AUDIO
EARTH
HATCH

and think through the possibilities:
BATCH, CATCH, LATCH, MATCH, PATCH, WATCH
then i think the "hard" thing to do is narrow those down as efficiently as possible, so my fourth guess bypasses "hard mode":
BALMY which I know is wrong, but...it leaves only one of those six choices.
I don't see how it leaves one of the six choices. You have 6 words where you know the last four letters and you are looking for the first, which is different in all 6. To exclude all but one, you will have to form a valid 5-letter word using 5 of the 6 first letters in your candidate list. When they are all consonants, as in this case, it cannot be done.
 
Last edited:
kuruman said:
I don't see how it leaves one of the six choices.
You're right, but in this case it left only one - because it showed "M" to be a correct letter. As @Orodruin said above, "BLIMP" would have been a better guess (ie, more informative) than my "BALMY."
 
Wordle 979 4/6

⬛⬛⬛⬛🟨
⬛🟨⬛🟩⬛
⬛⬛🟨⬛⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Well there's a first for me. After my second guess, only 4 words remained. But apart from the yellow and green letters, every single letter in the four words was unique.
 
Orodruin said:
My beef with ”hard mode” is that it removes the choice. You cannot make the choice of risking it or not.
That's true, but I don't like to make a guess that I know is wrong. And hard mode prevents me from making stupid mistakes.
 
Mister T said:
That's true, but I don't like to make a guess that I know is wrong.
Depends on how you see it. I don’t like a rule that prevents me from making a guess that is better in terms of expected guesses to the solution.

I tend to go for lower expected guesses first and lower variance second. For example, if there are three possible words left and guessing either wont distinguish between the other two - I will go for a wrong guess that is guaranteed to resolve the degeneracy.

Mister T said:
And hard mode prevents me from making stupid mistakes.
So it should be called ”easy mode”? 😉
 
fresh_42 said:
⬜🟩⬜🟩🟩
I mean, from here it took me three ”informational guesses” to rule out everything. I was certain when I wrote the last guess, but at guess 6 it is always scary thinking you might have missed something.
 
Wordle 980 5/6

🟨⬛🟨⬛🟨
⬛🟩⬛🟩🟩
⬛🟩⬛🟩🟩
⬛⬛⬛🟨⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

According to Wordlebot, 8.3% of players ended up not solving todays puzzle.
Other nasty games where lots of people did not solve the puzzle:
795 VERVE 5.3%
730 KAZOO 5.3%
712 JAZZY 11.9%

Had I not done so well with my first guess, which left me only 14 possible solutions and a bit too much confidence, I would gotten it in 3 or 4.