Wordle Lovers - Play the NYT Daily Game

  • Thread starter Thread starter fresh_42
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Game
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
8,782 replies · 460K views
Orodruin said:
For example, if there are three possible words left and guessing either wont distinguish between the other two - I will go for a wrong guess that is guaranteed to resolve the degeneracy.
Then you'll get it in exactly two more guesses. The alternative is take a guess and you only have a 2 in 3 chance of getting it in two more guesses, but you have a 1 in 3 chance of getting it in one more guess. I prefer to play the odds.

Edit: Plus, there's a chance there are choices other than the three you think.
Orodruin said:
So it should be called ”easy mode”? 😉
For me, yes. :cool:
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Mister T said:
Then you'll get it in exactly two more guesses. The alternative is take a guess and you only have a 2 in 3 chance of getting it in two more guesses, but you have a 1 in 3 chance of getting it in one more guess. I prefer to play the odds.
That was my point. Expectation value is the same so then I minimize variance.
 
Mister T said:
Wordle 980 X/6*

⬜🟨⬜⬜🟨
⬜⬜⬜🟩🟩
⬜🟩⬜🟩🟩
⬜🟩⬜🟩🟩
⬜🟩⬜🟩🟩
⬜🟩⬜🟩🟩
Now don’t you wish you could make informational guesses? 😎

😂
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Herman Trivilino
Wordle 980 5/6

⬛⬛⬛🟨⬛ AUDIO
⬛⬛🟨⬛🟨 SHINE
⬛🟩⬛🟩🟩 MITER
🟩🟨⬛⬛⬛ PROOF
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 PIPER

After my word 3 I saw ten valid words. So I felt OK picking a test for word 4.
 
Wordle 981 3/6

🟧⬜⬜🟧⬜
⬜🟦🟦🟦⬜
🟧🟧🟧🟧🟧

Word 2 is a classic example of what @Orodruin calls informational guess. I excluded the 2 letters I already knew were there (no information here) and picked a word which gave me 4 letters that appeared more than once among the 8 remaining candidates. Word 3 was filtered as the only candidate left.
 
Last edited: