Wordle Lovers - Play the NYT Daily Game

  • Thread starter Thread starter fresh_42
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Game
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
8,778 replies · 459K views
Lucky guess, But I'll take it.

Wordle 1,493 4/6

🟩⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜🟩⬜⬜⬜
🟩🟩⬜⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
 
  • Wow
Likes   Reactions: TensorCalculus
Physics news on Phys.org
TensorCalculus said:
@sbrothy I tried hard mode and I can confirm that I hate it :D. Unfortunately it is also simultaneously a fun challenge so I shall be keeping it until I'm sick of it :-p.

After guess no.3 I just ended up trying random combinations of letters that seemed like they would make a word until something worked. No idea what it means, but to be honest half the time on wordle I end up having to search up the word afterwards so that's not unusual:

Wordle 1,493 5/6*

⬜⬜🟨⬜⬜ ADIEU
⬜🟩⬜⬜🟨 PILOT
🟩🟩⬜⬜🟩TIPSY
🟩🟩⬜⬜🟩TINNY
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩TIZZY
Ah, ADIEU. I forgot about that one. It's similar to AUREI although R is more common than D according to wiki.
 
  • Informative
Likes   Reactions: TensorCalculus
sbrothy said:
Ah, ADIEU. I forgot about that one. It's similar to AUREI although R is more common than D according to wiki.
Wait really? I didn't know that - okay I will try that tomorrow XD
 
TensorCalculus said:
@sbrothy I tried hard mode and I can confirm that I hate it :D. Unfortunately it is also simultaneously a fun challenge so I shall be keeping it until I'm sick of it :-p.

After guess no.3 I just ended up trying random combinations of letters that seemed like they would make a word until something worked. No idea what it means, but to be honest half the time on wordle I end up having to search up the word afterwards so that's not unusual:

Wordle 1,493 5/6*

⬜⬜🟨⬜⬜ ADIEU
⬜🟩⬜⬜🟨 PILOT
🟩🟩⬜⬜🟩TIPSY
🟩🟩⬜⬜🟩TINNY
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩TIZZY
Yeah, itis sometimes some surprising limitations, but they usually make sense. But those fishing expeditions don't work anymore as you have to use the found letters, and "annoyingly" those correctly placed. :woot:
 
TensorCalculus said:
Wait really? I didn't know that - okay I will try that tomorrow XD
Wiki: Letter frequency.
 
  • Love
Likes   Reactions: TensorCalculus
sbrothy said:
Yeah, itis sometimes some surprising limitations, but they usually make sense. But those fishing expeditions don't work anymore as you have to use the found letters, and "annoyingly" those correctly placed. :woot:
Its difficult but fun! :-p
sbrothy said:
Wiki: Letter frequency.
Ooooh a wiki on letter frequency!

This has maybe β€Šprobably definitely been done before but now I have access to letter frequency I sort of want to write some code to figure out the optimum wordle guesses based on what you've guessed and what yellow/green letter you have got oh and also there's different code for hard vs normal mode... shouldn't be so difficult that I struggle a ton but also not easy enough that its boring... oh and maybe I use tampermonkey so then I can also just like run the code and sit back and relax and watch it do wordle how cool would that be?

EDIT: upon more thought I have somehow only just realised that my fun idea is literally writing code to cheat for me... oh well I'll do it anyway for the fun of it, and once I'm satisfied it works I'll go back to normal wordle again :D
 
TensorCalculus said:
Its difficult but fun! :-p

Ooooh a wiki on letter frequency!

This has maybe β€Šprobably definitely been done before but now I have access to letter frequency I sort of want to write some code to figure out the optimum wordle guesses based on what you've guessed and what yellow/green letter you have got oh and also there's different code for hard vs normal mode... shouldn't be so difficult that I struggle a ton but also not easy enough that its boring... oh and maybe I use tampermonkey so then I can also just like run the code and sit back and relax and watch it do wordle how cool would that be?
"Tampermonkey"?! :woot:

Funny how I find programming, which a lot of other people find tedious, like playing with LEGO for adults. :smile:
 
TensorCalculus said:
Its difficult but fun! :-p

Ooooh a wiki on letter frequency!

This has maybe β€Šprobably definitely been done before but now I have access to letter frequency I sort of want to write some code to figure out the optimum wordle guesses based on what you've guessed and what yellow/green letter you have got oh and also there's different code for hard vs normal mode... shouldn't be so difficult that I struggle a ton but also not easy enough that its boring... oh and maybe I use tampermonkey so then I can also just like run the code and sit back and relax and watch it do wordle how cool would that be?

EDIT: upon more thought I have somehow only just realised that my fun idea is literally writing code to cheat for me... oh well I'll do it anyway for the fun of it, and once I'm satisfied it works I'll go back to normal wordle again :D
See, now you're getting into the spirit of the "game" :woot:
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: TensorCalculus
sbrothy said:
"Tampermonkey"?! :woot:

Funny how I find programming, which a lot of other people find tedious, like playing with LEGO for adults. :smile:
No LEGO is just great- I cannot imagine it losing it's charm when people become adults :D it's an experience of it's own!

Programming I feel like is like a video game - at least for me whose projects are held together with love and hope and not good programming but we will ignore that every time you fix a bug, add something new, get something working... it's sort of like completing a quest before the end goal of the journey: the final project XD
 
I feel, especially with C++, that I write a class (read: a black box with some inputs and some outputs) and there I have a LEGO piece. If I write enough of them I suddenly have something pretty complex (although not always pretty), which fits together like - yeah LEGO. Depending on what I wanted I end up with a wxWidgets app showing the Mandelbrot set, a program to cheat at Wordle, or a some GNU math thingy finding roots in 23rd degree polynomials because, yeah well... I really don't know.... :smile:

Perhaps it's Javascript THREE and a 3D website. One never knows where it ends up because I seldom have a plan. And if I've got one it's usually like a military battle plan which doesn't survive meeting the enemy - whoever that is at the moment. :woot:
 
TensorCalculus said:
This has maybe β€Šprobably definitely been done before but now I have access to letter frequency I sort of want to write some code to figure out the optimum wordle guesses based on what you've guessed and what yellow/green letter you have got oh and also there's different code for hard vs normal mode... shouldn't be so difficult that I struggle a ton but also not easy enough that its boring... oh and maybe I use tampermonkey so then I can also just like run the code and sit back and relax and watch it do wordle how cool would that be?
This is of course, how us Borgles got started.....
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: edwardII and sbrothy
OmCheeto said:
This is of course, how us Borgles got started.....
You also use that monkey thingy. I'll have to check it out cause I have no idea.
 
sbrothy said:
I feel, especially with C++, that I write a class (read: a black box with some inputs and some outputs) and there I have a LEGO piece. If I write enough of them I suddenly have something pretty complex (although not always pretty), which fits together like - yeah LEGO. Depending on what I wanted I end up with a wxWidgets app showing the Mandelbrot set, a program to cheat at Wordle, or a some GNU math thingy finding roots in 23rd degree polynomials because, yeah well... I really don't know.... :smile:

Perhaps it's Javascript THREE and a 3D website. One never knows where it ends up because I seldom have a plan. And if I've got one it's usually like a military battle plan which doesn't survive meeting the enemy - whoever that is at the moment. :woot:
Okay fair enough I see your point :D. Though I don't know C++ so I can't comment on how it feels to code in it :D
pleeease can I have that math thingy that finds the roots of 23rd degree polynomials Actually forget it that's a good enough idea that I'm adding it to the list of things I am going to code myself over the summer holidays... except I want to try 25th degree polynomials because, yeah well... I really don't know... 😝
OmCheeto said:
This is of course, how us Borgles got started.....
***proceeds to google "borgles meaning"***
 
sbrothy said:
You also use that monkey thingy. I'll have to check it out cause I have no idea.
Tampermonkey is great! It's basically a web extension that allows you to run your own scripts on websites and thus tinker with them how you'd like - adding random buttons to YouTube to do eccentric things is surprisingly fun!
 
I'm sold. I'll have to check it out.
 
  • Love
Likes   Reactions: TensorCalculus
sbrothy said:
You also use that monkey thingy. I'll have to check it out cause I have no idea.
I have no idea what a 'monkey thingy' is. Would you elaborate, please?

[edit] Never mind. Wasn't paying attention. Was busy building 'Battle Wordle Bot 3.9, extended version 7.6'
 
Last edited:
  • Like
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: sbrothy and TensorCalculus
sbrothy said:
#include <gsl/gsl_poly.h>
#include <gsl/gsl_errno.h>

By all means poly it up!

Documentation
Time to learn C++
I have a feeling that installing/setting it up will end up being more difficult than the actual learning basic syntax bit

A nice word today! Tried the word @sbrothy suggested and it worked like a charm. Still on hard mode! Maybe I got a bit lucky with my second guess haha.

Wordle 1,494 3/6*

⬜🟩🟩⬜⬜ AUREI
🟩🟩🟩⬜🟩 BURST
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 BURNT
 
TensorCalculus said:
Time to learn C++
I have a feeling that installing/setting it up will end up being more difficult than the actual learning basic syntax bit

A nice word today! Tried the word @sbrothy suggested and it worked like a charm. Still on hard mode! Maybe I got a bit lucky with my second guess haha.

Wordle 1,494 3/6*

⬜🟩🟩⬜⬜ AUREI
🟩🟩🟩⬜🟩 BURST
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 BURNT
why did you have to spoil
 
No cheating of any kind but I think it went pretty well (Had I consulted the letter frequency table before the second guess I might have gotten it in 2, ah well.):

Wordle 1,494 3/6*

β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ©β¬›β¬›
πŸŸ©πŸŸ©πŸŸ©β¬›πŸŸ©
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Screenshot from 2025-07-22 17-23-44.webp
 
TensorCalculus said:
Time to learn C++
I have a feeling that installing/setting it up will end up being more difficult than the actual learning basic syntax bit

A nice word today! Tried the word @sbrothy suggested and it worked like a charm. Still on hard mode! Maybe I got a bit lucky with my second guess haha.

Wordle 1,494 3/6*

⬜🟩🟩⬜⬜ AUREI
🟩🟩🟩⬜🟩 BURST
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 BURNT

Funny how we agreed on that but we were probably not the only ones.
 
Beyond3D said:
why did you have to spoil
I liked the wrong post. I don't really understand what you're trying to say here....
 
TensorCalculus said:
Time to learn C++
I have a feeling that installing/setting it up will end up being more difficult than the actual learning basic syntax bit
[...]

I fear you're right. Especially without a lot of POSIX experience...
 
Beyond3D said:
why did you have to spoil
What do you mean? I purposely put all of my guesses as spoilers so that they were blurred out so if you don't want spoilers, then don't click on the spoiler.
sbrothy said:
I fear you're right. Especially without a lot of POSIX experience...
I don't have admin rights either
This is going to be a long ride...
 
Can't you ask your admin to install this library in your favorite language (if you have one)? I suspect it's available in other languages as well, but I'm not sure.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: TensorCalculus
At this point I still had about 12 possible words that fit. Lucky guess.

Wordle 1,494 2/6

🟨⬜🟩⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
 
  • Wow
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: OmCheeto, sbrothy and TensorCalculus
sbrothy said:
Can't you ask your admin to install this library in your favorite language (if you have one)? I suspect it's available in other languages as well, but I'm not sure.
I'll see if I can get it in python (call me basic, but my favourite language is indeed python)
dwarde said:
At this point I still had about 12 possible words that fit. Lucky guess.

Wordle 1,494 2/6

🟨⬜🟩⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
HUH
 
TensorCalculus said:
I'll see if I can get it in python (call me basic, but my favourite language is indeed python)

HUH
Lot's of people seem to like python. I'm sure I too would take a shine to it if I started using it.

I had this predujice that it was like ruby. Meant for gluing programs in other languages together. But ruby may be obsolete. I really dunno.
 
sbrothy said:
Lot's of people seem to like python. I'm sure I too would take a shine to it if I started using it.

I had this predujice that it was like ruby. Meant for gluing programs in other languages together. But ruby may be obsolete. I really dunno.
I love python. But then at the same time, I don't know enough programming languages to be able to compare it to much. It was my first ever programming language and I use it for almost everything (except web dev because... flask is a nightmare)

I have a friend who did 400 or so hours of coding in Ruby for a coding challenge thing. I know nothing about the language but it's been rumoured to be hard to debug.