Wordle Lovers - Play the NYT Daily Game

  • Thread starter Thread starter fresh_42
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Game
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
8,778 replies · 459K views
dwarde said:
At this point I still had about 12 possible words that fit. Lucky guess.

Wordle 1,494 2/6

🟨⬜🟩⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
One of the delightful things to do in this game is analysing other peoples plays.
While I show 18 possible first guesses, my guess as to your first guess is NERDY. :oldbiggrin:
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: TensorCalculus and edwardII
Physics news on Phys.org
OmCheeto said:
One of the delightful things to do in this game is analysing other peoples plays.
While I show 18 possible first guesses, my guess as to your first guess is NERDY. :oldbiggrin:
I am using a seed first word recommended by MIT about six months ago
tarse
. They have changed to
salet
but I am too old to change.:oldbiggrin::oldbiggrin:
 
AAAAAAH- such an easy word as well!

Wordle 1,495 X/6*

🟨⬜🟨🟩⬜AUREI
🟨🟩⬜🟩⬜RACED
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩SATER
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩LATER
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩GATER
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩HATER
 
I cursorily* consulted the letter frequency table but it didn't really help much. Should have gone with my intuition:

Wordle 1,495 4/6*

🟨⬛🟨🟩⬛
🟨🟩🟩🟩⬛
⬛🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Screenshot from 2025-07-23 14-39-20.webp


*A weird word use to use I know. Dunno where it came from. Hastily would have been better I think. Though not much.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: TensorCalculus
Wordle 1,495 3/6

🟨🟩⬛🟩🟩 TAMER 3
🟩⬛⬛🟩⬛ WHEEL 1
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

I was a sissy and went for the guaranteed win in 3.
 
  • Like
  • Wow
Likes   Reactions: edwardII, sbrothy and TensorCalculus
sbrothy said:
I cursorily* [..]
*A weird word use to use I know. Dunno where it came from. Hastily would have been better I think. Though not much.
A weird word indeed. Never heard of it, but it has been added to my vocabulary :)
OmCheeto said:
Wordle 1,495 3/6

🟨🟩⬛🟩🟩 TAMER 3
🟩⬛⬛🟩⬛ WHEEL 1
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

I was a sissy and went for the guaranteed win in 3.
👀 !!!
 
dwarde said:
I am using a seed first word recommended by MIT about six months ago
tarse
. They have changed to
salet
but I am too old to change.:oldbiggrin::oldbiggrin:
Fascinating.
I wasn't familiar with any MIT research on the subject until you mentioned it.
I just googled and ran across this paper:
An Exact and Interpretable Solution to Wordle
Published Online: 13 Feb 2024

1. Introduction
Over the past year, the explosive popularity of Wordle has attracted the efforts of many to solve the game using a variety of methods: from Reinforcement Learning to custom mathematical frameworks,such as in [Anderson and Meyer (2022)] and [Katz and Conlen (2022)]. Yet at the same time lack of consensus on the “best” policies produced by these methods prompts interest in a framework that produces a certifiably optimal strategy. This lack of consensus has one main source: approaches to solving Wordle have always contained some degree of approximation due the computational difficulties of the task – which Lokshtanov and Subercaseaux (2022) show is NP-Hard. Ultimately, this approximation breaks any guarantee of optimality.
...

No idea what 'NP-Hard' means, but when I think about how to describe how computationally difficult Wordle is, to newbs, my brain starts to short circuit, so I don't.

BTW, your current seed doesn't show up in my long list of words. Did you mistype that?
[edit: never mind. I found a new list that includes it. I also found a list with 715 new legitimate answers. Not sure where they got the information, but I downloaded the information just in case. It includes a slew of past tense 'xxxED' words, which I have NOT seen an increase of activity recently.]

I'm currently using a rotating list of 25 seed words. This makes it, I'm hoping, nearly impossible for others to subconsciously guess my seed word.
[edit 2: Updated seed word list with my top 20 rated words, excluding the above mentioned past tensers]
 
Last edited:
  • Informative
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: TensorCalculus, edwardII and sbrothy
OmCheeto said:
I'm currently using a rotating list of 25 seed words. This makes it, I'm hoping, nearly impossible for others to subconsciously guess my seed word.
For instance, If I knew someones seed word was ARISE and I saw 🟨🟩⬛🟩🟩 then I'd instantly know the solution was ERASE.

hmmm... Curious. Does anyone else avoid looking at other peoples plays before playing?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: sbrothy and TensorCalculus
OmCheeto said:
No idea what 'NP-Hard' means, but when I think about how to describe how computationally difficult Wordle is, to newbs, my brain starts to short circuit, so I don't.
Wait- it's actually NP-Hard? Really?! Oh gods.

It is a term to describe how computationally difficult the problem is, yes. It means that while you can quickly verify the correct answer (the code will have a polynomial time complexity, like O(##n^2##) or something) we haven't found a way to solve it in polynomial time (so the time complexity of the code might be something like O(##2^n##) instead). NP-hard means that it's definitely harder than all of the hardest NP problems (i.e. if it's possible to solve an NP-hard problem in polynomial time, then you can solve any NP problem in polynomial time)
 
OmCheeto said:
For instance, If I knew someones seed word was ARISE and I saw 🟨🟩⬛🟩🟩 then I'd instantly know the solution was ERASE.

hmmm... Curious. Does anyone else avoid looking at other peoples plays before playing?
I probably should start doing that (not looking at other people's plays before playing). I never click on the spoilers to see the words they used, but now I know some people's seed words...
 
OmCheeto said:
[...]
No idea what 'NP-Hard' means, but when I think about how to describe how computationally difficult Wordle is, to newbs, my brain starts to short circuit, so I don't.
[...]

It basically just means so hard

Indeed:

Correct me if I'm wrong but (and I hate to link to wiki, but it's the best explanation of polynomial time for a layman (such as me) I could find):

An algorithm is said to be of polynomial time if its running time is upper bounded by a polynomial expression in the size of the input for the algorithm, that is, T(n) = O(nk) for some positive constant k.[1][13] Problems for which a deterministic polynomial-time algorithm exists belong to the complexity class P, which is central in the field of computational complexity theory. Cobham's thesis states that polynomial time is a synonym for "tractable", "feasible", "efficient", or "fast".[14]

-- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_complexity#Polynomial_time

Thus, NP-Hard problems is those that are intractable, unfeasible, inefficient and slow. In technical terms having a polynomial-time reduction. The halting problem is a much used example I think.

OmCheeto said:
hmmm... Curious. Does anyone else avoid looking at other peoples plays before playing?

Indeed. That's why we generally try to hide our guesses and solutions behind SPOILER tags so you wont accidentally see them.
 
  • Informative
Likes   Reactions: TensorCalculus
I obviously choose to avoid the obvious. o0)

Wordle 1,495 5/6

🟨🟩🟨⬜🟨
🟨🟩🟨🟨⬜
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
 
  • Like
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: sbrothy, OmCheeto and TensorCalculus
sbrothy said:
It basically just means so hard

Indeed:

Correct me if I'm wrong but (and I hate to link to wiki, but it's the best explanation of polynomial time for a layman (such as me) I could find):

An algorithm is said to be of polynomial time if its running time is upper bounded by a polynomial expression in the size of the input for the algorithm, that is, T(n) = O(nk) for some positive constant k.[1][13] Problems for which a deterministic polynomial-time algorithm exists belong to the complexity class P, which is central in the field of computational complexity theory. Cobham's thesis states that polynomial time is a synonym for "tractable", "feasible", "efficient", or "fast".[14]

-- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_complexity#Polynomial_time

Thus, NP-Hard problems is those that are untractable, unfeasible, inefficient and slow. In technical terms having a polynomial-time reduction. The halting problem is a much used example I think.
I've got to give it to you: that's a pretty good way of summing it up!
dwarde said:
I obviously choose to avoid the obvious. o0)

Wordle 1,495 5/6

🟨🟩🟨⬜🟨
🟨🟩🟨🟨⬜
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
eh... wasn't as bad as mine
 
Wordle 1,496 3/6

⬛⬛🟩⬛🟩 ORATE 14
⬛⬛🟩⬛🟨 PLACK 1
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: sbrothy and TensorCalculus
Different root word today - picked a random word but I think it messed up the rest of my guesses

Wordle 1,496 5/6*

⬜⬜⬜🟨⬜ CLOUD
⬜🟩⬜⬜⬜ MUSTY
⬜🟩⬜🟨⬜ HUGER
🟩🟩⬜⬜🟩 QUEUE
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 QUAKE
 
It’s a tricky one today. I appreciate the ISPOILER tags as this site was accidentally open and would have ruined my chances of doing it myself. I’m gonna take my sweet time with this one…
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: TensorCalculus
Turned (turns?) out there wasn’t (weren't?) exactly an abundance of choices (picture when I get home).

(EDITED by grammar-nazi #1.)

Wordle 1.496 4/6*

🟨🟩⬛🟨⬛
⬛🟩🟩⬛🟩
🟩🟩🟩⬛🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Screenshot from 2025-07-24 12-36-57.webp
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: TensorCalculus
I made several really dumb guesses o0)

Wordle 1,496 6/6

⬜🟨⬜⬜🟩
🟨⬜⬜⬜🟩
⬜⬜🟩⬜🟩
⬜⬜🟩⬜🟩
🟨⬜🟩⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: TensorCalculus
As I begin my wordle cheater pursuits, I am slowly coming to the realisation of just how difficult this is going to be...
 
TensorCalculus said:
As I begin my wordle cheater pursuits, I am slowly coming to the realisation of just how difficult this is going to be...
To be brutally honest I find it easiest when I'm not cheating. :woot:
 
sbrothy said:
To be brutally honest I find it easiest when I'm not cheating. :woot:
Not cheating is the easy route but I want to make a cheater bot for the fun of it haha :D

But actually using the cheater bot... that would ruin my own daily fun when I try and do wordle. Thus I would have to do the daily wordle and then use the cheater bot after (just for the satisfaction of watching it work)
Or debug the bot on one of those wordle unlimited things. That might be a better idea.
 
Wordle 1,497 4/6

⬛⬛⬛🟩🟩 ALDER 47
🟨⬛⬛⬛⬛ OBITS 6
🟩🟨⬛⬛⬛ GRAMP 1 left: Hybrid Orod/Om method.
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Another tough one.
Global mean: 5.159
14.4% of global players did not solve this.
Even Wordlebot only got it after 6 guesses. According to my records, this is only the second time that's happened.

I do not recall ever seeing the solution word before in my life.
 
  • Like
  • Informative
Likes   Reactions: edwardII and TensorCalculus
Ouch. Picture later….

Wordle 1.497 X/6*

⬛⬛🟨🟩⬛
⬛🟩⬛🟩🟩
⬛🟩⬛🟩🟩
⬛🟩⬛🟩🟩
⬛🟩⬛🟩🟩
⬛🟩⬛🟩🟩
 
  • Sad
Likes   Reactions: TensorCalculus
TensorCalculus said:
Not cheating is the easy route but I want to make a cheater bot for the fun of it haha :D
[…]

That was also my motivation. But writing it was more fun that actually using it.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: TensorCalculus
sbrothy said:
Ouch. Picture later….

Wordle 1.497 X/6*

⬛⬛🟨🟩⬛
⬛🟩⬛🟩🟩
⬛🟩⬛🟩🟩
⬛🟩⬛🟩🟩
⬛🟩⬛🟩🟩
⬛🟩⬛🟩🟩
Aaah - same:

Wordle 1,497 X/6*

⬜⬜🟨🟩⬜ AUREI
🟨🟩⬜🟩⬜ ROPED
⬜🟩⬜🟩🟩 NOSER
⬜🟩⬜🟩🟩 HOMER
⬜🟩⬜🟩🟩 BOXER
⬜🟩⬜🟩🟩 LOVER

sbrothy said:
That was also my motivation. But writing it was more fun that actually using it.
I can imagine it will be XD
 
It will be interesting when the NYT unleashes the ' paste tense 'xxxED' ' flood.
Guessing the 'hard mode' players will be kind of silent. As damn, that's a no win scenario.


Pattern

original unplayed

added unplayed

played

total

highest scorers

02022

0

71

0

71

*A*ED

02022

0

57

0

57

*O*ED

02022

0

49

0

49

*I*ED

02022

16

15

15

46

*A*ER

02022

10

16

14

40

*I*ER

02022

6

9

20

35

*O*ER

00222

10

5

13

28

**ING

20202

2

3

22

27

S*A*E

00222

3

9

13

25

**TER

00222

10

2

12

24

**LLY

20022

3

19

0

22

C**ED

00222

0

22

0

22

**KED

00222

0

22

0

22

**RED

02202

6

8

7

21

*OO*Y

02202

6

1

14

21

*RA*E

00222

0

21

0

21

**TED

22200

4

1

15

20

STA**

02220

4

9

7

20

*OWE*

20220

3

3

13

19

S*AR*

02022

1

18

0

19

*U*ED

00222

3

8

8

19

**DER

00222

0

19

0

19

**PED

00222

7

0

11

18

**TCH

02022

4

10

3

17

*O*EY

02022

4

3

10

17

*O*SE

00222

1

16

0

17

**LED

00222

0

17

0

17

**NED

00222

9

3

5

17

**TTY

00222

6

3

8

17

**VER

22020

2

9

5

16

CO*E*

22002

3

8

3

14

HO**Y
 
  • Informative
Likes   Reactions: TensorCalculus
Good grief I had to consult the scrabble dictionary for this one.

Wordle 1,497 6/6

⬜⬜🟨⬜🟨
⬜⬜🟨⬜⬜
🟨🟩⬜🟩⬜
⬜🟩🟨🟩⬜
🟨🟩⬜🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
 
OK, I started cheating a little after 3rd guess. I wasn't impressed by wcheat's suggestion for the 4th guess so I returned to intuition and voila!:

Wordle 1,498 5/6*

⬛⬛🟨⬛🟩
⬛🟩⬛⬛🟩
⬛🟩⬛⬛🟩
⬛🟩⬛🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Screenshot from 2025-07-26 00-57-14.webp
 
OmCheeto said:
It will be interesting when the NYT unleashes the ' paste tense 'xxxED' ' flood.
Guessing the 'hard mode' players will be kind of silent. As damn, that's a no win scenario.


Pattern

original unplayed

added unplayed

played

total

highest scorers

02022

0

71

0

71

*A*ED

02022

0

57

0

57

*O*ED

02022

0

49

0

49

*I*ED

02022

16

15

15

46

*A*ER

02022

10

16

14

40

*I*ER

02022

6

9

20

35

*O*ER

00222

10

5

13

28

**ING

20202

2

3

22

27

S*A*E

00222

3

9

13

25

**TER

00222

10

2

12

24

**LLY

20022

3

19

0

22

C**ED

00222

0

22

0

22

**KED

00222

0

22

0

22

**RED

02202

6

8

7

21

*OO*Y

02202

6

1

14

21

*RA*E

00222

0

21

0

21

**TED

22200

4

1

15

20

STA**

02220

4

9

7

20

*OWE*

20220

3

3

13

19

S*AR*

02022

1

18

0

19

*U*ED

00222

3

8

8

19

**DER

00222

0

19

0

19

**PED

00222

7

0

11

18

**TCH

02022

4

10

3

17

*O*EY

02022

4

3

10

17

*O*SE

00222

1

16

0

17

**LED

00222

0

17

0

17

**NED

00222

9

3

5

17

**TTY

00222

6

3

8

17

**VER

22020

2

9

5

16

CO*E*

22002

3

8

3

14

HO**Y

I (also) vote for this post (perhaps the entire thread) to be admitted as a runner-up for the (as yet non-existing) award: “Most Gratuitously Geeky Thread of the Year”! :smile:

I think the site needs such a tongue-in-cheek award. :woot:
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: TensorCalculus and OmCheeto
sbrothy said:
I (also) vote for this post (perhaps the entire thread) to be admitted as a runner-up for the (as yet non-existing) award: “Most Gratuitously Geeky Thread of the Year”! :smile:

I think the site needs such a tongue-in-cheek award. :woot:
I'm both retired, and single. I can't think of anything better to do than be geeky, thank you very much.

Though, I do prefer 'nerdy'.
'Geeky' always struck me as someone with only one interest. I have many interests.
Though, wait a minute...
No. I still socialize with my friends, garden, plan on going to the 'Saturday Market' tomorrow, along with picking blueberries at a nearby farm.
Though......
hmmm....
You may be correct.
:blushing: