Wordle Lovers - Play the NYT Daily Game

  • Thread starter Thread starter fresh_42
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Game
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
8,778 replies · 457K views
Physics news on Phys.org
sbrothy said:
Do you people keep track of the words that have been used?

Edit: I seem to remember an earlier post discussing this. (Trying to assess your geek-level here. What I'm "up against" :)
I don't, but I use a spreadsheet to facilitate my searches. Does that elevate me to geekhood?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: sbrothy and scottdave
sbrothy said:
Do you people keep track of the words that have been used?

Edit: I seem to remember an earlier post discussing this. (Trying to assess your geek-level here. What I'm "up against" :)
I only use my mind to remember, a dictionary that makes suggestions in case of spelling errors. So I type in phantasy words to retrieve suggestions. But it only works well if the first three letters are known. And then I use
https://elsenaju.eu/Calculator/online-curve-fit.htm
for the statistics.
 
Wordle 658 4/6

⬜⬜🟩⬜⬜
🟨⬜🟩🟨⬜
⬜⬜⬜🟨🟩 < a test word to pick among 4 possibilities
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

sbrothy said:
Do you people keep track of the words that have been used?

No, I do not.

kuruman said:
I don't, but I use a spreadsheet to facilitate my searches. Does that elevate me to geekhood?

I do this sometimes. I did in this puzzle (#658) because the "Axy_x, Bxy_x, Cxy_x,... " just wasn't working for me.
 
fresh_42 said:
I only use my mind to remember, a dictionary that makes suggestions in case of spelling errors. So I type in phantasy words to retrieve suggestions. But it only works well if the first three letters are known. And then I use
https://elsenaju.eu/Calculator/online-curve-fit.htm
for the statistics.
Ok. So I'm definitely out of both my comfort zone and my league. "Regression Calculator" indeed! I dunno where to rate you on the "geek scale. What even are the units? With evil it's "kilonazis", with beauty it's "milli-Helen" (after Helen Of Troy), what's the worlds biggest geek?

Some candidates are

Carl Friedrich Gauss
Leonhard Euler
Nikola Tesla

I guess Magnus Carlsen qualifies too.
Both mili-Gauss and milli-Tesla has a certain ring to them, although Tesla is already used for strength of magnet fields no?

Incidentally, I have a friend (lets call him Carl) who's always really intoxicated. So I joke that intoxication should be measured in Carls. He can reach one full Carl. I could maybe reach 200 milli-Carls.

It really annoys him. :)
 
Last edited:
scottdave said:
Wordle 659 3/6

🟨🟨⬜⬜⬜
🟩⬜🟩🟨⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 <- another word that was not in my list.

Luckily it's one I'm familiar with.
Well who isn't. Another military code is Mike Charlie Foxtrot for "massive clusterf.ck". :)

But well played.
 
kuruman said:
I don't, but I use a spreadsheet to facilitate my searches. Does that elevate me to geekhood?

I'm afraid so. I think using a spreadsheet for playing wordgames qualifies. :P

Had you been using PLSQL you would've been off the scale completely. I would have named it after you :)
 
Last edited:
Wordle 659 3/6

🟨⬜⬜⬜🟩
⬜🟨⬜⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

A word I've never encountered before. I needed internet assistance to find it.
 
sbrothy said:
Had you been using PLSQL you would've been off the scale completely. I would have named it after you :)
I didn't know what PLSQL was until I googled it so I guess I'm safe.
 
Wordle 659 5/6

πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›
πŸŸ©β¬›πŸŸ©β¬›β¬›
πŸŸ©β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ¨β¬›
πŸŸ©β¬›πŸŸ©β¬›πŸŸ¨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

scottdave said:
<- another word that was not in my list.

Luckily it's one I'm familiar with.
Me too, on both counts. I was surprised to see it in Merriam-Webster's dictionary.
 
sbrothy said:
Ok. So I'm definitely out of both my comfort zone and my league. "Regression Calculator" indeed! I dunno where to rate you on the "geek scale. What even are the units? With evil it's "kilonazis", with beauty it's "milli-Helen" (after Helen Of Troy), what's the worlds biggest geek?

Some candidates are

Carl Friedrich Gauss
Leonhard Euler
Nikola Tesla

I guess Magnus Carlsen qualifies too.
Both mili-Gauss and milli-Tesla has a certain ring to them, although Tesla is already used for strength of magnet fields no?

Incidentally, I have a friend (lets call him Carl) who's always really intoxicated. So I joke that intoxication should be measured in Carls. He can reach one full Carl. I could maybe reach 200 milli-Carls.

It really annoys him. :)
Gauss is already used as well.
 
Wordle 660 2/6

⬜🟨🟩⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩Weeee.So it actually helped waiting til next day. Concentration was much better.
 
Last edited:
scottdave said:
Wordle 660 3/6

⬜🟨⬜⬜⬜
🟨🟨⬜🟨⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
So you found it quickly too? Wp.
 
fresh_42 said:
I definitely underperformed. :cool:
Well as I'm not a native speaker, yes. Yes you did. ;)

But a little luck sometimes goes a long way.
 
sbrothy said:
Well as I'm not a native speaker, yes. Yes you did. ;)

But a little luck sometimes goes a long way.
BTW when talking about luck here I meant of course that I got lucky. Not you. Just wanted that to be crystal clear! :)

I may be playing a little smart but I'm not out to offend.