Wordle Lovers - Play the NYT Daily Game

  • Thread starter Thread starter fresh_42
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Game
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
8,778 replies · 458K views
fresh_42 said:
With 6 letters and a double?
Haha duh! Dunno what I was thinking there. Little too good to be true. I mostly use AUDIO and AUREI.

Started with CHOMP today,
 
Physics news on Phys.org
scottdave said:
Wordle 652 4/6

⬜⬜⬜🟨🟨
⬜⬜⬜⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

I should pay closer attention to letters that have already been eliminated.
Tu quoque, Scottdave!
 
That was definitely more a domino puzzle tonight than a word riddle:
(the three yellow letters kept to be yellow in the second and the third attempt)

Wordle 653 4/6

🟨⬜🟨🟨⬜
⬜🟨🟨⬜🟨
🟨🟨⬜🟨🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
 
fresh_42 said:
That was definitely more a domino puzzle tonight than a word riddle:
(the three yellow letters kept to be yellow in the second and the third attempt)

Wordle 653 4/6

🟨⬜🟨🟨⬜
⬜🟨🟨⬜🟨
🟨🟨⬜🟨🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
Looks more like a dominos pizza nightmare to me.
Look at all that pineapple!
 
fresh_42 said:
I like pineapple on pizzas!
With a green algae crust?
 
Wordle 653 3/6

🟩🟨⬛🟩⬛
🟩🟩🟨🟩⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Grrrrrr..... Even though my first guess yielded only two possible solutions, none of the pineapple pizza topping clues helped me figure out which one it was.
 
sbrothy said:
How about banana?

Yes, I kid you not.
No. The point about pineapple is not that it is a fruit, which by the way are tomatoes, too. The point is the liquid it brings to otherwise pretty dry food. And the sweetness doesn't disturb me. I order duck sweet-sour at the Chinese restaurant, too.
 
Wordle 654 3/6

🟨⬜⬜🟩🟩
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Lucky choice of one of my "standard" first words, followed by unlucky choice between two possibilities. I consider "3" a good result but a "2" is outstanding. I don't know how anyone can score a "1"

EDIT - looks like @scottdave and I are on the same track with this one
🟨⬜⬜🟩🟩
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩 <-- Almost!
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
 
gmax137 said:
Wordle 654 3/6

🟨⬜⬜🟩🟩
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Lucky choice of one of my "standard" first words, followed by unlucky choice between two possibilities. I consider "3" a good result but a "2" is outstanding. I don't know how anyone can score a "1"

EDIT - looks like @scottdave and I are on the same track with this one
I'd consider a "1", as you call it, blind luck. Like a hole in one playing golf. Not really something to be proud of.

2 though. Those really do happen.
 
gmax137 said:
... I don't know how anyone can score a "1"
...
You just have to pick seed words that are unplayed solutions and wait. The odds now are 1656:1.
I'm sure a lot of people got it in 1 the day SLATE was the solution.
Those playing ADIEU will never get it in one, unless its added to the valid solution list, if it hasn't been already.

This game just happened to be one where a lot of people got lucky, as 1% of todays players got it on the first try.

It looks as though 40% of the all players use just these 20 words every day.

Wordle 654 first guess. 2023-04-04 at 09.56.25.png
 
OmCheeto said:
You just have to pick seed words that are unplayed solutions and wait. The odds now are 1656:1
Is there a list of the played/unplayed solutions?

At 1656, does that mean the Worlde ends in 4 1/2 years? :wink:
 
OmCheeto said:
I'm sure a lot of people got it in 1 the day SLATE was the solution.
Yup, I was one of them. See post #947 on page 28 of this thread. Although it already came around for me, I did not abandon it as seed. That's because I have developed a list of contingency second entries depending on the response to the seed. I chose the second entries to maximize the exclusion of words from the list that survived the first filter.

For example, if the seed SLATE yields no letter hits of either kind, then CRONY leaves only 4 words out of 2300 that have none of the first 10 letters entered. These are HUMID, HUMPH, VIVID and WHIFF. If one chooses HUMID as the third entry, the probability of getting the solution in 3 is 0.25 and the probability of getting it in 4 is 1. Of course, if none of the 4 words is the solution, there will be letter hits, the more the merrier.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: scottdave and OmCheeto