1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work done by a harmonic oscillator

1. Oct 13, 2007 #1
    In the case of an undamped oscillator, the work done by the system is written as ( assume initial position is 0 ) :

[tex] W = - \Delta U = - K \frac{x^2}{2} [/tex]

But to verify this , we must assume that the force acting on the oscillator is constant , which is not true as F = f(x) according to hook's law.

To find an expression for the work done by the system I start with :

[tex] dW = Cos(F,x) \ d(Fx) = d(Fx) = -K d(x^2) [/tex]

then it follows that

[tex] W = - K x^2 [/tex]

Ofcourse this eq must be wrong , but I wonder why. Why should the force of the spring be constant ?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2007 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

The force of the spring isn't constant:

[tex]dW = Fdx = kx dx[/tex]

Integrate that and you'll get the correct answer.
  4. Oct 14, 2007 #3
    When you write dW=Fdx you already assume the force is constant . Otherwise , why would F be outside the differential ? We should write dW = d(Fx) keeping F inside the differential as it is not a constant. dW = Fdx is correct only when F = constant. True ?

Notice , when calculating the work done by an electron in a battery , we write dW = d(Fx) = d(qEx) = Vdq assuming the potential difference V = const while q is a variable. ( In this case F is not constant ). Had we writen directly dW = Fdx , we would not obtain the correct expression. It is not necessary that dW = Fdx always holds true, it depends on the situation.

I hope you got my point.
  5. Oct 14, 2007 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

No, not true. The differential element of work is dW = Fdx, not dW = d(Fx). (What does dF even mean? A small change in F?) Work is Force times distance; we need to add up (integrate) all the contributions of Force*dx over the variable x. Whether F is constant or not is a different story: if F is constant, then you can take it out of the integral. In this case F is a function of x, so dW = Fdx = kx dx:

[tex]W = \int F(x) dx \neq F(x) \int dx[/tex]

[tex]W = \int F(x) dx = \int k x dx = 1/2 kx^2[/tex]

Again, incorrect. dW = F dx is always true--it's the basic definition of work. In the case where force is constant (and in the same direction as displacement):

[tex]W = \int F dx = F \int dx = Fx[/tex]
  6. Oct 14, 2007 #5
    Thanks , I think it makes much more sense now.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?