Work done by stretching a STring

In summary, Nick is looking for an equation to find the work done on a steel string that is stretched L meters. He is considering using elastic potential and has the area and modulus of elasticity, but is unsure of which equation to use. The elastic modulus, Y, has units of N/m^2 and k should have units of N/m.
nickclarson
I have been looking all over for an equation to find the work done on a steel string that is stretched L meters.

"Find the work needed to stretch the string."

I know it has variable forces so I was thinking I could use elastic potential

[tex]U=\frac{kx^{2}}_{2}[/tex]

but now I have the problem finding out what K is.

ANY help is appreciated thanks.

Nick

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this a homework problem? That can't be the full question. You've got the right idea if the steel wire can be considered as a spring. You'll need a modulus of elasticity and the geometry of the wire to actually do this.

yea I have the area of the wire and the modulus... I just need help figuring out which equation to use.

Thanks,
Nick

Didn't they give you a formula for that as well? The elastic modulus Y, has units of N/m^2, yes? k should have units of N/m. So I would guess on purely dimensional grounds that if L is length and A is cross sectional area that k=Y*A/L. Can you confirm that by doing some research? Units are your friend. Exploit them.

1. What is the definition of work done by stretching a string?

Work done by stretching a string refers to the amount of energy required to stretch a string from its original length to a new length.

2. How is work done by stretching a string calculated?

The work done by stretching a string can be calculated by multiplying the force applied to the string by the distance the string is stretched. Mathematically, it can be represented as W = F*d, where W is the work done, F is the force, and d is the distance.

3. What factors affect the amount of work done by stretching a string?

The amount of work done by stretching a string depends on the initial length of the string, the amount of force applied, and the distance the string is stretched. Additionally, the material and properties of the string, such as elasticity, also play a role in determining the work done.

4. Can work done by stretching a string be negative?

Yes, the work done by stretching a string can be negative if the string is stretched in the opposite direction of the applied force. This means that the energy required to stretch the string is being released, resulting in a negative value for work done.

5. What is the significance of work done by stretching a string in physics?

The concept of work done by stretching a string is important in physics as it helps us understand the relationship between force, energy, and distance. It also applies to various real-life scenarios, such as the stretching of a rubber band or the tension in a guitar string.