1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work done by vector field on straight path

1. May 4, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

4sn1hs.png

2. Relevant equations

W= ∫F.dr

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm fairly sure I've done the right thing, however my lecturer hasn't uploaded any solutions to any of these problems (which is ridiculous - how am I supposed to learn if I don't know when I'm right or wrong?!) So I'm putting it over to physics forums for some general opinion on my answer.

The path between (1,4,2) and (0,5,1) is a simple move of (-1,-1,-1),

This parameterises to a move of (-t,-t,-t) for 0<t<1

and means x= -t, y= -t, z= -t

so dr = (-t,-t,-t) = (-1,-1,-1)dt

and F = (x, 3xy, -(x+z)) = (-t, 3t2, 2t)

Which gives ∫F.dr = (-t, 3t2, 2t )(-1,-1,-1)dt

= ∫ (t -3t2 - 2t) dt

= [t2/2 - t3 - t2] , 0<t<1

= -3/2 units of work

So am I right? Or mostly right? Or mostly wrong? Or totally wrong?

Thanks a lot!

2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2014 #2

pasmith

Homework Helper

No. The path in the question is a straight line from (1,4,2) to (0,5,1). The path (-t,-t,-t) with [itex]0 \leq t \leq 1[/itex] is a straight line from (0,0,0) to (-1,-1,-1).

You can always parametrize the straight line between [itex]\mathbf{a}[/itex] and [itex]\mathbf{b}[/itex] as [itex]\mathbf{r}(t) = \mathbf{a} + (\mathbf{b} - \mathbf{a})t[/itex] for [itex]0 \leq t \leq 1[/itex].

4. May 4, 2014 #3

Hmm I think my method of parameterisation worked?

I actually made a mistake in the straight line. It's not (-1,-1,-1), it's (-1, 1,-1).

However, even in the form r(t) = a+(b-a)t, I still get dr=(-1, 1,-1)dt, just as I had before (apart from the sign error for one of the terms).

So I presume the part I'm wrong with is the bit where I suggested x=-t, y=-t, z=-t ?

I need to be able to set the the vector F so it's represented by the parameter t, so F[x(t),y(t),z(t)].

So then I can do the dot product F.dr = F(t).r(t)dt to bring out an integral purely in t.

How would I do that? I think my main problem now is giving F in terms of t.

Thanks

5. May 4, 2014 #4

pasmith

Homework Helper

That is indeed [itex]\dfrac{d\mathbf{r}}{dt}[/itex]. What's [itex]\mathbf{r}(t)[/itex]?

Having found [itex]\mathbf{r}(t)[/itex], and my previous post tells you all you need to find it, you substitute it into the given expression for [itex]\mathbf{F}(\mathbf{r})[/itex] in order to calculate [itex]\mathbf{F}(\mathbf{r}(t)) \cdot \dfrac{d\mathbf{r}}{dt}[/itex], which is the function you need to be integrating with respect to [itex]t[/itex] from 0 to 1.

6. May 4, 2014 #5
    Aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh.

From r(t) I get:

x= 1-t
    y= 4+t
    z= 2-t

So then I have

F[r(t)].(dr/dt)dt

= (x, 3xy, -(x+z).(-1, 1,-1)dt

= (1-t, 3(1-t)(4+t), 2t-3).(-1,1,-1)dt

= -3t2-10t+13

Then do the integral between 0<t<1

Final answer of 8.

Fantastic. My stumbling point was parameterisation of F(x,y,z) and now I understand. Thank you very much!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted