Work Done on Charges by a Capacitor and an Inductor

In summary, the inductor does negative work on the charges via the electric field (by way of induced EMF). The capacitor does positive work on the charges by using its stored energy to give energy to the charges, causing them to move in the same direction as the force exerted by the capacitor plates. Later, when the emf from the inductor pushes the electrons in the opposite direction, the capacitor does negative work on the electrons as they move towards the negative plate.
rugerts

Homework Statement

IMG-1188.JPG

https://imgur.com/vQRoMjZ

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe that the inductor does negative work on the charges via the electric field (by way of induced EMF).
I am unsure about how the capacitor would be doing positive work, though. Can anyone help steer me in the right direction? The only thing I see as of now is the E field lines pointing to the left, and so the electrons are being pushed clockwise, which is opposite of the current direction.

Attachments

• IMG-1188.JPG
    IMG-1188.JPG
    22.6 KB · Views: 708
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you give a picture of good quality ?

TempPic2.png

TempPic1.png

Attachments

• TempPic1.png
    TempPic1.png
    42.3 KB · Views: 628
  • TempPic2.png
    TempPic2.png
    35 KB · Views: 453
rugerts said:
I believe that the inductor does negative work on the charges via the electric field (by way of induced EMF).
I am unsure about how the capacitor would be doing positive work, though. ... The only thing I see as of now is the E field lines pointing to the left, and so the electrons are being pushed clockwise, which is opposite of the current direction.
I agree the inductor does negative work on the charges.

For the capacitor, remember that conventional current is from +ve to -ve, so your worry, "electrons are being pushed clockwise, which is opposite of the current direction" is unfounded. The positive current is in the opposite direction to that in which the negative electrons move .

For the capacitor to do work on the charges, it has to use its stored energy (in the dielectric) to give energy to the charges, which they then use to cause heating, create magnetic field, to radiate em or to charge another capacitor..

After the switch is closed and the capacitor begins to discharge,the energy stored in the electric field decreases.The capacitor's discharge represents a current in the circuit ,and some energy is now stored in the magnetic field of the inductor.Therefore, energy is transferred from the electric field of the capacitor to the magnetic field of the inductor.Hence,capacitor does positive work.

Merlin3189 said:
I agree the inductor does negative work on the charges.

For the capacitor, remember that conventional current is from +ve to -ve, so your worry, "electrons are being pushed clockwise, which is opposite of the current direction" is unfounded. The positive current is in the opposite direction to that in which the negative electrons move .

For the capacitor to do work on the charges, it has to use its stored energy (in the dielectric) to give energy to the charges, which they then use to cause heating, create magnetic field, to radiate em or to charge another capacitor..

How do you know that it would be doing positive work, other than looking at the fact that the capacitor is losing energy?
I’m trying to look at it in terms of the actual force that does positive work on the charges.
I’m aware current is opposite to actual electron motion, but I just noted this because when I’m thinking about the actual force lines, they only seem to be doing positive work on the electrons.

Raihan amin said:
After the switch is closed and the capacitor begins to discharge,the energy stored in the electric field decreases.The capacitor's discharge represents a current in the circuit ,and some energy is now stored in the magnetic field of the inductor.Therefore, energy is transferred from the electric field of the capacitor to the magnetic field of the inductor.Hence,capacitor does positive work.

Thanks for the reply.
Please see the reply I just made and feel free to answer this as well.

Ok, so the (conventional) current is flowing from the positive plate to the negative. So the negative electrons are moving in the opposite direction, from the negative plate which is repelling them towards the positive plate which is attracting them.
So the charged capacitor plates are exerting a force on the electrons in the same direction in which they are moving. Therefore it is doing positive work.

Later when the emf from the inductor is pushing the electrons towards the negative plate (b to c) then the electrons are doing work on the capacitor. Now the capacitor is doing negative work on the electrons, because the force from the negative plate is repelling the electrons, but they are still moving towards the negative plate (aided by the inductor emf.) Force and movement are in opposite direction, so work is negative.
Edit:
electric_work.png

Attachments

• electric_work.png
    electric_work.png
    15.9 KB · Views: 900
Last edited:
Merlin3189 said:
Ok, so the (conventional) current is flowing from the positive plate to the negative. So the negative electrons are moving in the opposite direction, from the negative plate which is repelling them towards the positive plate which is attracting them.
So the charged capacitor plates are exerting a force on the electrons in the same direction in which they are moving. Therefore it is doing positive work.

Later when the emf from the inductor is pushing the electrons towards the negative plate (b to c) then the electrons are doing work on the capacitor. Now the capacitor is doing negative work on the electrons, because the force from the negative plate is repelling the electrons, but they are still moving towards the negative plate (aided by the inductor emf.) Force and movement are in opposite direction, so work is negative.
Edit:View attachment 235363

Great reply. Thanks for the time and effort.
This is what I suspected. That the work is positive because the electrons are moving in same direction as the force from the electric field.
The second scenario also makes sense.

Thank you again.

1. What is the difference between work done on charges by a capacitor and an inductor?

The main difference between the work done on charges by a capacitor and an inductor is the type of energy storage. A capacitor stores energy in its electric field, while an inductor stores energy in its magnetic field. This leads to differences in the behavior of the two components, including the way they transfer energy to charges.

2. How is work done on charges by a capacitor and an inductor related to the concept of capacitance and inductance?

The work done on charges by a capacitor and an inductor is directly related to the concepts of capacitance and inductance. Capacitance is a measure of a capacitor's ability to store charge, and the larger the capacitance, the more work can be done on the charges by the capacitor. Similarly, inductance is a measure of an inductor's ability to store energy in its magnetic field, and the larger the inductance, the more work can be done on the charges by the inductor.

3. How does the work done on charges by a capacitor and an inductor affect the voltage and current in an electrical circuit?

The work done on charges by a capacitor and an inductor can affect the voltage and current in an electrical circuit in different ways. In a capacitor, the work done increases the voltage across the component, while in an inductor, the work done increases the current flowing through the component. This can lead to changes in the overall behavior of the circuit, such as changes in the frequency or phase of the current.

4. Can the work done on charges by a capacitor and an inductor be negative?

Yes, the work done on charges by a capacitor and an inductor can be negative. This can occur when the component is discharging, and the energy stored in the electric or magnetic field is being released back into the circuit. In this case, the direction of the work done is opposite to the direction of the current flow, resulting in a negative value.

5. How does the work done on charges by a capacitor and an inductor relate to the energy stored in the components?

The work done on charges by a capacitor and an inductor is directly related to the energy stored in the components. The work done is equal to the change in energy stored in the component, so as the work done increases, the energy stored also increases. This relationship is important in understanding the behavior and capabilities of capacitors and inductors in electrical circuits.