Work done to move a point charge

In summary: The work done is just the charge's potential energy converted to kinetic energy. So kq1q2/r. Moving the second charge adds its potential energy to the first charge's potential energy. So q2q1. Moving the last charge adds its potential energy to the second charge's potential energy and the first charge's potential energy to the second charge's potential energy. So q3q2. The total work done is W=qV=kqq/r.
dfetnum

Homework Statement

Three charges, q1, q2, and q3, are located at the corners of an equilateral triangle with side length of 1.49 m. Find the work done in each of the following cases:

a) to bring the first particle, q1 = 1.33 pC, to P from infinity
b) to bring the second particle, q2 = 2.99 pC, to Q from infinity
c) to bring the last particle, q3 = 3.29 pC, to R from infinity
d) Find the total potential energy stored in the final configuration of q1, q2, and q3.

Homework Equations

W=qV=kqq/r

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried doing kq1q2/r +kq1q3/r and got 5.05E-14 Nm but I don't think this is the correct method

Attachments

• xSlQTrh.png
    xSlQTrh.png
    3.2 KB · Views: 571
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
dfetnum said:

Homework Statement

Three charges, q1, q2, and q3, are located at the corners of an equilateral triangle with side length of 1.49 m. Find the work done in each of the following cases:

a) to bring the first particle, q1 = 1.33 pC, to P from infinity
b) to bring the second particle, q2 = 2.99 pC, to Q from infinity
c) to bring the last particle, q3 = 3.29 pC, to R from infinity
d) Find the total potential energy stored in the final configuration of q1, q2, and q3.

Homework Equations

W=qV=kqq/r

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried doing kq1q2/r +kq1q2/r and got 5.05E-14 Nm but I don't think this is the correct method

Calculating differences in potential energy is the correct method. But which part is that supposed to be the solution of? Start with a).

that is my attempt at a. I need to find the potential energy from the two different charges and then add them

dfetnum said:
that is my attempt at a. I need to find the potential energy from the two different charges and then add them

When you move the first charge in there are no other charges around. You haven't placed any other charges yet. a) should be super easy.

so, what equation would that be? The one I am using still has a radius and a place for a second charge

dfetnum said:
so, what equation would that be? The one I am using still has a radius and a place for a second charge

The initial charge is q=0. Put that in.

oh wow, I didnt realize that the total work done was zero if there was no other charge to push against it. Cool, I figured out the rest. Thanks

dfetnum said:
oh wow, I didnt realize that the total work done was zero if there was no other charge to push against it. Cool, I figured out the rest. Thanks

Right. Moving the first charge in is free.

1. What is work done to move a point charge?

The work done to move a point charge is the amount of energy needed to move the charge from one point to another in an electric field.

2. How is work done to move a point charge calculated?

The work done to move a point charge is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the charge by the potential difference between the two points.

3. What units is work done to move a point charge measured in?

Work done to move a point charge is measured in joules (J), which is the standard unit for energy.

4. Can work done to move a point charge be negative?

Yes, work done to move a point charge can be negative if the charge moves in the direction opposite to the electric field. This indicates that the electric field is doing work on the charge.

5. How does the distance between two points affect the work done to move a point charge?

The work done to move a point charge is directly proportional to the distance between the two points. As the distance increases, the work done also increases, and vice versa.